Straight from The New Yorker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2-the name, originally nicked from the high-flying spy plane,
:huh:

besides that, it was an interesting write up. I've never read any of the New Yorker before and the writing style certainly was different.

Good article!! Thank-You!! I particularly like the following quote.... I see so much truth in it:

Stars with a cause are often dismissed as dilettantes. This, if not always unfair, is beside the point. The world would not be a better place, on balance, if Barbra Streisand never raised a dime for female candidates, Paul McCartney forgot all about land mines, and Richard Gere shut up about the Dalai Lama. With Bono, however, the dilettante question does not arise. He is unarguably serious, and his talent for politics has turned out to be the equal of his talent for music.

oliveu2cm said:

:huh:

besides that, it was an interesting write up. I've never read any of the New Yorker before and the writing style certainly was different.

Hey Olive . . . aren't you a New Yorker yourself? I always assumed that everyone from New Yorker read the New Yorker. Maybe it's really for the out-a-towners like me.:laugh:

My New Yorker-reading colleagues all burst into my office with this this morning, having received it in their mailboxes yesterday. What's cool is that none of them are even U2 fans but one of them--who cannot even NAME a U2 song--said, "Everyone knows Bono knows more about the World Bank than anyone else in the world. " I don't know if that's true or not, but it sure made me smile that my officemate said it. :) Another one, also not a fan, said, "He should run for public office" and the other one said, "Oh, he's sure to be appointed to some position--it's inevitable."

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
My New Yorker-reading colleagues all burst into my office with this this morning, having received it in their mailboxes yesterday. What's cool is that none of them are even U2 fans but one of them--who cannot even NAME a U2 song--said, "Everyone knows Bono knows more about the World Bank than anyone else in the world. " I don't know if that's true or not, but it sure made me smile that my officemate said it. :) Another one, also not a fan, said, "He should run for public office" and the other one said, "Oh, he's sure to be appointed to some position--it's inevitable."

This whole thing is just amazing. The article is great. My mother asked me if I'd kept up with the Bono-O'Neil trip. What a stupid question. :lol: Of course I did! It was fantastic! My mother agrees even though she can't name a U2 song. Some political people in Ireland have talked to both Bono and Ali about political offices but they keep saying that they're not interested. And I'd hate like heck to lose Bono to political officialdom, so that's the wise thing for them to do. After all, can one think of a worse nightmare than losing Bono to anything? As long as he's doing something like DATA then we won't lose him to anything. Political office is a different story.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom