Still working on the album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Capitalism is looking pretty disastrous for the average person right now...

in the news, today, privatized utilities firms are fixing wholesaler prices, hiking up energy costs and selling to the consumer at crippling prices and people are struggling and going without basics such as heating, here in Europe

and you get corporations, such as Starbucks and Amazon for example, which have driven small businesses, independent cafes and bookshops out of business, in the UK, yet they're managing to evade corporation tax on a massive scale - you think that's OK?

Capitalism is great for the corporations, but not so much for the average family who are struggling to make ends meet until the end of each month due to being hit by cut after cut after cut as well as increased taxes...

fwiw, i find it nauseating that B'man's (RED) is associated with some of these corporations quite frankly - i would love to know what their stance is on this latest Starbucks scandal... they really should choose their partners more wisely - or risk losing their credibility... they probably don't give a shit though LOL

Lesson 1: Capitalism is good for the average family.
You can cross shop (competition) across online and offline merchants (such as big bad Amazon) and buy cheaper goods based on corporations fighting for your dollar. The average family wins in they get higher quality goods at lower prices. You could even argue this even better for families than corporations as the corporation can't fix prices and have to make do with slimmer profit margins (Amazon operates their whole business at a 1% profit margin!).

(drops mike on ground.)

Lesson 1: Capitalism is good for the average family.
You can cross shop (competition) across online and offline merchants (such as big bad Amazon) and buy cheaper goods based on corporations fighting for your dollar. The average family wins in they get higher quality goods at lower prices. You could even argue this even better for families than corporations as the corporation can't fix prices and have to make do with slimmer profit margins (Amazon operates their whole business at a 1% profit margin!).

(drops mike on ground.)

This only works if you have a job to pay for things in the first place. Closure of small businesses means that average people no longer have much disposable income to spend on luxury items like those sold on amazon. The best jobs these people can get is working for nothing for the corporations. It will be their undoing, because if they have driven all the money out of the market by destroying small businesses, then no-one will be able to afford their products

Wait? The gvt should stop Amazon and Starbucks from putting mom & pop shops out of business?

How on earth would the gvt do that?

i wonder why all the silence this time around? On purpose? Has U2 realized that all the hype can lead to backlash with fans and critics?

Just seems like if they were actively working on an album for a 2013 release, we'd have a few snippets or soundbytes to go off of by now. We've literally heard nothing other than there were some sessions with DM.

Let's say they want a fall 2013 release. That means they would probably need to be in the studio full time right after the holidays. They'd need to wrap up production and mastering of the album by August (let's go with a late Oct release like ATYCLB) with a single out in September.

I have to wonder with all the depressing talk Bono was giving a year ago, about how the band isn't even sure if they can be relevant anymore....if U2 is maybe done.

BEAL said:
i wonder why all the silence this time around? On purpose? Has U2 realized that all the hype can lead to backlash with fans and critics?

Just seems like if they were actively working on an album for a 2013 release, we'd have a few snippets or soundbytes to go off of by now. We've literally heard nothing other than there were some sessions with DM.

Let's say they want a fall 2013 release. That means they would probably need to be in the studio full time right after the holidays. They'd need to wrap up production and mastering of the album by August (let's go with a late Oct release like ATYCLB) with a single out in September.

I have to wonder with all the depressing talk Bono was giving a year ago, about how the band isn't even sure if they can be relevant anymore....if U2 is maybe done.

They have probably wrapped already and sifting through edits and cuts. Don't be so doomsday on us.

Can we have an update on the whereabouts of Terry Lawless?

Funnily enough, I looked into that recently. He seems to have designed a somewhat less awful website than he had previously, and it seems to not have that feature. But it does have a calendar, and it's not terribly enlightening.

He also lists two email addresses, a Skype username, and a cellphone number on his contact page. It's almost tempting...

Well by now U2 have been working on this album for at least two years on and off. There's NO WAY that they won't have it out within 12 months of now. My bet is that they are planning on touring 2014, so the album will come out Nov '13. There's no money to be made from albums any more (With downloads as they are, this next album will sell 4 million MAX) but even an arena tour (which is what's been suggested) will rake in the cash and is the main priority. Therefore, the album release is dictated by the touring schedule.
What's frustrating though is the complete lack of news of any kind. What the hell are these guys doing?

Well by now U2 have been working on this album for at least two years on and off. There's NO WAY that they won't have it out within 12 months of now. My bet is that they are planning on touring 2014, so the album will come out Nov '13. There's no money to be made from albums any more (With downloads as they are, this next album will sell 4 million MAX) but even an arena tour (which is what's been suggested) will rake in the cash and is the main priority. Therefore, the album release is dictated by the touring schedule.
What's frustrating though is the complete lack of news of any kind. What the hell are these guys doing?

You have hit the nail directly on the head. That's the main reason we didn't see a new album this fall... they weren't ready to tour yet. 360 did just end 15 months ago, afterall.

Bono is busy preaching nonsense to the masses.

You have hit the nail directly on the head. That's the main reason we didn't see a new album this fall... they weren't ready to tour yet. 360 did just end 15 months ago, afterall.

Except plans for a tour don't really begin until the album is near completion...360 is old news, enough for a smaller/arena this year, had the album been finished. No album = no tour.

2013 is right on schedule given their releases in the 00's.

FlyontheHorizon said:
But weren't plans for 360 already being drawn up by the end of Vertigo?

Just barely. I think Bono came up with the basic idea in Honolulu.

Perhaps the album is already done, or something close to that, and they're just holding off until fall 13. As stated before it's pointless to release an album unless it's purpose is to be a launch pad for a new tour. Hence why the band members are in New York, LA, France and are giving speeches and acting in movies. They're just killing time until it's time to fire up the U2 machine again.

Perhaps the album is already done, or something close to that, and they're just holding off until fall 13. As stated before it's pointless to release an album unless it's purpose is to be a launch pad for a new tour. Hence why the band members are in New York, LA, France and are giving speeches and acting in movies. They're just killing time until it's time to fire up the U2 machine again.

I have no idea how the mind of an artist works. But if they had an almost complete record that they were genuinely excited about, wouldn't they want to get it out asap? I mean, intentionally sitting on it for a year...wouldn't it get stale for them after that time? I know that "corporate U2" has become inseparable from "artistic U2". Nonetheless, I still find the notion that they are holding off solely for the money spinning tour as...dispiriting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom