Surprising Places to Hear a U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prisz25

War Child
There you are minding your own business when all the sudden a U2 song is being played over the speakers... and somewhere you Least expect it...

Where were you?and what song?

Today I was at Starbucks( the best coffee shop EVER) and I was ordering my coffee and I hear New Year's Day out of the blue! At starbucks you usually hear all that artsy jazz music! I was so happy I was like FINALLY SOME GOOD MUSIC! I must have looked so dumb but I started singing along and dancing while I was waiting for my coffee but it was totally worth it!

Hmmm... One of the most unexpected places was probably at the park on Canada Day a few years back. They had just started the fireworks and Streets came on the speakers. That made my day.

At work. On our Muzak. City of Blinding Lights came on. I stared up at the ceiling, mouth agape, in utter shock.

I heard "Miracle Drug" while Fox was giving the Massachusetts state lottery numbers.

"Where the Streets Have No Name" while playing blackjack at the Monte Carlo in Vegas.

I was at a shop in the dressing room trying on some pants. Over the loudspeakers they were playing a lot of disco music when all of a sudden Pride in the name of love came on as I was taking the pants off. I guess it caught me off gaurd because next thing I know I was on the floor with the pants around my ankles and I guess my hysterical laughter brought my friend and a sales clerk running into my changing room. I have to tell you it was'nt a pretty site. That was 5 yrs ago and I still get ribbed about it.

When my sister dragged me into that store Claire's at the mall, ABOY was playing. Then later at the poser/goth joint of my school Hot Topic, I heard Mofo blasting from there

Well, it's not really the same, but I was completely shocked to find 'Wild Honey' was played in the movie Vanilla Sky.

miss becky said:
At work. On our Muzak. City of Blinding Lights came on. I stared up at the ceiling, mouth agape, in utter shock.

...forgot to look back down again and continued walking through your office with a large stack of files and went straight through a 10th floor window and here you are now............???

sorry, the mental image was too much!!

BUT, however random your experiences may be...I don't think they will EVER beat MY visit to the PLAYMOBIL FACTORY in Malta. That's right...PLAYMOBIL...

We were in the main entrance staring at a load of giant playmobil figures and checking out some of the products on the shelf before going off on a tour of the factory...I cupped an ear to the radio playing over the lobby in this land of happiness and joy to hear Radiohead's "PYRAMIND SONG"........not U2, but then again.............................erm...yes.

blahblahblah said:

...forgot to look back down again and continued walking through your office with a large stack of files and went straight through a 10th floor window and here you are now............???

LOL! Too bad I work on the 3rd floor. I'm sure my co-workers were laughing at me, though. :wink:

blahblahblah said:

BUT, however random your experiences may be...I don't think they will EVER beat MY visit to the PLAYMOBIL FACTORY in Malta. That's right...PLAYMOBIL...

We were in the main entrance staring at a load of giant playmobil figures and checking out some of the products on the shelf before going off on a tour of the factory...I cupped an ear to the radio playing over the lobby in this land of happiness and joy to hear Radiohead's "PYRAMIND SONG"........not U2, but then again.............................erm...yes.

Playmobil? Do they still make those things? I had the ever-so-politically-incorrect cowboys and indians set as a kid. And the farm one, with all these very very small chickens (don't ask me why I remember that). I loved those things!

Crumbs came on in a Red Lobster, of all places, a couple of weeks ago when I went with my mom. I stopped in mid-sentence and started singing along. :eek: :coocoo:

Oh, Elevation came in when I was walking through a Macy's awhile back. I will never speak of that again.

Not really a "place", but surprising none the less: 1st time I heard "Desire" during an NFL game. :ohmy: And as I've since learned, it wasn't just a fluke - somebody with the NFL loves U2. :yes: "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Beautiful Day", "Desire", "Elevation".... I hear them whether catching a game on FOX, ABC, CBS, or ESPN. :up: :up: :up: :D

The entire ATYCLB album at a demolition derby!! That's the funniest, IMO. I can just imagine how well the sounds of 'Grace' and bending metal go together.

At a Dodger game last spring, they blasted Beautiful Day during the pre-game music. It was a beautiful day, so I guess this doesn't qualify. :|

The last time I heard U2 in Dodger Stadium was October 1992 ZooTV!

Oh yeah, also California Pizza Kitchen they blast them all the time, Vertigo, ABOY, SYCMIOYO, usually bookended by Hillary Duff and Ashlee Simpson. :| At least they're "fuckin up the mainstream"!

And last night at the movies before Sin City.

Of all the songs to play, "Wild Honey" came on the loud speakers before a Texas Rangers game two summers ago.

I was understandbly dumbfounded.

A remix of Vertigo in a radio station's ad for Alter Ego Night at a club downtown. :confused:

And once a few years ago I was walking past an art gallery which was apparently having some sort of function and Elevation was blaring through the open doors.

Last edited:
I was sitting in the waiting room of the local Chevy dealer a couple months ago, eating a sandwich while waiting for the mechanics to change the oil in my car when I heard "With or Without You" on the radio.

i heard a new years day remix coming from a dressy italian resturaunt in europe a few years ago.

"sometimes" came on the radio while i was trying on wedding dresses. my friend said it was a sign that the dress i was trying at the time was the one! (it was her fave so she was using my U2 fandom to sway me)!
no, i didn´t get it!

Nothing surprising so far, maybe this one is though.

I was at my parents awhile ago (they are both in their 70s) and while I'm talking to my mother in the kitchen I hear Streets blaring from the tv room. My father is the only one in there (and practically deaf which would explain the volume) and watching PBS, yes PB-freakin-S (the only channel my parents watch) and there is a promotional ad on for a ballet show called something like "Masterpiece Performances" thats using Streets for the audio instead of say, Swan Lake or whatever you'd hear if you actually watched that show.

Our band is beyond classic rock.

Back
Top Bottom