***Survivor: A Single At The Heartbreak Hotel (Eighties Singles Rd 8)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote OFF the single you like the LEAST

• Out Of Control (single version)/Stories For Boys (single version)/Boy-Girl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11 O’clock Tick Tock/Touch

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • I Will Follow/Boy-Girl (live)/Out Of Control (live)

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Fire/J. Swallow/11 O’clock Tick Tock (live)/The Ocean (live)/The Cry --> The Electric Co. (live)

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Gloria/I Will Follow (live)

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • A Celebration/Trash, Trampoline, And The Party Girl

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • New Year’s Day/Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)/I Threw A Brick (live)/A Day Without M

• Two Hearts Beat As One/Endless Deep/New Year’s Day (US Remix)/THBAO mixes

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday/Endless Deep/New Year’s Day (US Remix)/THBAO 7” Edit/THBAO (US remix)

• Pride/Boomerang I/Boomerang II/4th Of July (long)/11 O’clock Tick Tock (long)/Touch

• The Unforgettable Fire/The Three Sunrises/Love Comes Tumbling/Bass Trap/Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Com

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • With Or Without You/Luminous Times/Walk To The Water

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For/Spanish Eyes/Deep In The Heart

• Where The Streets Have No Name/Silver And Gold/The Sweetest Thing (original version)/Race Against Ti

• Desire/Hallelujah (Here She Comes)/Desire (Hollywood Remix)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • All I Want Is You (single edit and album version)/Unchained Melody/Everlasting Love

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Another close round with low participation saw the ultimate non-winner as ...

ANGEL OF HARLEM

Non-winners list
7. Angel Of Harlem
6. One Tree Hill
5. A Day Without Me
4. In God's Country
3. Another Day
2. 40
1. When Love Comes To Town

Full results for the previous round
Angel Of Harlem - 13 votes
A Celebration - 10
Gloria - 9
Fire - 8
11 O'clock Tick Tock - 3
Two Hearts Beat As One - 3
Desire - 2
I Will Follow - 1
Out Of Control - 1
The remainder received zero votes.

Total votes = 50

Heat #1: Eighties Singles - Round Eight

is now open. Please vote by clicking in the circle next to the single you like the LEAST on the electronic poll above. Thank you.

This is the LAST ROUND of Heat #1. The remaining fifteen will progress to the final round. Tomorrow, the first round of Heat #2: 90s/00s Singles will begin.

Please be aware that you are voting on the WHOLE single release, not the individual a-side. In the same way that album survivor involved whole albums with their full complement of tracks competing against each other, singles survivor will involve whole singles with their full complement of tracks competing against each other.

This is a ONE day timed electronic poll.

Instructions:

Voting

Each round please vote off the single you like the least. The single with the most amount of votes is the the least popular for this round. Voting is anonymous. It's not compulsory to state your preference in the thread.

Next round all the singles are listed again, minus the single that receives the most amount of votes this round. And again please vote for your least favourite single from the selection.

And on we go for many rounds until there's only two singles left. In the last round you vote for your favourite out of the two. The last single standing is the most popular (or the least unpopular depending on how you look at it).

Tie Breaker

In the event of a tie, both or all tied singles will be instantly eliminated from the competition.

Have fun!

My vote went to Gloria. A live I Will Follow is not only a pretty weak b-side, but we have plenty of those anyway. At least the other singles have original recordings as b-sides.

Axver said:
My vote went to Gloria. A live I Will Follow is not only a pretty weak b-side, but we have plenty of those anyway. At least the other singles have original recordings as b-sides.

My thoughts exactly.

Aardvark747 said:

Ditto.

And sorry to see Angel Of Harlem go. :|
Oh well, other good singles will follow.

Speaking of which, Axver, the Gloria single isn't the only one left with no original B-sides. The I Will Follow also only has a live recording. ;)

Popmartijn said:
Speaking of which, Axver, the Gloria single isn't the only one left with no original B-sides. The I Will Follow also only has a live recording. ;)

Oh, that's true! Ha, you'd think I'd notice that, seeing I'm running the competition!

Well, in that case ... the I Will Follow single is better because it contains MORE. Same logic that led me to kick 40 before IGC/OTH.

And who in the world voted for WOWY? I want that to win the entire competition (or Pride or UF). Luminous Times should have been on JT.

OK folks, tomorrow, I'll be starting the 90s/00s heat. The listing has been a bit difficult, but I think I have one I'm happy with. Once I begin, I am NOT changing it. If you have a problem with this list or want to make a suggestion, you have about twelve hours to speak up.

Remember before commenting that we are voting on the whole worldwide release without country bias, thus we are voting on the release as a whole and not individual versions.

- The Fly/Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk-Korova 1/The Lounge Fly Mix
- Mysterious Ways/Numerous remixes
- One/Lady With The Spinning Head/Satellite Of Love/Night And Day (Steel String Remix)
- Even Better Than The Real Thing/Salome/Where Did It All Go Wrong?/Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)/Numerous EBTTRT remixes
- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (both Temple Bar Edit and Remix)/Paint It Black/Fortunate Son/Salome (Zooromancer Remix)/Can't Help Falling In Love With You (Triple Peaks Remix)
- Numb/Numb (Video Remix)/Love Is Blindness [Note: video single]
- Lemon/Numerous remixes
- Stay (Faraway, So Close!)/I've Got You Under My Skin/Slow Dancing (without Willie Nelson)/Lemon (Bad Yard Club Edit)/Lemon (The Perfecto Mix)/Bullet The Blue Sky (live)/Love Is Blindness (live)
- Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me/Themes From Batman Forever [NOT U2]/Tell Me Now [NOT U2]
- Miss Sarajevo/One (live)/Bottoms (Watashitachi No Ookina Yume) [Zoo Station Remix]/Viva Davidoff
- Discotheque/Holy Joe (Garage Mix)/Holy Joe (Guilty Mix)/Numerous Discotheque remixes
- Staring At The Sun/North And South Of The River/Your Blue Room/Numerous SATS Remixes
- Last Night On Earth (Single Mix)/Last Night On Earth (First Night In Hell Mix)/Pop Muzik (Popmart Mix)/Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun and Danny Saber Mixes)/Numb (Soul Assassins Mix)
- [Popheart EP] Please (live)/Where The Streets Have No Name (live)/With Or Without You (live)/Staring At The Sun (live)
- Please (single version)/Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix)/Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss)/I'm Not Your Baby (Skysplitter Dub)
- If God Will Send His Angels (single version)/Slow Dancing (featuring Willie Nelson)/Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad/Sunday Bloody Sunday (live)/Mofo (Romin Remix)
- Mofo remixes/If God Will Send His Angels (The Grand Jury Mix)
- The Sweetest Thing (single version)/Twilight (live)/An Cat Dubh --> Into The Heart (live)/Stories For Boys (live)/Out Of Control (live)/With Or Without You
- Beautiful Day/Summer Rain/Always/Discotheque (live)/If You Wear That Velvet Dress (live)/Last Night On Earth (live)
- Stuck In A Moment/Stuck In A Moment (acoustic)/Big Girls Are Best/Beautiful Day remixes/Elevation (Vandit Club Remix)/live performances of Beautiful Day, New York, All I Want Is You, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Stay
- Elevation remixes/Beautiful Day remixes/Don't Take Your Guns To Town/Last Night On Earth (live)/I Remember You (live)/New York (live)/I Will Follow (live)
- Walk On (various edits)/Stuck In A Moment (acoustic)/Elevation (Vandit Club Mix)/Stay (live)/Where The Streets Have No Name (live)/Gone (live)
- Electrical Storm/Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix)/New York (Nice and Nasty Mixes)/Bad --> 40 --> Where The Streets Have No Name (live)
- Vertigo/Are You Gonna Wait Forever?/Neon Lights/Vertigo remixes
- All Because Of You/Fast Cars (Jacknife Lee Mix)
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own/Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (live)/Fast Cars (Jacknife Lee Mix)/Ave Maria (Jacknife Lee Mix)/Vertigo (Redanka Power Mix)/Vertigo (Trent Reznor Mix)

Axver said:
OK folks, tomorrow, I'll be starting the 90s/00s heat. The listing has been a bit difficult, but I think I have one I'm happy with. Once I begin, I am NOT changing it. If you have a problem with this list or want to make a suggestion, you have about twelve hours to speak up.

Why are you starting tomorrow with the 90s/00s heat? There are still plenty of singles left on the 80s list. :eyebrow:

- Even Better Than The Real Thing/Salome/Where Did It All Go Wrong?/Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)/Numerous EBTTRT remixes

Could this one maybe be split up in 2 singles. They weren't released simultaneously and thus charted separately. The remix single even charted higher than the real thing. :wink:

- Numb/Numb (Video Remix)/Love Is Blindness [Note: video single]

As you note, it is a video only single. So should it make the list?

- Miss Sarajevo/One (live)/Bottoms (Watashitachi No Ookina Yume) [Zoo Station Remix]/Viva Davidoff

Not a U2 single, so should it make the list. Yes, I know that the HMTMKMKM single also featured 2 tracks not by U2, but the A-side was. If you do want to include this one, then the Mission: Impossible single should be included too. ;)

- [Popheart EP] Please (live)/Where The Streets Have No Name (live)/With Or Without You (live)/Staring At The Sun (live)
- Please (single version)/Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix)/Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss)/I'm Not Your Baby (Skysplitter Dub)

Shouldn't these two be combined as it was one simultaneous release for Please?

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
Why are you starting tomorrow with the 90s/00s heat? There are still plenty of singles left on the 80s list. :eyebrow:

You can't have more than 30 options on the poll, so we're holding two heats, one for the eighties singles and one for 90s/00s singles, culling them down to 15 each for a final round of 30.

Could this one maybe be split up in 2 singles. They weren't released simultaneously and thus charted separately. The remix single even charted higher than the real thing. :wink:

I'd like to know what the general consensus is on this one. I wanted to do them together, but you raise a valid point. How far apart were the releases and were both versions released everywhere? I'm trying to combine regional versions together under the banner of the whole worldwide release.

As you note, it is a video only single. So should it make the list?

That was debated earlier, before I even started the eighties singles, and I was talked into including it. It was a single, albeit just a different format. We're not excluding early singles on the grounds that they were only released on a limited range of formats so Numb shouldn't be eliminated either.

Not a U2 single, so should it make the list. Yes, I know that the HMTMKMKM single also featured 2 tracks not by U2, but the A-side was. If you do want to include this one, then the Mission: Impossible single should be included too. ;)

I think we could argue this one forever and not get anywhere. As it appears on the Best Of, I feel it should be included. Plus, it's a great single.

Shouldn't these two be combined as it was one simultaneous release for Please?

I did have them combined, but then someone else argued that they were two totally separate releases, the Please single and the Popheart EP, so ... I don't know what to do.

Axver said:

Oh, that's true! Ha, you'd think I'd notice that, seeing I'm running the competition!

Well, in that case ... the I Will Follow single is better because it contains MORE. Same logic that led me to kick 40 before IGC/OTH.

And who in the world voted for WOWY? I want that to win the entire competition (or Pride or UF). Luminous Times should have been on JT.

If not With Or Without You, it should be I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For or Where The Streets Have No Name. All three have amazing A-sides and the best b-sides U2 has ever recorded. Luminous Times, Walk To The Water, Spanish Eyes, Deep In The Heart, The Sweetest Thing, Silver And Gold, Race Against Time.... Is there a bad song among those? Nope....

Axver said:

I did have them combined, but then someone else argued that they were two totally separate releases, the Please single and the Popheart EP, so ... I don't know what to do.

If you include EP's with singles, you should have included Wide Awake In America in the 80s ones.... :eyebrow: ... right?

the tourist said:

If you include EP's with singles, you should have included Wide Awake In America in the 80s ones.... :eyebrow: ... right?

The UF single might as well be Wide Awake In America ...

namkcuR said:
Please and Popheart were different releases.

And does WAIA have the letters 'EP' anywhere on it?

No, you've got a point -- but I bought the Please single and it came with a tracklisting of....

Please (Single Version)
Please (Live At Rotterdam)
Where The Streets Have No Name (Live At Rotterdam)
With Or Without You (Live At Rotterdam)
Staring At The Sun (Live At Rotterdam)

Pretty much the same thing as Popheart only with the single version of Please on it. And it didn't have EP on it either. I think it's very silly that Wide Awake In America can't belong in Singles or Albums survivor. It's rather upsetting that it has to be in a category of its own whilst Popheart does not.

In other words, if Wide Awake In America isn't an EP, wouldn't that make it a single (since it's so short)?

And Axver, you're right that it's basically the same as UF.... But without Bad.

the tourist said:

No, you've got a point -- but I bought the Please single and it came with a tracklisting of....

Please (Single Version)

Pretty much the same thing as Popheart only with the single version of Please on it. And it didn't have EP on it either. I think it's very silly that Wide Awake In America can't belong in Singles or Albums survivor. It's rather upsetting that it has to be in a category of its own whilst Popheart does not.

My understanding from what I have read on U2Wanderer.org is that in the US, only the Please single was released, and it had the Popheart EP b-sides. Elsewhere, the Popheart EP was released (only live tracks) and the Please single was ALSO released, with original b-sides/mixes. Hence why they are currently split.

And WAIA/UF single was basically doubling up. I understand the release of WAIA was only inspired by highly successful sales of UF single imports anyway.

the tourist said:

Please (Single Version)

Hi there, just wanted to point out that the With Or Without You on that ep was recorded live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada, not Rotterdam. I was at that show and couldn't believe when it came out on cd. :drool: :drool:

theedge111 said:

Hi there, just wanted to point out that the With Or Without You on that ep was recorded live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada, not Rotterdam. I was at that show and couldn't believe when it came out on cd. :drool: :drool:

I didn't have the sleave in front of me when I wrote what I did, but now that you mention it, I was wrong and you are right. :reject:

Just a few minutes until the next round begins ... at the moment, I'm sticking with the tracklisting I posted last night. I've debated whether or not split EBTTRT and I've chosen not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom