stranger in a strange land

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
anyone know for sure, whether or not, the boys ever sang this live? or even a clip of it? i'm pretty sure it one of those rare one like playboy mansion that has never been done live.

To my knowledge, never played live. However, Bono does a very small snippet of it on 28 October 1984 in Brussels, I THINK during Surrender. Wait, it might be The Cry/The Electric Co. Not 100% sure.

As far as the Playboy Mansion goes, that was snippeted at the end of some Popmart performances of Where The Streets Have No Name. I understand the only U2 album songs to have never even been snippeted live are The Refugee, Red Light, Red Hill Mining Town and Heartland. I'm not sure about Is That All? either, but it shares guitar with The Cry.

Last edited:
marik said:
what date is an example of Playboy mansion being tagged on the end of Streets?

Check the Please single, there?s Please/Strees live from Rotterdam. In the end of Streets you can hear Bono singing the following verses from The Playboy Mansion: "then there will be no time for sorrow, then there will be no time for shame", and it?s repeated several times.

Cheers
MT

I don't know if they have ever played it live but I just want to say that there are some good stuff there on that song and maybe the best intro of a U2 song.

marik said:
do you have the brussels track w/ stranger tagged on it? know where i could hear this?

I just checked the bootleg and it's one of a number of snippets during The Cry/The Electric Co. The snippet isn't exact either, but the second I heard it I thought of SIASL: "I write this song to tell you the way I feel about you." I don't know if it's available online anywhere or not, I downloaded it when it was a concert of the week somewhere.

With regards to Streets/Playboy Mansion, I haven't listened to any Popmart performances of Streets in ages because it doesn't excite me all that much, but Follower gave one example and there's definitely more out there. It wasn't a rare occurrence.

Yes, they played it once in 1981, I think live on British radio. I've never heard it (though I'd love to!) and I forget the date.

Back
Top Bottom