Surrender!! to this thread and let me know if ya dig the song.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
I very rarely hear anyone mention this song, so I thought I would dedicate a thread to it. For those not aware, War is my fave U2 album and I actually never skip refugee on this album. But the song that really got me into this album was Surrender, I mean it was the song that made me go 'wow!!!!!'

Love the soaring edge guitar and the fading out with the female singers- "oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh!!!'- just the perfect way to get into 40.

So who else out there shares a major love of Surrender???:)

I wouldn't say a major love but I became a fan of that song after seeing its performance opening the red rocks in 83; the guys entering the stage running, edge's sliding guitar and that bono's backfall to the crowd makes it one of those unique u2 live moments.
Yeah, I must say that I prefer its rawness live than the way it was cooked on war (especially the choral voices on the chorus). I think the lyrics are great also, I realy like the "Sadie" part.

As final note, war is one of the masterpices albuns for me also along with achtung baby.

I ADORE SURRENDER! I used to think it opened Red Rocks gig before I checked the setlist - it really was Out Of Control - and it was love at first listen. I saw it on UABRS before I heard it on War, and both performances did - and still do - blow me away. Surrender should open the next tour! *begins lobbying*

Surrender does not make me say Wow, but it definitely is a kick a$$ tune. Much better than 99% of what's out there today. It was good in the early 80's and still fantastic today.

Yeah, War's my favourite U2 album too, just etches out over JT. I also liked Surrender more after seeing the live version on UABLS, but who's Sadie, am I a dummy for not knowing?

love it because of the great guitar part
& indeed that brilliant finale to the song

Axver said:
Surrender should open the next tour! *begins lobbying*

I totally agree with this, well maybe just the Brisbane gig- I notice that you are in Queensland Axver, so if they open with surrender at the Brisbane gig, then they will be keeping us happy:wink:

and Bedouin Fire- I am so, so, so envious that you saw them back in 83, thankfully at least there are vids and dvds:)

I love this song! I gained an even deeper appreciation for it when I was listening to the Music Choice alternative rock channel on cable one day and it came on. Hearing that intro when I wasn't anticipating it just knocked me off my feet!

cant say im the biggest fan of the song but it is really good.....persoanly i find it on par with the refugee but a lot better than the weakest songs on the album 40 and red light......good track...

I prefer the UABRS version, but I really like Surrender too.

thrillme said:
who's Sadie, am I a dummy for not knowing?

Sadie is a homeless woman Bono met one day in a city, I think it was New York. Apparently he liked her outlook on life or something along those lines.

Originally posted by OzAurora
I totally agree with this, well maybe just the Brisbane gig- I notice that you are in Queensland Axver, so if they open with surrender at the Brisbane gig, then they will be keeping us happy

Yes, they'll be keeping us extremely happy. Surrender for Brisbane '05/'06! And I hope you know they'll be playing my backyard and I'm devising the setlist, so Surrender will open the show there!

OzAurora said:

and Bedouin Fire- I am so, so, so envious that you saw them back in 83, thankfully at least there are vids and dvds:)

don't be... 'cause i didn't. I was referring to the red rocks video that i just saw for the first time in 89 or so.

Axver said:

Yes, they'll be keeping us extremely happy. Surrender for Brisbane '05/'06! And I hope you know they'll be playing my backyard and I'm devising the setlist, so Surrender will open the show there!

Sounds good Axver ...

I just revisited Surrender yesterday and indeed it's a great song! Perfectly positioned on War and a great lead-in to 40.

:up:
I hadn't this song for several years because I had to give up spacewise, alot of Vinyl albums- even including some by my most fav artists. I had JT, AB on tape and ATYCLB on CD, plus some older U2 singles. I was far from berefted of their music.

I rebought October & War reccently on CD. There were songs I was very much waiting to hear again. Some I'd forgotten about.--like Surrender! Altho I definatley had remebered the chorus vocals.

I had forgotten that the lyrics were spinning out a desperite story. This was one I followed more for the music alone [except the 'surrender' line].

I love Edge's sliding, then going intojagged 'edged' notes being rippied off. Chorus is cool. I don't know the other version.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: yep love it too! One of my faves from War, the year I became a U2 fan! (1983)

Eek! just went to play the War cd and the disc is not in its case! grrrr were the hell has that gone?

Last edited:
'Surrender' holds the DNA for songs such as 'Even Better Than The Real Thing'. You think I'm joking? Listen to the sliding guitar. In many ways, Achtung Baby started with the War album.

You know, I never realised that, Mister Griffiths ...

stagman said:
I love it on the album and especially live!!!

Yeah, play it in Brisvegas!!
It can be the '11'OClock Tick Tock' of the new tour!

Yes! And 11 O'clock Tick Tock can be the Beautiful Day or Elevation of the new tour - played at every show!

*loves 11OTT*

Michael Griffiths said:
'Surrender' holds the DNA for songs such as 'Even Better Than The Real Thing'. You think I'm joking? Listen to the sliding guitar. In many ways, Achtung Baby started with the War album.

this is a very good point that you have raised here, and I can hear it, very clever indeed.

Im so glad to know I am not alone in loving this song, I recently made a u2 cd of my fave songs for my car and I have found myself just repeating surrender over and over again :)

Back
Top Bottom