Stay..... What does it mean to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim M

Babyface
Well, What can I say..... Im absolutely heartbroken! What a version, I can't believe how amazing the song sounds! Bono sounds so emotional and that he actually means what he is singing and the Orchestra really does compliment the vocals (His voice is brilliant) and emotions. Maybe this is the song Ive been waiting to hold on to in ages because where I am in my life at the moment, god, U2 always seem to save me in these situations! Ok, so What does this song remind you off?
Me, Well, 'Stay' means to me that Ive been completely in love with a girl for long time and we are close friends BUT shes blind to what I say/feel and I suppose "And if you look, you look through me, and if you talk its not with me, and when I touch you, you don't feel a thing, If I could stay then the night would give you up"

That verse sums it up perfectly and it really hurts.....

What does Stay mean to you ?

"If I could stay with the demons you drowned, stay with the spirit I found, stay and the night would be enough"

Its a beautiful song! Not sure exactly what its about.

Like any good song about the intricacies of human relationships, Stay is open to lots of interpretations. Still, I can't help but hear about a woman in a bad life/bad relationship (like everybody on Zooropa), sung by a friend who loves her and wants to save her from it all. "...then the night would give you up..." is SUCH a compassionate line! BTW, which version are you referring to, Tim? Studio, or a particular live one?

Deb D

------------------
take some time out and entertain the questions of a
longing heart
-- Steve Beard

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Alot of days it?s the last thing I hear at night!
smile.gif

Love that song!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

Originally posted by STING2:
Its a beautiful song! Not sure exactly what its about.

In Flanagan's Bible, it says Bono's just making up words (while watching) to the Wim Wender's indie movie "Farawayh So Close" (btw, the reason for the parenthesis on the song title), which the movie itself is a sequel to "Wings of Desire."

[This message has been edited by theSoulfulMofo (edited 02-12-2002).]

Originally posted by truecoloursfly:
Like any good song about the intricacies of human relationships, Stay is open to lots of interpretations. Still, I can't help but hear about a woman in a bad life/bad relationship (like everybody on Zooropa), sung by a friend who loves her and wants to save her from it all. "...then the night would give you up..." is SUCH a compassionate line! BTW, which version are you referring to, Tim? Studio, or a particular live one?

Deb D

That's my take also.
Stay is one of my top 5 favorite songs, it's just so tender, beautiful and Bono's voice grabs me every time I listen to it.

Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo:
In Flanagan's Bible, it says Bono's just making up words (while watching) to the Wim Wender's indie movie "Farawayh So Close" (btw, the reason for the parenthesis on the song title), which the movie itself is a sequel to "Wings of Desire."

[This message has been edited by theSoulfulMofo (edited 02-12-2002).]

Hold up..........has this all a wee connection with the book 'Race of Angels' too?

I have it but aint started biting its ass yet!

to me it means that I can stay

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Thanks for a great response and the version Im talking about is the new version which has just been recorded it is unbelievable, it really is! Its all quite strange because the reason for my post was because it was reminding me of a situation of what I am living at the moment! You know the plot thickens, well it did today anyway!!??!! And the song opens up even more when I think about it! "And if you listen I can'tcall, and if you jump you might just fall, and if you shout I will only hear you" Wow!!!

The whole song now must be my favourite ahead of WGRYWH.

It means that I should remain in a general position or area....oh, you meant the SONG. My bad.

The song is good.
smile.gif

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

TIM M:

I am also in love with my best friend. She also has no idea and I feel the same about the song as you. Ever since this has happened the song has taken on a completely new meaning. It has become the most beautiful song that U2 has ever written for me. Right On!

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

For some reason my take on the song since I first heard it was the song is coming from the words of a guy friend to women who is tha victim of doestic violence....a boyfriend or husband...and he wishes and hopes he can help

Originally posted by mad1:
Hold up..........has this all a wee connection with the book 'Race of Angels' too?

I have it but aint started biting its ass yet!

Hmmmm...?

I don't understand what you're getting at.

I tend to associate this song with an angel who wants to become mortal because he is in love with a woman. Stay(Far Away So Close!) the movie and City of Angels. In the end, the angel becomes mortal and loses his wings.

"Just the bang and the clatter as an angel runs to ground. Just the bang and the clatter as an angel hits the ground."

It really is a great song. The acoustic live version from Toronto really lets Bono's vocals shine.

Back
Top Bottom