Sunday Bloody Sunday vs. Bullet the Blue Sky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theSoulfulMofo

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I posted this topic earlier this week, but it didn't get much attention (b/c of the subject line).

Public opinion seems to think that Sunday Bloody Sunday is an inappropriate song to play on radio air. I, however, think that Bullet the Blue Sky is MORE inappropriate thant SBS.

Thoughts? Let the discussions begin!

------------------
"Lookin for baby Jesus under the trash..."

Well, nobody for real besides one person thinks SBS is inappropriate. Bullet the Blue Sky is definately MORE inappropriate, but I don't think that means at all it shouldn't be played.

My opinion is that SBS is a political wake-up song that opposes the IRA violence, or any political violence for that mattter...

But BTBS seems to be a pretty ANTI-American song written in reaction to the days of Reagan... And it seems that the songs still rings somewhat true today in regards to the US.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, Sunday, Bloody Sunday is fine to play---but the reference to the "real battle" & the "victory Jesus won" might seem like a "Christians are right, these Muslims are wrong" kinda slap in the face---HOWever, if people would use their MINDS, they'd realize that "this song is NOT a rebel song." Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah "Peace On Earth"!!!

smile.gif

I was listening to NPR last night and they had a piece on the whole Clear Channel/Censorship controversy. The narrator named SBS as one of the songs that was considered inappropriate by Clear Channel then he commented that SBS is a song that used to seemed cliche (or words to that effect) but now seems quite relevant and not distasteful at all. He followed that by playing the first 20 or 30 seconds of the song, which I thought was fecking cool.

I like Bullet , i like SBS , great songs
A little bit out of theme BUT :
all this "gumshit" radio/tv talking should be skipped
Radio FM stations at 80's completely became a 'goodboy' hit-tunes
MTV SUCKS ! TODAY , 2MORROW ALWAYS

P.S. BTBS i like a llllliiiitle bit more
cause of bono's always different rap-stuff + edge ' s guitar solo , ahh forget it , it is just a hard-flesh - rock-blues-punk song and i love it
biggrin.gif

Personally I love BTBS and SBS and even though the recent events may seem to make these songs "inappropriate" I still think that they're great songs and should be played. Of course, that decision is left up to the band and management, but I certainly won't be offended if they play them.

------------------
We turn away to face the cold, enduring chill
As the day begs the night for mercy
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of the earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

No song which critisizes war and violence is inappropriate!
OK, BTBS attacks the US government (of Reagan) but and this may be somewhat strange nowadays, BUT that makes the theme NOT inappropriate ?cause what Reagan did was indeed wrong IMHO.

------------------
beLIEve

Political dissent is crucial to ensure that wrongs committed by governments are redressed. It is important that society tolerate different political views even in times where there is consensus in order to maintain a dialogue that may prevent future wrongs. However, I think human compassion and sensitivity in times of crises where lives are lost and forever changed should define the parameters of such political dissent. For example, many of America's enemies and challengers have expressed their condolences for America's tragedy. Their usual criticism of our policies has certainly been muted of late to form a common front against evil. To attack America on other issues now is untimely, insensitive, and divisive admist a much greater struggle. Now, to U2 and BTBS.

For U2 to come to America, a place that has catapulted their career, and lash out at our policies during this crisis is ungrateful, insensitive and unfair. While U2's grivences against America may be fair (guns, misguided foreign policy, materialism, etc.)such criticism now is untimely and hurtful for many. Chances are many people in the audience are going to have loved ones with their lives at risk in this battle to protect our country. While not all is perfect in America, there are many things about America that make it a shining example of how society should be. U2 would be ungrateful and ultimately insensitive to come here and criticize our policies by, for example, playing BTBS with Bono's mocking or sincere speeches criticizing America. I hope U2 shows respect for America's plight and slightly alters their show in deference.

Come off it people. BTBS is a great song and you should be glad if you get it live. You Americans appear to be to much PC. Right at this moment when you are to much gung ho you need a band like U2 to give it to you straight. And if you don't like it, don't go to the show. Nobody forces you. At least you get some more shows. Far more then we ever had in Europe.

Originally posted by Muad'zin:
Come off it people. BTBS is a great song and you should be glad if you get it live. You Americans appear to be to much PC. Right at this moment when you are to much gung ho you need a band like U2 to give it to you straight. And if you don't like it, don't go to the show. Nobody forces you. At least you get some more shows. Far more then we ever had in Europe.

I'm American and I won't be offended by it in the least if they decide to play either song. What I am offended by is your blind stereotyping of us.

[This message has been edited by clarityat3am (edited 09-25-2001).]

Clear Channel Communications does not represent public opinion on anything, much less censorship.

It is really very dangerous to permit censorship of peace-related songs in order to support a government trying to build popular support (as if it wasn't already there) for a war. This particular war may seem justified to many/most Americans. But other wars the US has fought were clearly not, and in fact popular outrage (partly expressed in music) was a major factor which caused the US to finally abandon its misguided (an opinion - don't stress out anyone) Vietnam "policy" 30 years ago. Clear Channel is SO wrong about what it is doing, and has demonstrated the grave dangers of continued media concentration much better than any argument could.

Back
Top Bottom