***Survivor: And You Know It's Time To Go (Albums Rd 11)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote OFF the album you like the LEAST

• The Joshua Tree

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • Achtung Baby

Votes: 19 13.2%
  • How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Votes: 92 63.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
bomb is good! think about it, how many weak tracks does it have? one step closer... possibly... a man and a women.... neither are weak.

AB has quite a few average songs, get rid of it! Stop wearing rose tinted specs and vote for the worst album, not the newest.

eh? I thought HTDAAB was well gone last time. Anyway, I get the feeling this one'll be a bit of a walk-over

Achtung Baby has a few GREAT songs on it (One, The Fly, Until The End of the World, Acrobat, etc.), but it sadly has a number of average songs, too (So Cruel, Trying To Throw Your Arms..., Even Better Than The Real Thing, Who's Gonna Ride.., etc.). And since I believe that HTDAAB has a better flow overall, I'm going to have to say goodbye to AB.

I'll miss you, baby.:wink:

Axver said:
Where's a mod to sticky a thread when you need one?

When I posted this thread it was night time USA ie all the Mods were tucked up in their beds. I was actually going to mention this to you today. When you run the singles Survivor please plan what time you post the first thread. lol.

XHendrix24 said:
Achtung Baby has a few GREAT songs on it (One, The Fly, Until The End of the World, Acrobat, etc.), but it sadly has a number of average songs, too (So Cruel, Trying To Throw Your Arms..., Even Better Than The Real Thing, Who's Gonna Ride.., etc.). And since I believe that HTDAAB has a better flow overall, I'm going to have to say goodbye to AB.

I'll miss you, baby.:wink:

EBBTRT, So Cruel: hardly average songs, in fact I'd say they are essential to the make-up and personality of Achtung Baby.

Last edited:
HTDAAB will get kicked for sure in this round, but as always I will vote for Joshua Tree. Only Bullet and WTSHNN rescue JT from being my least favourite album after October, Boy and War.

beli said:

When I posted this thread it was night time USA ie all the Mods were tucked up in their beds. I was actually going to mention this to you today. When you run the singles Survivor please plan what time you post the first thread. lol.

We need an Australian mod, don't we?

I'll try to plan the first singles survivor so that it's posted in our morning.

HTDAAB

how people can vote for AB as the poorest album out of those 3 is beyond me. Simply the finest piece of music U2 have ever created.

My God, HTDAAB again! It's an outrage it's this high.

Axver:

JMO, but I don't really like your set up. I don't think it's fair that you're going to take 1 winner (or runner up) from each heat to go on, because that punishes better albums and rewards shitty ones by having the same representation (number wise) in the final.

List all the singles and let people vote. I don't see why they should be broken down.

There's nearly the EXACT same number of singles pre AB and from AB onwards......so I think you should start with a poll of the pre AB singles.......when you get down to 15, they "make the merge" as you would on the Survivor TV program........then, we'll do AB onwards.........the 15 that survive those polls will also "make the merge".......then the final 30 will compete one by one until we have a winner.

Also, would the tournament consist of voting out the worst A-Side of the bunch? Or do B-Sides, etc...factor into our voting?

B-Sides should factor into the voting, otherwise we're just voting on songs and not singles. Singles are A-Sides AND B-Sides.

Axver:

1)Scrap your setup, it's way too long-winded. Go with BigMacphisto's setup, do a 25-option poll for the eighties and a 26-option poll for the 90s-00s, and when each get down to fifteen, combine them and make a 30-option poll, from which singles will be eliminated until there's a winner.

2)Perhaps you shouldn't include a few, namely the two 'I Will Follow(Live)' singles and the '40' single, because they were only released very scarcely and since most people don't know them, they will vote them off very early, and that will be a waste of several rounds and a waste of time.

3)Make sure you call the 2nd group of singles 90s-00s and not just 90s. We're already halfway through this decade!

4)Better allow only one day for each round. If you do 2-3 days per round like this one, it will be months and months, but if you do 1 day per round, it can be done in a month and a half.

beli said:
Really? Ive only voted for the same three albums this whole game so I haven't had to vote for my favs.
i've only voted for two. i cannot believe people would put a two-month old album up there with albums that've been out 10+ years. albums that've stood the test of time. i just don't think bomb has been out long enough for anyone to fairly say it deserves a spot in the top three.

Good thoughts on the upcoming competition, everyone. B-sides will factor into the voting for sure - that's the whole point. WOWY versus ISHFWILF should be seen in just the same way as JT versus AB - one collection of tracks against another.

These are my nominees for deletion:
- Both live I Will Follow releases. Most people won't have them.
- Numb, because it was a video single. I have this single myself and I think due to its different format, it cannot reasonably compete with CD singles.

I will retain 40 as we all have the War album. We can hear the thing (and its b-side, Two Hearts Beat As One) for ourselves.

The Please single and Popheart EP will be counted as the same release, as will the Unforgettable Fire single and the Wide Awake In America EP.

We'll have the first heat involving 23 singles from the eighties, and then the second heat involving 25 singles from the nineties and 2000s. When 15 are left in each heat, the heat is over. These 30 will then be combined for the final round.

Last edited:
Axver said:
Good thoughts on the upcoming competition, everyone. B-sides will factor into the voting for sure - that's the whole point. WOWY versus ISHFWILF should be seen in just the same way as JT versus AB - one collection of tracks against another.

These are my nominees for deletion:
- Both live I Will Follow releases. Most people won't have them.
- Numb, because it was a video single. I have this single myself and I think due to its different format, it cannot reasonably compete with CD singles.

I will retain 40 as we all have the War album. We can hear the thing (and its b-side, Two Hearts Beat As One) for ourselves.

The Please single and Popheart EP will be counted as the same release, as will the Unforgettable Fire single and the Wide Awake In America EP.

We'll have the first heat involving 23 singles from the eighties, and then the second heat involving 25 singles from the nineties and 2000s. When 15 are left in each heat, the heat is over. These 30 will then be combined for the final round.

Sounds like a well thought out and kick ass system! :up:

Axver

All good except that you shouldn't combine singles. The Please single and the Popheart EP are separate entities. Please is a studio single, Popheart EP is a collection of four live tracks. Count them separately.

WAIA shouldn't be counted at all. It's great, but it's not a single.

And Keep 'Numb'. Zooropa needs to be represented.

namkcuR said:
Axver

All good except that you shouldn't combine singles. The Please single and the Popheart EP are separate entities. Please is a studio single, Popheart EP is a collection of four live tracks. Count them separately.

I was thrown off by this ...

Please single tracklisting from U2Wanderer.org:
* Please (Single Version) (5:36)
* Dirty Day (Junk Day) (4:41)
* Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss) (4:32)
* I'm Not Your Baby (Skysplitter Dub) (5:47) (Instrumental)
* Please (Live from Rotterdam, July 18, 1997) (7:11)
* Where the Streets Have No Name (Live from Rotterdam, July 18, 1997) (6:33)
* With or Without You (Live from Edmonton, June 14, 1997) (4:38)
* Staring at the Sun (Live from Rotterdam, July 18, 1997) (5:33)

I thought to combine them as all the Popheart EP tracks are listed as being on the Please single, but upon checking closer, I see that they are only on the US version, which has Please, the Popheart EP tracks, and none of the b-sides. So I will count them as separate releases.

WAIA shouldn't be counted at all. It's great, but it's not a single.

WAIA's tracks are essentially from the UF single (apart from Bad) and it did appear on some singles charts, but to avoid confusion, I will avoid mentioning it in the competition. I will also exclude the 7 Target EP.

And Keep 'Numb'. Zooropa needs to be represented.

Zooropa is represented by Stay and Lemon. I remain hesitant in adding this one, as the 'b-side' is pretty much made worthwhile by the video. Considering the different format, I'm inclined to exclude it, but if those here think it should stay, I'll keep it.

What shall we do with Stuck and Walk On? They were both released as singles twice, once in Canada and once in Europe/Australia at a different time. The Canadian release of Stuck doesn't share b-sides with the other release of Stuck, and its b-sides don't perfectly correlate with those of the simultaneous European/Australian Walk On release either. Shall the two releases be combined, or shall the simultaneous releases be combined, or will we have all four?

Axver said:

What shall we do with Stuck and Walk On? They were both released as singles twice, once in Canada and once in Europe/Australia at a different time. The Canadian release of Stuck doesn't share b-sides with the other release of Stuck, and its b-sides don't perfectly correlate with those of the simultaneous European/Australian Walk On release either. Shall the two releases be combined, or shall the simultaneous releases be combined, or will we have all four?

Well, when I burned all the singles to CD for myself, I combined them. If I remember correctly, one of the Stuck singles is rather short, like four tracks maybe, while other has six or seven. Same with Walk On. So combine the two Stucks and combine the two Walk Ons, imo. Basically there's nothing on the shorter versions of each that isn't on the longer versions, if that makes any sense.

Axver said:

Zooropa is represented by Stay and Lemon. I remain hesitant in adding this one, as the 'b-side' is pretty much made worthwhile by the video. Considering the different format, I'm inclined to exclude it, but if those here think it should stay, I'll keep it.

I still say it should be included.

beli said:
Okay. I just wandered off, changed the babys nappy & clothes, put a load of clothes washing in the machine, put a load of clothes drying in that machine, washed the dishes, and returned and NOONE has voted! :mad:

That's because everybody sucks, all that's left is the dregs.

goat

I vote for Joshua Tree because although it is a great record it is also by far U2s most over rated record and I think Bomb is just as good and better then Joshua Tree, albeit very marginally.

I would love to see Achtung Baby win this contest and maybe I will believe it has become U2s new golden standard.

HTDAAB. Again. :| Next round will be gut-wrenching for me :(

Just wanted to add:
Kudos to you Axver for taking on the mammoth task of organizing the Singles Survivor, and to you Beli for handling this one! :applaud:
These polls are really fun and I love seeing how passionate U2 fans are about their favourite U2 songs/albums!

*Paces up and down and up and down......*

Which one?

:scream: :confused:

Okay.... Bomb gets it, but only just....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom