Surprised and Disappointed in many of you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I started the thread and I'd like to update my 2 cents.:wink:

Perhaps the thread title gave the impression I'm criticizing folks that hate the last 2 albums. I'm not. I had actually taken a pretty long break from U2 and then a friend let me borrow ATYCLB one day. RIght from the get-go I thought it was pretty awesome. Elevation, Walk On, Kite, and When I look at the world just blew me away. Then when I saw them back-to-back nights in Providence in 2001 I was even more blown away.

I honestly thought that I was just jumping on board with everyone else in regards to ATYCLB. So, when I see people rating it near the bottom of their personal lists I'm just shocked. I truly do not see how a long time U2 fan could have a problem with this album. Same with Bomb. It certainly didn't blow me away and I was actually pretty pissed that it sucked so bad. But after force feeding it to myself I have come to look at it in a completely different light. I really think it's a great, great album.

That's all. I could care less what anyone around here thinks of these two albums.......it's just that my initial reaction to the posts after I joined the boards was that of utter surprise at the feedback I saw.

Now, I'm not exactly very new around here now (I have over 100) but I am willing to bet that I am younger than a lot of you. Who is younger than 15?

HTDAAB was the first U2 album I bought, and I liked it pretty much straight away, and got more into it with every listen. I rated it 10/10 on Metacritic.

ATYCLB was the second album I bought and I didn't like it mcuh at first, but with more listens, I really got into it.

Joshua87, you mentioned you hate 9 out of 11 songs on that album. Which are the two you like?

BTW, welcome to the forums WalkOnTheEdge! :wave:

PS - Stupid little fact I discovered at 12am last night - if you put the letters CD at the end of Achtung Baby, it is the first four letters of the alphabet. ABCD.

COBL_04 said:

PS - Stupid little fact I discovered at 12am last night - if you put the letters CD at the end of Achtung Baby, it is the first four letters of the alphabet. ABCD.

:lol: brilliant.

I'm 16, but I've been lurking here since I was 12, no joke.

I love both of these albums, and I think lots of people here do. Some people just have very strong opinions on how they think the band is headed:up:

this just in from cnn headline news:

Quote:
The universe will officially obliterate tommorrow at 3:47pm est. The reason? Some u2 fans are less than thrilled with their last two albums. It's a shame they couldn't have been more enthusiastic. While we wait for our imminent fate, let's watch the latest video from eminem.

COBL_04 said:

Joshua87, you mentioned you hate 9 out of 11 songs on that album. Which are the two you like?

COBL, I like Crumbs and Original a lot. Love and Peace is OK, and I think COBL had potential. But the rest of the album brings down the latter two; it is a bunch of mediocre to terrible songs that have no flow with eachother at all. It sounds completely forced, like they sat down and said, "ok, lets write a song about science, and then one about men and women." None of them have U2's emotion, there's no magic at all.

There are a lot of people who love both ATYCLB & HTDAAB....
a lot of people!

I think we can better see who likes them instead of who hates them
Can we?

Joshua87 said:
COBL, I like Crumbs and Original a lot. Love and Peace is OK, and I think COBL had potential. But the rest of the album brings down the latter two; it is a bunch of mediocre to terrible songs that have no flow with eachother at all. It sounds completely forced, like they sat down and said, "ok, lets write a song about science, and then one about men and women." None of them have U2's emotion, there's no magic at all.

Yeah, I think that's a pretty good point actually. I doesn't change my opinion on HTDAAB, but I can see where you're coming from.
ATYCLB had a fair bit of emotion in it though, IMO.

I think what you'll find is that so many are a fan of pre-ATYCLB U2 and have been around since U2-3 and Boy aren't going to think that any new album U2 releases is a classic. They might like it, but they're stuck in the past as well.

I don't think that ATYCLB and HTDAAB were ever really criticised that much since I've been here. Seriously, they are one or two recent threads lying around on how HTDAAB didn't match up to standards, but the positive threads for these two albums outweigh the negitive. Their has been countless 'Appreciation threads' for songs from ATYCLB and at last count I think there was about 5 or 6 threads to do with HTDAAB singles.

To be honest, I can't remember seeing a ATYCLB-dissing thread.

All IMO

ATYCLB

GREAT SONGS: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite
GOOD SONGS: In A Little While, Peace On Earth, When I look at the world, New York
OK SONGS: Wild Honey
SHIT SONGS: Elevation, Stuck in a moment, Grace

HTDAAB

GREAT SONGS: City of Blinding Lights, Crumbs from your table, One Step Closer, Yahweh
GOOD SONGS: Sometimes
OK SONGS: Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Love and Peace, Original of the species
SHIT SONGS: All Because of you, a man and a woman

Overall I can't say I hate any of these albums :wink: I can't understand so much hate for them

ATYCLB's songs have the shortest 'Appreciation threads' out of all other... 2 or 3 pages at the most (you don't have to search far to find some of them), yes there's quite a few of them but no one's posting there (and in fact it's just mostly the same people talking to eachother, 17 posts from 9 users for example)...
Not that I'm surprised realy...:wink:

I should also mention how low ATYCLB was in Albums' Survivor... but I wont:wink:
(but it was way to low to be called U2's 3rd masterpiece)

As for HTDAAB... to be honest:
a) I don't see that much bashing of that album as some of you're saying...
b) was realy high on Survivor... so what's the problem?
Where's this bashing of HTDAAB?

It's a great album and most of the people here know it... what's more important also most people know now how bad ATYCLB was thanks to HTDAAB...

The problem is that some people see HTDAAB as ATYCLBpart2... wich is BS...
Many people disapointed (AND NOT WITHOUT A REASON) with ATYCLB were not listening to HTDAAB with open mind... wich resulted in sayings like "post 2000 U2" or "the new U2"... and while ATYCLB deserves every negative word you can imagine it's also (sadly) hurting HTDAAB.

Last edited:
u2 said that beautiful day was the only successful song off atyclb and now it looks like vertigo is the only successful song off htdaab!! and thats because of the holy ipod commercial!

think about it a song like BAD pisses on everything from 2000 to now! not to mention ONE!

the thing is some of us will not admit that u2 have not made a better song than ONE/BAD/Plese/wowy/sbs/NYD!!!

so if it was not for the tours and live shows u2 would be nothing because their recent albums have nothing to offer!!!!

shaun vox said:
u2 said that beautiful day was the only successful song off atyclb and now it looks like vertigo is the only successful song off htdaab!! and thats because of the holy ipod commercial!

think about it a song like BAD pisses on everything from 2000 to now! not to mention ONE!

the thing is some of us will not admit that u2 have not made a better song than ONE/BAD/Plese/wowy/sbs/NYD!!!

so if it was not for the tours and live shows u2 would be nothing because their recent albums have nothing to offer!!!!
eh? every song off bomb has been a success here in the UK, please dont take what the U.S. does and think of it as the rest of the world, thanks

shaun vox said:

and they have nothing to offer in YOUR opinion, NOT mine, as i think they have plenty to offer, so please don try speaking for others

I'm not new to U2 or this forum and what I think is that the people who hate ATYCLB and HTDAAB are POP lovers and are jealous these albums were more successful and better recieved than Pop though they were a very different style.

For the record, I do not like Pop, I like ATYCLB and HTDAAB but find them inferior to the band's 80's work and AB.

U2Kitten said:
I'm not new to U2 or this forum and what I think is that the people who hate ATYCLB and HTDAAB are POP lovers and are jealous these albums were more successful and better recieved than Pop though they were a very different style.
troll:camera: :rockon:

bathiu said:

As you can see by my register date, I've been here 4 fucking years, I'm not a troll. Those are my honest and long thought out observations. See, you Pop lovers (some but not all!) are so eternally bitter over the larger success of ATYCLB and Bomb!

I wonder if u2 came out when pop was made and sauid it was a masterpeace, and when ATYCLB came out they said it was unfinsihed, would you all place Pop so high, or ATYCLB so low, you just want to say Pop is good, and ATYCLB isn't a masterpeice, and that is the only reason for these two albums positions

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
You know, it IS possible to like Pop, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB....

I also like the three (HTDAAB a bit more) and I found this speculations and these attacks to ATYCLB/HTDAAB trully stupid...

U2Kitten said:

As you can see by my register date, I've been here 4 fucking years, I'm not a troll. Those are my honest and long thought out observations. See, you Pop lovers (some but not all!) are so eternally bitter over the larger success of ATYCLB and Bomb!
I like HTDAAB more than POP... and I like ATYCLB the least out of all U2 albums... thank you... why wont you stay out of this kind of threads?
it's clear you can only troll in them (so what you've registered 4 years ago? should I also care about Star Wars avatar and sig while reading your posts:rolleyes: ?)
Every time there's a thread about ATYCLB or HTDAAB you're coming in and start to troll... or at least throwing a bait like with the last post to offend the majority of people here that like POP...
You're trying to prove something? You'e out of arguments, so by bait-trolling you're trying to turn "POP lovers" into some kind of monsters always using strong words toward others?
Your "honest and long thought out observations" is the bigest BS I've ever read on this forum... Bravo, I'll send you some kind of reward for that... (just have to find some healthy bull and give him lots of food)..
:tsk:

Back
Top Bottom