Survey for my report on U2 and politics--please read!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung_Bebe

New Yorker
I have a report due on April 11th, topic of my choice, I chose "U2 lead singer Bono and how rock stardom can influence politics."

We have to incorporate a survey taken by atleast 50 poeple into the report, consisting of a minimum of 3 questions. Ofcourse, I went with the minimum number
biggrin.gif
Please answer these three questions--I'd really appreciate it! Feel free to comment on your answers, they may be useful for my report as well. I assume this is a good place to conduct the survey, being that as U2 fans y'all have a greater knowledge of the subject matter--people at my school would be like "U-Who?" :

1) Has U2's music urged you to reconsider or change your own beliefs on any political level? (YES/NO)

2) Do you view Bono's active role in politics as a publicity move? (YES/NO)

3) Which of these four politically charged U2 songs is your favorite?
A) Sunday Bloody Sunday
B) New Years Day
C) Bullet the Blue Sky
D) Seconds

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
I have a report due on April 11th, topic of my choice, I chose "U2 lead singer Bono and how rock stardom can influence politics."

We have to incorporate a survey taken by atleast 50 poeple into the report, consisting of a minimum of 3 questions. Ofcourse, I went with the minimum number
biggrin.gif
Please answer these three questions--I'd really appreciate it! Feel free to comment on your answers, they may be useful for my report as well. I assume this is a good place to conduct the survey, being that as U2 fans y'all have a greater knowledge of the subject matter--people at my school would be like "U-Who?" :

1) Has U2's music urged you to reconsider or change your own beliefs on any political level? (YES/NO)

A) Sunday Bloody Sunday
B) New Years Day
C) Bullet the Blue Sky
D) Seconds
1 No
2 No, but it help selling records
3 Bullet the blue sky

oh damn, forgot to comment. Thus the editing.

1. Yes.
I'm applying for the Peace Corps, a decision that was indirectly motivated by Bono's work with AIDS and Africa.
2. No.
Bono has been involved with causes for about 20 years now. He does his research and isn't a fly-by-night celebrity with a temporary cause.
3. Bullet the Blue Sky
It is versatile enough to remain relevant.

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 04-03-2002).]

1. Yes (meaning, he's caused me to open my eyes to many issues I may not have taken the iniative to examine. But he hasn't exactly made me change my views - I always agreed with him to start with )

2. No

3. A (explanation: Larry's drums)

1) No, the music hasn't urged me to change my beliefs, however, it has opened my eyes to various struggle's going on in the world. Researching these struggles further has helped me to develop my belief system, and my political stance.

2) No. I belive that Bono has used his celebrity to get involved in politics, however, in my opinion, he is doing it for the best possible reason. Because he cares.

3)Bullet the Blue Sky.

Mmm...he's raised my awareness, to be sure, but I don't think he's actually changed my mind about specific issues. But awareness is important so I'll say YES.

No-- he invests too much genuine time, energy and sweat into it. If he wanted more publicity, he'd just do the photo op.

A) Sunday Bloody Sunday
B) New Years Day
C) Bullet the Blue Sky
D) Seconds[/B]

Ah jeeze....no Peace on Earth? Okay, it's hard to beat Sunday Bloody Sunday for sheer power.

Good luck on your paper.

Cheryl

------------------
You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

1) Has U2's music urged you to reconsider or change your own beliefs on any political level?

Yes

2) Do you view Bono's active role in politics as a publicity move?

No

C) Bullet the Blue Sky

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 04-03-2002).]

1)Not really -- more like an affirmation of some of my beliefs. Probably what impressed me more was that he met with Jesse Helms, a man whose political views I usually don't agree with, and was able to convince him of the necessity of global debt relief. He and Helms helped to build a bridge to get what needed to be done _done_, and I'm proud of both of them.

2)There might be a little bit of an ego working there with Bono -- but then again, that's why he's a rock star!
wink.gif
More seriously, he seems to really be committed to doing the research needed to present his case persuasively, and I admire him for that and his heartfelt passion.

3)BTBS, but because of Edge's guitar solo. My bad!
icon33.gif

------------------
"Bono! Stop waving at innocent bystanders!
-- Edge

biggrin.gif

A) Sunday Bloody Sunday
B) New Years Day
C) Bullet the Blue Sky
D) Seconds

1. Yes; U2's messages have, at the very least, encouraged me to be more sensitive toward all political issues and to try to have an open mind when discussing politics.

2. Yes; Bono is receiving publicity for his actions. Publicity for Third World debt, Publicity for Africa, Publicity for U2 and Publicity for himself. Bono's activism and publicity is a positive thing. Even if one disagrees with Bono, they still could see that what he is doing is positive.

3. Bullet the Blue Sky

Good Luck with the report.

Some questions for you, if I may::
1. where are you from?
2. What grade or college yr. are you in?
3. Do most people in your school REALLY not know who U2 is? I find that extremely hard to believe. Even if they don't like U2, how could they not have heard of them? Considering all of the promotion that they have received recently, I would be shocked if many people at your school did not know of them. Well, if they are unfamiliar with them, you are just gonna have to familiarize them yourself! Good luck!

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 04-03-2002).]

A) Sunday Bloody Sunday
B) New Years Day
C) Bullet the Blue Sky
D) Seconds

1 - Yes
2 - No
3 - New Years Day

Good luck with your report.
smile.gif

YEs..indirecly in a fairly drastic way...they led me to join amnesty international..which led me more specific groups like Oklahoma Coalition on the Death Penalty...also, they got me intersted in reading about Martin Luther King and Mandela

No..anyone who spends his freetime speed reading economic manuals must really care about his cause....

New Years Day

1) No. I don't think I'll change my political view because of their music. I respect their points of view, but afterall I have my own beliefs.

2) No. Actually I think he is using his publicity to acheive his active role in politics.

3)B) New Years Day

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
1. Yes (meaning, he's caused me to open my eyes to many issues I may not have taken the iniative to examine. But he hasn't exactly made me change my views - I always agreed with him to start with )

2. No

3. A (explanation: Larry's drums)

Just like oliveu2cm:

Yes
No
SBS

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

Back
Top Bottom