Superbowl Setlist CONTRADICTION to prior reports- SPOILER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camiloj

War Child
OK, the @U2 and youtwo.net people are telling us that U2 is going to play Beautiful Day, Desire, and Walk On and that that is what they supposedly rehearsed. Well, look at this email the Webmaster for U2station got from someone at the NFL that seems to almost 100%(well at least 66%) contradict the other sources!

==============================
U2 Station - Documents - Email

To: "U2 Station" <webmaster@u2station.com>
Subject: RE:
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 23:39:53 -0500

I work for the NFL yes and I was doing some work in the stadium.Of course there
was a buzz about when U2 would do thier soundcheck so about 2:30 I start to hear
Elvation over the PA.I dropped everything and ran into the stadium.Thier guitar
tech was playing Edgeitars and the stage was setup but the band was no where in
sight.I asked a few questions but no one seemed to be able to help me as to when
the band would play.

A few hours later around 5:30 PM I saw it.The stage was completeley setup.They
even have a little heart set up in front of the stage.Not as large as the one on
tour but large enough for a pit ful of people.The whole band on stage playing
Beautiful day.They sang it twice took a short break and sang it again.All the
while Bono is running around the heart shaped stage and also testing how far he
can actually venture out I guess.There was someone walking with him right beside
him during these takes.In between Bono mentioning things here and there.Than they
did MLK into Streets.It all sounded amazing.The Edge looked like he was totally
into it,Larry looked kind of bored but that's Larry.Mind you the whole stadium is
dark Just the stage lights are on Like a concert.I have now edged my way to
within 20 ft of the heart.Bono is on the 50 yard line talking to some stage crew
I guess and also some NFL execs I happen recognize.I notice that Paul McGuinnes
is right next to me shaking hands with some people and they were ready for the
last run.

They Play a video compilition on the 2 jumbo screens on bothh ends of the Field
as the intro.The stage crew bring in college students to fill the heart and pull
people close to the stage so Bono can practice walking through the crowd and up
on to the stage.Totally fucken cool because I'm fucken one of em.They do the
Video intro Bono walks by me onto the stage they rip into Beautiful day and I
have my elbows on the outer tip of the heart and Bono is standin right in front
of me.I could have tripped him.They go into MLK and scroll the names of the
victims of Sept 11th and then do Streets.I tell you I can go home right now fuck
the Superbowl.But you know what they are playing and I am working the game so
anything can happen hopefully.

-------------------------------

This seems more real to me, and it makes more sense (although I cringe at them playing the names of the 9/11 dead again). They only have 10 minutes someone said, and I dont think those other 3 songs could be done in 10 minutes, but Beautiful Day, MLK, and Streets could.

What do y'all think??

Yay I cant friggin wait!!!

* gets vcr ready

And oh how I wish I could be there!!

Wow, MLK?? That would be really cool! And yeah, those other 3 songs couldn't be done in 12, but maybe if they did .5 of Desire, as Sicy suggested, they could. This sounds likely, though.

Yep, I just read this on the u2la yahoo list...sounds a little more believeable than Desire (why would they do that song at the superbowl?) Still, I thought Walk On was a definite maybe.....

????????

Guess we won't know for sure until tomorrow!

Streets would be SO COOL tho

The cool thing is that MLK is not known among the very casual fans. We all know that an MLK seguay into STREETS will be great, but for everyone else it will be emotionally thrilling. (Especially as a 9/11 tribute)

I really don't think MLK is one of their better live songs, but it will probably work very well in that little setlist

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

YES! MLK! Ok, now I reeeeealllly can't wait!!!
Only about 26 hours to go folks
smile.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm uncertain what to think here, but my first thought was......was he sure it was MLK? I mean, he might be getting mixed up (VERY UNLIKELY I KNOW), but still.....
That would be cool, but i think too much of Streets can be a bad thing, especially for Non-U2 people or casual U2 fans.
So it is out of the following....
Beautiful Day (Definite)
Streets
MLK
Walk On
Desire

Most likely the firs three....but still
And what i don't understand is why some people think they couldn't do a full length version of Desire with Walk On and Beautiful Day.
BD would be about 4 min 30
Desire (Bono + Edge on guitar) 2 min 30
Walk On 4.5-5 min (Same as tribute to heroes version without Peace on Earth)

So, anything's possible
I guess I just wasted 5 minutes blabbering on until i got to the thing i wanted to say in the first place...
Ok i'll shutup now....
Bless ya!
WHYWHY

Wow, if that's true...I mean, wow. Beautiful Day is sort of a given I suppose. MLK would just be perfect with the scrolling names from September 11th. And I can never get enough of Streets, and I'm not sure what the above poster meant by too much Streets. I mean, they played it on the NBA Finals about a year ago, but that's it. Streets will work great with a football audience, trust me. My dad is a crazed football fan, and whenever I play Streets in the car he starts speeding up and slamming the steering wheel to the drumbeat.

Here's hoping this setlist happens, as it sounds a lot better than BD/Desire/Walk On.

Yes!!!!! Dallas did say that the claims of a rumored setlist werent correct. Bday and Walk On will be played but he did say that a special surprise was in store.....i guess thats MLK!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant wait!

Could I be more excited?! Now millions of people around the world who've never seen U2 will see that magical moment of every U2 show known as STREETS!!

[whine]Is it time yet??[/whine]

So, wait...

Setlist is BD, Walk On and MLK as per Mike's conversation with Dallas?

Is that the final consensus?

CK

I was wishing for a suprise, and if you watched them play 'streets' @ the NBA finals then you might think it is a standard song for that sort of thing. Well, that is what a non-fan who watches both shows might think-not us. Let me just say if they do this then I hope they suprise us somehow. Let me clarify, suprise us from what we already think we know.

Oh Fuck it-its U2 playing halftime at Superbowl36, I gives a damn what they play just play!!!!!!!!!

FUCK YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm I heard the same three songs. The dude from the NFL. well he was only for the soundcheck. They sometimes dont play the same stuff as they do in a sound check.

karla

Originally posted by U2LA:
OK, the @U2 and youtwo.net people are telling us that U2 is going to play Beautiful Day, Desire, and Walk On and that that is what they supposedly rehearsed. Well, look at this email the Webmaster for U2station got from someone at the NFL that seems to almost 100%(well at least 66%) contradict the other sources!

Hmm I heard the same three songs. The dude from the NFL. well he was only for the soundcheck. They sometimes dont play the same stuff as they do in a sound check.

U2 Station - Documents - Email

To: "U2 Station" <webmaster@u2station.com>
Subject: RE:
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 23:39:53 -0500

I work for the NFL yes and I was doing some work in the stadium.Of course there
was a buzz about when U2 would do thier soundcheck so about 2:30 I start to hear
Elvation over the PA.I dropped everything and ran into the stadium.Thier guitar
tech was playing Edgeitars and the stage was setup but the band was no where in
sight.I asked a few questions but no one seemed to be able to help me as to when
the band would play.

A few hours later around 5:30 PM I saw it.The stage was completeley setup.They
even have a little heart set up in front of the stage.Not as large as the one on
tour but large enough for a pit ful of people.The whole band on stage playing
Beautiful day.They sang it twice took a short break and sang it again.All the
while Bono is running around the heart shaped stage and also testing how far he
can actually venture out I guess.There was someone walking with him right beside
him during these takes.In between Bono mentioning things here and there.Than they
did MLK into Streets.It all sounded amazing.The Edge looked like he was totally
into it,Larry looked kind of bored but that's Larry.Mind you the whole stadium is
dark Just the stage lights are on Like a concert.I have now edged my way to
within 20 ft of the heart.Bono is on the 50 yard line talking to some stage crew
I guess and also some NFL execs I happen recognize.I notice that Paul McGuinnes
is right next to me shaking hands with some people and they were ready for the
last run.

They Play a video compilition on the 2 jumbo screens on bothh ends of the Field
as the intro.The stage crew bring in college students to fill the heart and pull
people close to the stage so Bono can practice walking through the crowd and up
on to the stage.Totally fucken cool because I'm fucken one of em.They do the
Video intro Bono walks by me onto the stage they rip into Beautiful day and I
have my elbows on the outer tip of the heart and Bono is standin right in front
of me.I could have tripped him.They go into MLK and scroll the names of the
victims of Sept 11th and then do Streets.I tell you I can go home right now fuck
the Superbowl.But you know what they are playing and I am working the game so
anything can happen hopefully.

Originally posted by TheU2:
So, wait...

Setlist is BD, Walk On and MLK as per Mike's conversation with Dallas?

Is that the final consensus?

CK

Yes I believe so, but not in that order. MLK will be in the middle, going from a subdued tribute to an uplifting one. Beatiful Day, MLK, to Walk On = Genius... I hope it happens!!!
smile.gif

GOOD CALL U2LA!!!!

------------------
"Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, CHICAGO!" ~ Bono (during Stay) at Chicago 10/16/01

"Home, that's where Chicago is!" ~ Bono (during Walk On) at Chicago 10/16/01

Back
Top Bottom