Superbowl Bono's voice - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2002, 11:11 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Hey...at least he wasn't lip-syncing!
I didn't think it sounded bad.

------------------
"Being one can be great but respecting differences can be greater." - Bono in Belfast, 8/26/97

"Don't forget to fasten your condom.." -Steve Martin, Father of the Bride

u2er@u2email.com

Old 02-23-2002, 12:29 PM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:45 PM
I think it is about time that the masses realize that Bono's voice isn't exactly what it used to be. I think his voice sounded great and I think the band, as one, was outstanding. Bono's voice breaks a few times when he sings "MLK" and people jump on the notion that he's lost his voice.

I remember many people thinking that he wouldn't be able to keep his voice during The Elevation Tour - and I think those people were sorely mistaken. The isn't the Achtung or Pop era anymore. It's the Soul period. Cheers to those that don't turn on Bono's voice.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Old 02-23-2002, 03:03 PM   #23

Local Time: 09:45 PM
His voice is rough, yes, we have all listened to it's regression over the past ten years, but what about his HAIR? The combover mullet...and his bad eye job? The dude is getting older...my age!...we do all need to accept that he is no longer the Bono of JT days.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:11 PM   #24
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by ballykissangel:
His voice is rough, yes, we have all listened to it's regression over the past ten years, but what about his HAIR? The combover mullet...and his bad eye job? The dude is getting older...my age!...we do all need to accept that he is no longer the Bono of JT days.
Okay, so Bono is a middle-aged, balding croaky-voiced singer with a bad eye job? Oh, and did I forget to mention overweight too. Sure, whatever...
Call me crazy but I still find him sexy as hell And I'm 22.
Geez, the poor guy doesn't need any critics, his own fans are making a good enough job putting him down. And if 41 is so old, Sting, McCartney and Jagger should be dead and buried by now. BTW, I'm not in denial, I thought the Superbowl performance was painful to listen to, not one of his best.

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono
Old 02-23-2002, 04:15 PM   #25
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2er:
Hey...at least he wasn't lip-syncing!
I didn't think it sounded bad.

No kidding!

I remember how cool we all thought it was that Bono wasn't going to be lip-synching...but then people say his voice was bad.

If he had been lip-synching, they probably could have pre-recorded everything when his voice was in tip top shape.

I prefer raw and earnest performances.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."
Old 02-23-2002, 04:46 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony:
HelloAngel

How come he didn't had trouble (from the exeption of Albany) or a scatchy voice on the Elevation tour? You say that he was not 100% because has been speaking non-stop for 5 days at the World Economic Forum. I think that speaking 5 days will not affect your voice as much as touring every single day. So how come speaking messed his voice and not singing almost every day on the tour?

My.. you're certainly humpty about this.

Basically, I was just repeating what press agents have reported after speaking to Bono, and what my own observations are. Like everyone has said - he's getting older, his voice will suffer from years of impassioned singing. He's wonderful - and obviously I can't speak for why his voice doesn't croak all the friggin time on tour. I can't possibly know what vocal cord salve he takes, or what he does on his off days. But basically, he takes care of himself on tour - and he didn't have a day of rest after the WEF, so yes his voice was not at Elevation Tour level - so what? Why are you so concerned? From my POV, he gave 100% - and what they did at the SuperBowl is the stuff of legend, and that is the end of my involvement and concern on Bono's voice.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:58 PM   #27
Refugee

Concerning the Super Bowl performance, I thought "Beautiful Day" went well. MLK started off with Bono's voice cracking and Edge not being able to hear through his ear-piece, in effect, screwing up what could have been an emotional interlude between BD and Streets. When Bono did his shouting/yell during the beginning of Streets, the whole show jumped to a whole new level. All of a sudden, I completely forgot about the MLK mishap and reveled in awe. When the names of the 9/11 casualties started scrolling against the backdrop, I knew that this would be a historical moment for both music fans, as well as football fans.

Bono's voice is like his idol's voice. Frank Sinatra began his career as a tenor and by the age of 40 had seen it turn into a barritone. As long as Bono accepts the transition and doesn't try to always hit notes that are no longer in his range, he will woo the crowd and fans with his image and showmanship. Bob Dylan NEVER had a voice. David Bowie hasn't had a high voice since the late 1980's. Bono has held up nicely, and will sing or at least attempt to sing until the day he dies. That's what he does. It's his love and profession, so I can assure you that no matter how much criticism we lay upon him, he will walk on...
Old 02-23-2002, 05:00 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano:
Concerning the Super Bowl performance, I thought "Beautiful Day" went well. MLK started off with Bono's voice cracking and Edge not being able to hear through his ear-piece, in effect, screwing up what could have been an emotional interlude between BD and Streets. When Bono did his shouting/yell during the beginning of Streets, the whole show jumped to a whole new level. All of a sudden, I completely forgot about the MLK mishap and reveled in awe. When the names of the 9/11 casualties started scrolling against the backdrop, I knew that this would be a historical moment for both music fans, as well as football fans.

Bono's voice is like his idol's voice. Frank Sinatra began his career as a tenor and by the age of 40 had seen it turn into a barritone. As long as Bono accepts the transition and doesn't try to always hit notes that are no longer in his range, he will woo the crowd and fans with his image and showmanship. Bob Dylan NEVER had a voice. David Bowie hasn't had a high voice since the late 1980's. Bono has held up nicely, and will sing or at least attempt to sing until the day he dies. That's what he does. It's his love and profession, so I can assure you that no matter how much criticism we lay upon him, he will walk on...
amen, and amen
Old 02-23-2002, 05:20 PM   #29
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick:
I prefer raw and earnest performances.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:28 PM   #30
Kid A

like "Earnest Goes to Hollywood"

Old 02-23-2002, 07:51 PM   #31
The Fly

HelloAngel

Don't get me wrong, I tought the performance was awsome!!! I was just curious about why Bono didn't have the voice that day, that's all. Didn't mean to upset you
Old 02-23-2002, 10:22 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Wasn't he at some party the night before the Superbowl? That couldn't have helped his voice...

Bono was never Prince Charming if you ask me, And at least he's not a skinny stick like Mick Jagger: I still have nightmares from watching half-naked Mick sing 'Satisfaction' while prancing around the stage in yellow tights.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:19 AM   #33
The Fly

HelloAngel

How come he didn't had trouble (from the exeption of Albany) or a scatchy voice on the Elevation tour? You say that he was not 100% because has been speaking non-stop for 5 days at the World Economic Forum. I think that speaking 5 days will not affect your voice as much as touring every single day. So how come speaking messed his voice and not singing almost every day on the tour?
Old 02-24-2002, 03:22 AM   #34
New Yorker

u2 are making a new record and bono is using his voice there thats why his voice is a bit used up trust me.MLK sounded good though.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:42 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:45 PM
I don't know what's worse:

Over-critical fans

Or fans in denial.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:07 AM   #36
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
like "Earnest Goes to Hollywood"

'Earnest Saves The Superbowl'
Old 02-24-2002, 04:49 PM   #37
Acrobat

I thought Bono sounded good at the SB. I thought the yell at the beginning of Streets was great. The only time I thought he sounded shakey was the 1st few notes of MLK, other than that I thought he sounded fine, as good as the Boston DVD. In fact, I thought he sounded a lot weaker on Bad on the DVD. But lets face it, that song is very challenging for him to sing these days, but he still does it in the original key, unlike SBS & Pride which are played, wisely, in a lower key. Maybe they should do the same with Bad...I've heard great good versions of the tune on this tour, but nothing like the Mid to late 80's period.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:23 PM   #38
The Fly

He's hot, he's got a great voice, and most importantly, he's got soul.

The raspiness = sexiness.

He will always be the wonderful Bono, adapting with time and making the best of change.

------------------
Q: What did U2 use for power instead of electricity to create their albums?

A: Up until Rattle & Hum, all of the U2 albums were recorded by harnessing the power of fermenting potatoes to symbolize um, the plight of Ireland.

Sifl: No way.

Olly: I know.

-The Sifl & Olly Show
Old 02-24-2002, 10:15 PM   #39
Refugee

Bono's voice was raspy enough at the Super Bowl that it was a bit noticeable--but I would not say that it detracted from the performance or anything. I do worry about his voice a little, though. I hope he's babying it and taking good care of it. He should really take a long break and not sing or talk much but I don't see either of those happening I wonder what his voice will be like at 50--it might not be that good any more, unfortunately. Sting always amazes me, he is 50 and listen to his voice...

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes
Old 02-24-2002, 11:48 PM   #40
Refugee

How dare us for noticing that if Bono doesn't take it easy, he could lose his voice completely?

Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeK:
Obviously you people are totally wrong to even suggest that there is anything remotely wrong with Bono's voice! How dare you?