"Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of" will save the album from oblivion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
I think we were all surprised when "Beautiful Day" swept the Grammy Awards and reached the Top 21 on the US singles charts. Then "Walk On" was released and bombed...badly. "Elevation" was supposed to 'save' the album and expose U2 to a new generation of believers and followers, but it too bombed. And considering the amount of faith everyone from this web-community placed in it's potential I might add that it bombed worse than "Walk On".
Now "Stuck in Moment..." is released and I'm starting to forsee Paul McGuiness' prediction come true. Remember how Paul bet Bono that Stuck would be the band's biggest hit...EVER?! The reason this song is actually going to chart highly is because it fits smack dab in the middle of Adult Top 40 song rotations. Unlike "Elevation: Tomb Raider Mix", which only fit in at Modern Rock stations. Match Box 20 had a hit with "If You're Gone", Dido with "Thank You", Train with "Drops of Jupiter", and countless other performers have hit the top with similar styled songs.
Ladies and Gentlemen, behold the second coming of All That You Can't Leave Behind...

I hope you're right, Danospano. Stuck is a radio friendly song. Also, they made it shorter which was a good idea.

The one being released to radio is like 3mins, 55 secs. The verse that begins"I never thought u were a fool" was cut. Also the ending was made shorter.

This was a smart move because radio stations like shorter songs. I wonder if we'll see a video for Stuck here in the U.S. Will it be the one they used in Europe?

Wow I never knew any of this info.........

o well..............

cool................

------------------
Joe "elevate me" Despres

PLEASE come visit my awesome Beatles website!
It has polls, trivia, graphics, and much more!

www.angelfire.com/music2/online beatles

it was brian eno who made the bet with Bono about stuck, not Paul.

------------------
"You know, when we came through here on the Conspiracy of Hope tour, I could just feel something happening. People in offices, and factories, and schools, and artists, and everybody just kind of waking up or something. It was great. I remember, I think we did five dates, five or six dates. But I remember very much Chicago. One, because I think U2 played well that night, it was good. And the other because, you're so noisy. For the name of love!"

remember everyone, place a couple phone calls and emails to your local radio. Let them know you want to hear stuck and if you hear it, tell them you love it! It could help them decide to play it more rather than drop it like the last two singles.

I'm shocked that Elevation didn't get more airplay. I thought it would be a huge hit. MTV and especially VH-1 are playing the video for it over and over again, so at least it got exposure that way, but radio, forget it. Maybe in the first couple weeks I heard it but now it is long lost.

I wouldn't say Walk On bombed. For the first month after it was released I heard it on NJ/NYC radio stations, not a lot, but more than Elevation got.

Stuck probably will do better. Mainstream radio will probably accept it more, but you never know.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 08-04-2001).]

Maybe its a regional thing but Elevation and Walk On are both pretty well played in Chicago...I've heard both Tomb Raider and the original Elevation on several stations and Walk On practically once a day. Even BD is still played with some consistency here.

Originally posted by ericb:
I'm shocked that Elevation didn't get more airplay. I thought it would be a huge hit. MTV and especially VH-1 are playing the video for it over and over again, so at least it got exposure that way, but radio, forget it. Maybe in the first couple weeks I heard it but now it is long lost.

I wouldn't say Walk On bombed. For the first month after it was released I heard it on NJ/NYC radio stations, not a lot, but more than Elevation got.

Stuck probably will do better. Mainstream radio will probably accept it more, but you never know.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 08-04-2001).]

Walk on is probably my fav track on ATYCLB too...I have no idea why it didn't get much exposure. Everybody said that this album is "U2 returning to it's roots" I don't necessarily agree, but of all the songs, if any fits that description it's Walk on so you'd think it'd be more popular. Ahh well. The mass public's loss I reckon'. I'm gonna go have a snocone now.

------------------
Nothin' much to say I guess...just the same as all the rest

i hopE you are right! i want U2 to have another huge hit! Goooooooooo U2!!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
--STU234

Dammit, i'm NOT a newbie i just can't decide on a 'handle'

[This message has been edited by STU234 (edited 08-06-2001).]

thats very cool change, does this maybe mean that they could enter the billboard hot 100 soon? or what does top 40 mean again? isnt that dc, bsb, and nsync territory, THE BIG chart?

and, since im asking anyway, do you think that stuck will chart on any chart soon, be it modern rock or anywhere? im curious, very curious.

------------------
-death bear

This is BIG people. Get requesting! Post any email or phone for your stations here and maybe others will drop them a request. I will for sure.

Bear - if they keep getting added at a good rate, you can bet that we will see them somewhere on the Hot 100 within the next couple weeks. It will also take airplay on other formats (especially on adult top 40) to get them up into any respectable position on the Hot 100. My guess is we see Stuck show up on both Adult top 40 and the Hot 100 in about 2 weeks. I would LOVE to see it be a "slow grower" like BD was.
It s-l-o-w-l-y rose up both Hot 100 and adult charts stayed around for a while and then slowly went down.

And yes Top 40 radio is mostly BSB, Britney territory, but many different kinds of artists show up on the Hot 100 charts because it takes into account all types of radio airplay.

I don't really see Stuck getting a whole lot of attention on Modern Rock or album rock charts. Maybe top 25 or so.

Star 98.7 in LA just added stuck to the playlist. PLEASE send them requests. They are a very influential adult top 40 station in the U.S.

email - NicoleVenturi@ClearChannel.com
or call - 800-star-987.

Interesting reading this 2 years later. I just made another post on how 911 pushed the CD into heavy rotation. Then Elevation, Walk On and Stuck ended up all winning Grammys...

Walk On
GRAMMY Winner U2 (Bono, Adam Clayton, The Edge, Larry Mullen, Jr.),artist. Richard Rainey & Steve Lillywhite,engineers/mixers. Brian Eno & Daniel Lanois,producers.
Genre General
GRAMMY Category Record Of The Year
Year 2002 - 44th Annual GRAMMY Awards
Artist Performing Work U2

Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
GRAMMY Winner U2 (Bono, Adam Clayton, The Edge, Larry Mullen, Jr.),artist.
Genre Pop
GRAMMY Category Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal

Elevation
GRAMMY Winner U2 (Bono, Adam Clayton, The Edge, Larry Mullen, Jr.),artist.
Genre Rock
GRAMMY Category Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal

All That You Can't Leave Behind
GRAMMY Winner U2 (Bono, Adam Clayton, The Edge, Larry Mullen, Jr.),artist. Richard Rainey,engineer. Brian Eno & Daniel Lanois,producers.
Genre Rock
GRAMMY Category Best Rock Album

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom