Sun City and Band Aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From u2.com...

Summer 1985: Bono adds his vocal contribution to the recording of 'Sun City', a charity single to raise money for Artists United Against Apartheid organised by former Bruce Springsteen guitarist Steve Van Zandt.

Sun City was an entertainment complex created in the artificial Zulu 'homeland' of Bophuthatswana by the apartheid regime of South Africa. The idea was to woo top entertainers from Europe and America so that apartheid would benefit from indirect endorsement.

Steve Van Zandt, rhythm guitarist for Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band from 1975-1982, had visited South Africa on a fact finding tour in 1984 and had returned with the idea of a song could be sung by those who would refuse to play Sun City. This was recorded as a demo in the summer of 1985 and, shortly afterwards, was produced with a cast of star vocalists in the style of the recent charity singles for Band Aid ('Do They Know It's Christmas?) and U. S. A, For Africa ('We Are The World').

The single was produced by Van Zandt and Arthur Baker at Baker's Shakedown Studios in New York, with each singer performing all five verses individually before their key lines were mixed together in a composite version. Those who were on the East Coast at the time, such as Bono, Melle Mel, Darlene Love, Peter Wolf, Eddie Kendricks, Lou Reed and Bruce Springsteen, came to the studios. Those on the West Coast, including Bob Dylan and Jackson Browne, had tapes sent to them. Pete Townshend of The Who and forner Beatle Ringo Starr recorded their contributions in England.

The single 'Sun City' was a hit in Britain, America and Holland. It was banned in South Africa. Five versions of the song were included on the album of the same name.

Band Aid single..

Bananarama
Bob Geldof
Culture Club
David Bowie
Duran Duran
Eurythmics
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Heaven 17
Human League
Kool and the Gang
Midge Urge
Paul McCartney
Paul Young
Phil Collins
Spandau Ballet
Status Quo
Sting
The Style Council
U2
Wham!

This is one of my favorite songs!!! And the video is great too :)
At the time of this release, I was ultra-obsessed with U2 and Duran Duran so I must have watched this video a million times!!!
And Bono's wailing on "Well, tonight thank God it's them instead of you." makes me :combust:

:censored:

Ani_Bono80s.gif

U2SJ said:
And Bono's wailing on "Well, tonight thank God it's them instead of you." makes me :combust:

Whenever I'm with my friends and that song is on, they always have to shut up so I can listen to Bono's line with full attention. :D

an mp3 of Sun City? there is one out there. I had it for awhile, cause I was going to use it in a presentation about South Africa. but then I didn't.

And Joey Ramone, he also sung on the title track.

Marty (who also thinks that it's a great album, yes, especially Silver And Gold)

P.S. That means that for the album you also have to add the names of Keith Richards and Ron Wood, as they also contributed to Silver And Gold.

Hello,

I just looked it up in the CD booklet and here are the singers on the song Sun City (in order of appearance):
Little Steven (words & music)
Run-DMC
Grandmaster Melle Mel
Duke Bootee
Afrika Bambaataa
Kurtis Blow
Big Youth
David Ruffin
Pat Benatar
Eddie Kendrick
Bruce Springsteen
George Clinton
Joey Ramone
Jimmy Cliff
Daryl Hall
Darlene Love
Linton Kwesi Johnson
Bonnie Raitt
Ruben Blades
John Oates
Lou Reed
Bobby Womack
Jackson Browne
Bob Dylan
Peter Garrett
Nona Hendryx
Kashif
Bono

This includes the musicians as it's not clear which star played on which track.

C ya!

Marty

Fucking great list! I tell you, part of the reason Bono is so great is BECAUSE he's rubbed elbows w/ so many different artists over his career.

Back
Top Bottom