streets intro... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 09:57 PM
streets intro...

Lately I have been realising that the intro to streets is getting shorter and shorter. If I was to read into this, I would say that this is somewhat indicative of where the philosophy of U2 is at these days; that is, they seem to have become something of a song factory rather than artists... 'Just pump out the hits and lets go'.

I just watched the performance of streets at the Cannes festival on you tube and was struck by the all-too-efficient performance of this song.

In my mind it seems I have found another piece of evidence to support the U2 sell-out theory

Old 06-07-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:27 AM
at canne they were running late and in a hurry , they were supposedly meant to perform more songs but didnt have time,
they were also perfoming without the usual thousands of u2 fans at their feet.

i think they perform efficiently because they can , generally they are a pretty tight and polished live unit because they have to be.
you cant have too much artistic freedom when you are perfoming infront of a crowd of 80 thousand people , you have to stick to a schedule, but make each performance look and feel special.
after 30 years i think they still pull it off pretty well.

then again you will never get me to bash them or label them sell outs.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Re: streets intro...

Quote:
Originally posted by junkydog
Lately I have been realising that the intro to streets is getting shorter and shorter. If I was to read into this, I would say that this is somewhat indicative of where the philosophy of U2 is at these days; that is, they seem to have become something of a song factory rather than artists... 'Just pump out the hits and lets go'.

I just watched the performance of streets at the Cannes festival on you tube and was struck by the all-too-efficient performance of this song.

In my mind it seems I have found another piece of evidence to support the U2 sell-out theory

you're absolutely right..... lately I've been a bit Streets mad, been listening to the versions I have (live and such) and comparing them... on the album it has the long intro, but not with the click clack of larry's drum sticks... then on the JT tour it had the perfect intro, Zootv was long too, but with the outro of RTSS, pop was long too, elevation was a little bit shorter, and vertigo didn't have the traditional intro at all it was incredibly short and I am dissapointed by it...
they should bring back the long intro!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:57 AM
Re: Re: streets intro...

Quote:
Originally posted by Galeongirl

vertigo didn't have the traditional intro at all it was incredibly short and I am dissapointed by it...
they should bring back the long intro!
Agreed

That said, i love the sound of the opening guitar notes from Vertigo
Old 06-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
Acrobat

maybe because they had a long intro to City Of Blinding Lights, they wanted to change Streets
Old 06-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
The Male

Local Time: 01:57 PM

Quote:

Don't use Cannes to represent U2's recent attitude on live performances...it was late, they were in a hurry, etc.

On the whole "selling out" thing, my lengthy theory can be seen here:

http://forum.interference.com/showth...8&pagenumber=3
Old 06-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:57 PM

Quote:

You can't use the Canne festival as any kind of indicator...

Shorter intro = sellout?

Shit theory.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
The Fly

Cannes is not the summation of my theory. Merely a recent example of a developing trend.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Cannes is not the summation of my theory. Merely a recent example of a developing trend.
No it just made your "theory" even weaker by mentioning a one off show like Cannes.

The intro has shortened and lengthened depending on where it is in the setlist, period. There is no theory about it...
Old 06-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
The Fly

I'm gonna give up trying to explain my grey perceptions in a forum where the readers are only black or white....
Old 06-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'm gonna give up trying to explain my grey perceptions in a forum where the readers are only black or white....
I'm one of the least black and white people you'll meet. It's just your "theory" lacks so much logic and reasoning...
Old 06-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:57 PM
I can see where junkydog is coming from, though I don't necessarily agree, however, I don't think it's a complete toss of a theory either.

However, I do think that U2 use the songs based on the tour and the concept and themes they are trying to get across. For Popmart, the "Streets" intro had that quite different electronica treatment and that was heavily emphasized. But for Vertigo, I think the visuals and theme of Africa was more important than showcasing the intro.

Plus, let's face it, they've been playing the song for 20 years. I doubt they want to play it the same every time.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:57 AM
If they were selling out wouldn't they play it in the most popular style every tour, every time?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:57 PM
i'd say don't worry about it
Old 06-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #15
Refugee

When they are just standing there off the runway at Cannes, I'm sure they just want to get to the song. To stand there for minutes on end twidling their thumbs would have been kinda silly.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:57 PM
I thought the shortest was ZooTV. Elevation and Vertigo were longer than that. I mean Elevation had the psalm recitation and Vertigo had the "to the mouth of river nile" and all that.

Of course, I assume we mean the guitar intro.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:09 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:57 PM
Old 06-08-2007, 01:39 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I thought the shortest was ZooTV. Elevation and Vertigo were longer than that. I mean Elevation had the psalm recitation and Vertigo had the "to the mouth of river nile" and all that.

Of course, I assume we mean the guitar intro.
Please, logic doesn't exist here in interference...

Look, when U2 starts pulling off a Prince and does a whole concert of snippets, then you can start a thread like this.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:57 PM
So I finally watched the Cannes show - Edge's guitar sounds suspiciously pre-recorded

He's playing the same guitar for both songs but it magically starts sounding like a Stratocaster for Streets. Come on, guys, I thought you were better than this
Old 06-08-2007, 02:54 AM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah yeah, that's all been talked to death in the Cannes thread...