Suppose U2 did a Escape From The Studio Tour....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Metallica has done this Escape From The Studio tour a few times and it was a big success for them and for the fans. The idea is to leave the studio after a long time making a new album (during the making of it) go out and play some festivals in Europe and have some fun. This is great cause it provides a looser situation for the band to have some fun with song choices and just be more relaxed about "being on tour". U2 would be the main (or biggest) attraction so they could play a full set. I think this could be great fun for the band and the fans. Here's the setlist I would love to see:

01. Vertigo
02. I Will Follow
03. Pride
04. Even Better Than The Real Thing
05. Mysterious Ways
06. An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart
07. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
08. One
09. Bad
10. The First Time (acoustic)
11. Running To Stand Still
12. Silver And Gold
13. London Calling
14. New Year's Day
15. Acrobat

16. Where The Streets Have No Name
17. Beautiful Day
18. Window In The Skies
19. With Or Without You
20. Walk On

21. Angel of Harlem
22. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
23. Kite

I think they would play a bunch of their classics and crowd pleasers as they should since this is festival but I think they would also take some chances and try some new ideas out since this is not an album’s tour, hence Silver And Gold, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Acrobat and no Sunday Bloody Sunday. Since this is a looser situation playing a cover in the middle of the set would be cool too and London Calling done by U2 could be great I think. This would also be a chance to mix things up in a new set list and maybe even a few different set lists every night. They could test a new song out and pay it in the place of Window In The Skies but I'm not sure if they would do that. 11 O'clock Tick Tock would be a nice nod to the time where they used to play some festivals.

What setlist would you like to see them playing?

u2 are too big for a thing like this! i can see them playing a charity shows but thats it.

ps i just saw the(Suppose) in your topic hehe carry on.

Last edited:
Metallica is in my opinion almost as big and they do it and are very successful at it. The Rolling Stones might be considered bigger and in this last tour of theirs they did a few festivals. And the fact that U2 is big and did this is kind of part of the coolness of it all. Anyway this is more for the setlists to an event like this than for a debate if this could or not happen.

love to see that
but they won't.
reasons: playing it safe. and of course the old reason is the money. they want too much for a show, i believe it was 4-6 million dollars just for one vertigo show.

but still, a great idea
maybe they would rehearse some new songs on those festivals

TheBrazilianFly said:
Jesus, lock this thread and send it to hell. People don't seem to be able to read anymore.... [/QUOTE

common poblem here I'm afraid.

I just attended one of those escape from the Studio shows (the weenie roast) and it kicked butt. A shorter set at 1hr 40 mins but it kicked major ass.

There's a lot of cool stuff bands like Metallica do that U2 won't because U2 plays it too safe and are much more in constant moneygrabbing mode.

I'm listening the officially released recording of the show as I write, something they do with all shows make them available for download warts and ll within 48 hrs of the show.

What Metallica does isn't "just" festival but also their own stadium shows, often playing places off the beaten track, givng their fans in far sprung places like Korea, South Africa, Russia etc a chance to see them.

Judging from the latest news article, U2's escape is to go the the beach, they just "moved" recording to the south of France in order to take advantage of the nicer weather. A bad omen for the next album imo.

Pero said:

reasons: playing it safe. and of course the old reason is the money. they want too much for a show, i believe it was 4-6 million dollars just for one vertigo show.

Club shows for the release of ATYCLB...

I think TheBrazilianFly has made a great suggestion here. Unlike the rest of you (so it seems), I absolutely love U2's recent albums but I am a little tired of their stage(d) performances and the record an album--meet the press--flog the album--tour for 2 years process, which is very boring. U2 always say, quite openly, "We are selling our music," which is true and good of them to say it, but at this point in their career, who cares about selling a tour to people?

The one and only thing about U2 that I don't particularly like is that they aren't really a "musical" group. Of course they are musicians, but what I mean is they don't jam, they don't like to just get up on stage and shred, they don't ever play it loose like real musicians. Every single thing they do is on a grand scale, which is certainly admirable at their age, but which is also...well, getting boring.

Just get up and play! Throw out the setlist and the speeches!

65980 said:
I think TheBrazilianFly has made a great suggestion here. Unlike the rest of you (so it seems), I absolutely love U2's recent albums but I am a little tired of their stage(d) performances and the record an album--meet the press--flog the album--tour for 2 years process, which is very boring. U2 always say, quite openly, "We are selling our music," which is true and good of them to say it, but at this point in their career, who cares about selling a tour to people?

The one and only thing about U2 that I don't particularly like is that they aren't really a "musical" group. Of course they are musicians, but what I mean is they don't jam, they don't like to just get up on stage and shred, they don't ever play it loose like real musicians. Every single thing they do is on a grand scale, which is certainly admirable at their age, but which is also...well, getting boring.

Just get up and play! Throw out the setlist and the speeches!

yeh agreed

my selist would be something like

new years day
gloria
sunday bloody sunday
trip through your wires
exit (bono on guitar)
gone (bono on guitar)
dirty day (bono on guitar)
bullet
bad - lovetown version
when love comes to town (bono on guitar)
desire - full band (bono on guitar)

break

SYCMIOYO
all i want is you(bono on guitar like lovetown) /streets (slane castle )
with or without you (bono on guitar)

break

out of control
i will follow
love and peace or else
all because of you (bono on guitar)
the fly (bono guitar)

break

last night on earth (bono on guitar)

vertigo

a good jamming session concert i suppose and not a lot of massive hit songs

ultraviolet92 said:

exit (bono on guitar)
gone (bono on guitar)
all i want is you(bono on guitar like lovetown)
the fly (bono guitar)

WHY DEAR GOD WHY

I know you guys are just havin fun when you're makin these fantasy setlists, and trust me, I've done it myself before. So I'm not raggin on you at all. BUT....

It just seems a little bit silly to make up a fantasy setlist and not include any of the new material. I know we haven't heard it and don't know song titles, but still. There's absolutely no way U2 would go on tour and not play any of the stuff they've been workin on since HTDAAB.

Anyway, stupid rant. It's early in the morning. Resume thread.

GirlsAloudFan said:
I know you guys are just havin fun when you're makin these fantasy setlists, and trust me, I've done it myself before. So I'm not raggin on you at all. BUT....

It just seems a little bit silly to make up a fantasy setlist and not include any of the new material. I know we haven't heard it and don't know song titles, but still. There's absolutely no way U2 would go on tour and not play any of the stuff they've been workin on since HTDAAB.

Anyway, stupid rant. It's early in the morning. Resume thread.

That was my first reaction too.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:lmao: has someone forgot the whole Metallica vs Napster thing...

No. But that was then, this is now.

Metallica has far surpassed U2 in it's net savviness since then.

toscano said:

No. But that was then, this is now.

Metallica has far surpassed U2 in it's net savviness since then.

1. My grandmother has far surpassed U2 in her net savviness. So?

2. What does net savviness have to do with an "escape from the studio tour"? Are they giving cyber concerts?

last unicorn said:

Agree, they should do a cathedral tour.

:up:

But what would Adam and Larry do in the meantime?

Adam - Upright Bass

Larry- Bongos

Would take balls though, they collectively lost those after Pop

Varitek said:

WHY DEAR GOD WHY

Is this really necessary?

Everyone has their own opinions, if you dont like it, move on.

People can be so rude here, and its really getting annoying.

Respond to the thread as the OP asked, or dont respond at all. Why is that so difficult for some people?

ultraviolet92 said:

exit (bono on guitar)
gone (bono on guitar)
all i want is you(bono on guitar like lovetown)
the fly (bono guitar)

I honestly wonder why Bono should play the guitar for most/all of these songs. I have a few reasons why I think this is a really bad idea, so I was wondering why the poster thought it was a good idea.

Why Bono shouldn't play the guitar during these songs:
These songs were written for one guitar, and that guitar is played by the Edge. I think they are all (with the exception of ABOY) among U2's great songs and I'd be thrilled to see them performed live on any sort of tour, but they are perfect with the Edge and the Edge alone on guitar. Why mess with a perfect thing, especially when you're asking for some of their rare songs, when Bono isn't as skilled of a guitar player or jammer? You just throw off the songs we know and love, throw off the Edge's masterful playing, AND reason number two is that you also distract Bono from singing when a number of these songs have particularly difficult vocals (especially Exit, Gone, and Desire). Plus Bono has enough trouble remembering lyrics without having to remember tabs and put it all together! And you want him to be able to run around with a microphone and get the crowd hyped, that's a key part of the live U2 experience.

So far as I can tell you gain nothing with Bono on guitar but quite possibly lose a lot. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

That said, it's one thing to let Bono whip out his green guitar and play along for a small and frequently-played part of the set, as they did on Vertigo, but there's a reason they are a 1-guitar band, and 10 songs is waaaaaaaay too much Bono guitar. 1-2 songs = novelty, 10 = taking away from the quality of the performance of Edge's guitar, Bono's vocals, Bono's energy and freedom as a frontman, and the band's sound overall.

Back
Top Bottom