Still the best arena rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well i was watching Zootv and Popmart live in sydney the other day

and i couldnt help but feel that rock and roll needs to bring that back

the whole concept of packing out that 80000+ capacity stadium and bring a rock and roll show which is like 10 FA Cup finals, Olympic Opening Ceremonies, World Cup Finals, but there is action just music for the masses you didnt have to like u2 to enjoy the fact that you were going to be entertained, much like how the superbowl functions, where you did not have to like american football or even understand it at all, but be put in awe of the spectacle and atmosphere that was handed to you

the question does remain: how did stuff like Zootv and Popmart could exist in a time era like that? yet everyone wants smaller seat stadiums these days instead?

CrashedCarDriver said:
the question does remain: how did stuff like Zootv and Popmart could exist in a time era like that? yet everyone wants smaller seat stadiums these days instead?

ZOO TV existed because there was a stadium demand for U2 and U2 were rich enough to afford it after cashing in on the JT/R&H era.

Popmart existed because ZOO TV was successful and U2 had more money.

Elevation came about because POPmart did not have enough profit because the cost of maintaining it was too high and on many smaller city legs, they were playing to half-empy stadiums.

So basically, POPMart started the downward decline.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

The stadium thing was pretty cool, especially for ZOOTV. What bothered me most was something that CrashedCarDriver mentioned. You don't even have to be a fan to go...

Well, in the stadium there are so many seats that there are a lot more non-fans, and just plain drunk jack asses. It really takes away from the show. I remember during Popmart people sitting and having conversations while Bono was onstage pouring out his heart in tears singing Please, and then started jumping around for STreets, like "Oh, I know this one, YEAH!!! It made me SO pissed off.

I like arenas.

Last edited:
ouizy said:

again, I was there front row.

Unbelievable.

How the Hell did ya manage that?? I was in the field boxes...if it wasn't for the screens, I wouldn't have seen anything.

It was 1992, right?? Ever since I hit 40, my memory seems to be failing.

jinks mentioned that zootv was funded from joshua tree and popmart was funded from zootv and elevation cause of its size was funded from popmart. Well this is not entirely true. you see popmart made millions and millions of dollars it saw great commercial success but cause of press and not selling out every show somehow became a dud in the eyes of the public. let me tell you the tickets for popmart went on sale many months before the show arrived in town. if the band was not to make a sugnificant amount of cash from that show then that show would have been cancelleed and the next show that did make enough money be shown. Popmart was probably their top money maker of all time.. due to the fact that zootv was not very profitable. it was mentioned that popmart made alot more money then elevation. the band chose to do arena cause they wanted to for the hell of it. im very sure they are aware of the cities that call for stadiums and still decided to do arena instead. if money was not going to be made from popmart the tour would have been cancelled. just because some shows dont sell out does not mean they are declining. popmart was seen and heard by over twice as many people as elevation..

Back
Top Bottom