Superior Album version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which of these studio recordings can never be fully duplicated in concert?

• Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • New Year's Day

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Discotheque

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Desire

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • If You Wear That Velvet Dress

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Pride (I love seeing it live, but the studio version is absolutely priceless)

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Lemon

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters

Achtung Boris

Babyface
As an adjunct to the "Improved Live version" thread I thought I would create the opposite. Some U2 songs are best on the album. While good live, these songs can't hold a candle to the original studio recording. There are even some songs that get butchered when played live i.e. on POP mart i thought "Discotheque" and "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" sounded crappy.

For this poll lets pick the most superior album version . . . The recording that can never be duplicated in concert.

Pride - because the album version is just that good
still one of my fav live songs though

I love the live version of Lemon, but the album version is also priceless.

I would say Beautiful Day, though.

I voted for Desire...No particular reason...

But I have to say that I think If You Wear... and New Years Day were BETTER live, if that's even possible!

Without question, "Pride." If you voted for something else, you are wrong - please change your vote. ;)

If Bono was able to reproduce the album version of "Pride" every night in concert, he'd probably blow out/off his lungs, intestines and even a few limbs. :D Seriously, the vocal range, the power and the passion in that studio recording are incredible.

I never liked "Lemon" until I heard the Perfecto Remix of it. Also, I was never a fan of "Velvet Dress" either - and there is no remix to redeem it.. Therefore, I couldn't vote for those songs. I never liked Bono's vocals on the album version of "New Year's Day" so the concert version is better, IMO. "Beautiful Day" sounds just as good on the album as in concert, so it's a draw. I would say the same is true for the remaining songs. Consequently, "Pride" just beamed out above the other choices.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
Without question, "Pride." If you voted for something else, you are wrong - please change your vote. ;)

If Bono was able to reproduce the album version of "Pride" every night in concert, he'd probably blow out/off his lungs, intestines and even a few limbs. :D Seriously, the vocal range, the power and the passion in that studio recording are incredible.

I was going to say the same thing, but you beat me to it.

Lemon is good when played live, but it's a hard job to duplicate it and the album version is much better in my humble opinion!:sexywink:

Bad
Pride
With or Without You
One
Ultraviolet

Five of my favorite U2 tunes - all of which I find the album version to be superior to any live versions.

Most people will disagree with Bad, but there's something about it I love. There's an echo-ey synth sound on the studio version you never hear in the live versions that gives me goosebumps.

I want to vote for Stay. Imo, that is one album song that is priceless on the album and doesn't improve live. But I think I'm in a definite minority there. :huh:

So for the purposes of this poll, I shall go with Still Haven't Found.

Now I have to listen to the Joshua Tree!

I chose ISHFWILF because Bono cannot reproduce anymore that level of shimmer and purity his voice had when he sang that song. The album version of this song is :drool: and I haven't heard it in concert close to that version yet.

Good question!

Back
Top Bottom