Studio vs. Live: These songs differ the most

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ifeelnumb84 said:

I really don't like any live versions of Mysterious Ways and think the studio version is unbelievable.

The extended solo on zooTV and now Vertigo rocks. I prefer the live version personally especially when Bono sings:

'move me spirit hold me, move me spirit take me, move me spirit teach me, to move with it.........' or whatever it is.

better live:

LAPOE is even better on stage than it is on the album

Bullet: what a song live!

Dirty Day: the last part of that song (Sydney Zoo TV) live is just mindblowing

The Fly: Elevation & Vertigo Tour - just see it yourself. What a difference a live setting makes...

Zoo Station: rejuvenated during the Vertigo tour. What a song...

worse:

HMTMKMKM: I hate to say it, as this is one of my all-time favourites, but the Popmart version was too soft imho. It's such a strong song, but it didn't have the same effect live...

Pride

Even better than the real thing (the Zoo TV version)

Running to Stand Still from Zoo has to be the most radically and brilliantly reworked song in all of U2's live repertoire.

The entire concert from Point Depot is so amazing.. Running to Stand Still takes my breath away. LOVE IT.

WOWY is not as good live... its my favorite song ever but.. it doesnt get me as much live.. weird right? but record? oh geez...

Bullet in the Blue Sky is awesome, as is Love and Peace or Else.. but Yahwah, with Larry on the keyboard? *cringe*

WalkOnTheEdge said:
Out Of Control - Studio. Judging only by the Slane Castle version, I found it to be a total downgrade from the studio version.

Reall? Just the opposite for me. the slane version gets my heart pumping. i thought it was extremely powerful.

WalkOnTheEdge said:
Out Of Control - Studio. Judging only by the Slane Castle version, I found it to be a total downgrade from the studio version.

Really? Just the opposite for me. the slane version gets my heart pumping. i thought it was extremely powerful.

And I think mysterious ways is incredible- how edge kicks up the guitar after that slower softer part- unlike anything else. what a band.

The Fly from the Zoo tour.

Dark, dirty and kicking you in the face.

Why hasn't anybody mentioned Until the End of the World??????

That song is SO much better live!! In fact, the live verison ruined the album version for me: I can't listen to it that slow anymore!

Meghan said:
Why hasn't anybody mentioned Until the End of the World??????

That song is SO much better live!! In fact, the live verison ruined the album version for me: I can't listen to it that slow anymore!

I was reading this whole thread hoping no one had got to it yet so I could post it, and sure enough the very last reply I read mentions it.

I agree 100%. It's fucking awesome live.

Peter said:

Dirty Day: the last part of that song (Sydney Zoo TV) live is just mindblowing

Agreed. Chizip, you should have used this thread to plug your petition, what's the matter with you? :wink:

Also: Last Night on Earth, Please, New York, Mysterious Ways, The Fly, Bad, Streets, UTEOTW, Bullet, Love is Blindness.

Basically every U2 song improves live, those are just the ones I feel improve the most. I kinda feel like the Bomb tracks aren't much better live than studio though...except Sometimes is way better because it's more emotional and Bono really hits the note instead of trying to do a weird falsetto. Vertigo I'd say is way better too... Love and Peace or Else is only slightly better, Original and Miracle Drug are worse, Yahweh is better than the studio but not the alternate. CRUMBS has potential to be a great live song if they ever actually play it.

Hold Me... rocks live, I dunno what you're talkin' about. I'd love to see that return. That, and every song on Zooropa and Pop :wink:

Zooropean103 said:
What about the 'we shine like stars' or 'tear us apart' extra verses?

I love those "shine like stars" bits! They are the best thing live, except for the time he sang: "Yeah, we'll shine like stars in the midnight sun...." WTF?!?

Also, One gets heaps better live with the new end: "Here me comin' Lord?....."

And add halleluiah's to any song and it gets better.
Yes, ANY song.

:wink:

AtomicBono said:

Great song, but I think it loses a bit of its power live, especially Edge's guitar riff before "New York New Yoooooork Neeeeeeew York" :wink:

hmm i only really listen to the live Version of New York...its great especially the Boston DVD version:rockon:

With or Without You i also prefer live...the Rattle and Hum version definitely plus some lovely camerawork around then in my opinion.

Hold Me....is amazing live...its ar harder than the studio version...

Original of the Species i love live....piano, drums and bass...i do like the album version but live is the definitive version of the song for me.

Yahweh live is also much better i love the wee acoustic but the alternate studio version is miles better than both.

Zoo Station live is incredible; especially during the Zoo TV tour.

Out Of Control live from Slane is much better than the studio version!!

The Fly and COBL live leave me kinda cold; never heard a truely great version.

Bad live. Far superior.

Beautiful Day live = studio. Both have their strong points. Though "The Goal Is Soul" is far better than the Blackbird versions.

Sunday Bloody Sunday live. Take that over the studio version Every. Single. Time - especially from Slane.

Staring At The Sun live accoustic just has such a great melody; turns a (my opinion mind you) crap song into a fantastic one.

Original Of The Species live sucks.

"Bullet The Blue Sky" live (only Zootv version)

"Bad" live

"Where The Streets Have No Name" live

"Until The End Of The World" live

"Stay (Faraway, So Close!)" record (don't like it acoustic)

"One Tree Hill" live

"One" live

"Gone" record (Mike Hedges remix only)

I think most of U2 songs gain live, I could only think of a few songs that are IMO better in the studio:

Pride (studio version just captured something that live versions can't get. I think it's too slow live, Rattle and Hum version is how it should be done all the time)

One (I know, I know - it does work live but again, the studio version has the magic - Bono's voice in particular - that they never capture live)

Kite (same for this song, live it doesn't work for me, studio it's one of their best efforts ever. Again, great vocal from Bono)

Original of the species (yes, I enjoy the piano in the forefront live but strings and especially Edge's guitar MAKE the song. Also, Bono sounds much better on the album than live)

Snowlock said:

Sunday Bloody Sunday live. Take that over the studio version Every. Single. Time - especially from Slane.

Staring At The Sun live accoustic just has such a great melody; turns a (my opinion mind you) crap song into a fantastic one.

I agree, except I don't think SATS is a crap song at all, but I really like that sorta Mexican-Spanish vibe it gets live.

Listening to oots live was incredible. And Bad live is probably the best live song of all time.

Snowlock said:
Out Of Control live from Slane is much better than the studio version!!

Could not disagree more. Nothing about this song played live does justice to the incredible energy of the studio version.

Not saying it's not great to SEE live, I'm talking about which is better to listen to.

Mysterious Ways works so well live. It has the soul that the studio-version is misssing, and the guitarsolo at the end is just :drool:

Bullet The Blue Sky - 1.Zoo TV 2.Elevation 3.Pop 4. Joshua Tree

Until The End Of The World - Better Live

New York - Better Live

Love And Peace Or Else - Better Live

Mysterious Ways - Any snippet they get into this song is also great

Bad - Live

Streets - Live

Running To Stand Still - Zoo TV Version, Amazing (Loved it this tour)

Back
Top Bottom