Stay (Faraway, So Close) CD single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
(edit: whoops, please move this to the right forum...thanks)

Ok, let me just get this out there, as it's something I've felt for a long time. I think this has to be my all-time favorite U2 single release. Now, I don't think it's the best. For b-sides, the best is probably Even Better Than the Real Thing, and for live tracks it's definitely Please (Popheart EP, whichever title you prefer).

But this set of 4 songs is nearly perfect:

Stay (Faraway, So Close) single edit
Slow Dancing (Bono and Edge solo)
Bullet the Blue Sky (live 1993)
Love is Blindness (live 1993)

Now, here's why. First of all, Stay is one of the best songs in their catalogue, I think we can mostly all agree with that. But this rendition of Slow Dancing is mindblowingly gorgeous, and MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the full band version released with If God Will Send His Angels featuring Willie Nelson. I can't get enough of this song. One of my favorite b-sides.

But, the best part of this entire single is merciless kick in the balls you receive listening to this thing with good headphones on. I jack up the volume for Slow Dancing, because it's so beautifully recorded, and it's just a joy to listen to. But as soon as it ends, you're assaulted with what has to be THE most intense and amazing version of Bullet The Blue Sky I've ever heard. It's sort of like The First Time/Bullet segue used during the tour, only the transition is much more dramatic, and it's fucking unreal.

And this is my favorite version of Bullet. The band is perfectly in sync with each other, and Edge's solo is out of this world. And finally we have Love is Blindness, and well, we all know how amazing that is.

Overall, this is an amazing single, with a perfect blend of B-side and live material that people actually WANT to listen to. I'm afraid U2's been drifting away from this lately, though the WITS single releases are a good sign.

I've been planning to buy some U2 live stuff off my brothers' iTunes to make a CD for myself, and those two were at the top of my list.

iTunes needs to get Zoo Station and The Fly live on it. :madspit:

It's indeed an amazing single, the Live Format edition of Stay (Faraway, So Close!). I do have to say that I also like the full band + Willie Nelson version of Slow Dancing, but indeed, the demo version of just Bono and The Edge is gorgeous. As are the live tracks.
One small correction though, I don't think that there's a Single Edit of Stay (Faraway, So Close!) on the single. I think they used the album version.

i think this is my fave U2 single. for me its perfect. the 2 live tracks BTBS & LIB are phenomenal...this is U2 live at its best :up:

Totally agree with you. It came in two formats, with two different named formats which i can't remember. the second format was bigger and you could fit both Cd singles in it.
I really like the second disc as it features in my opinion, the best ever U2 remix, the Lemon perfecto mix. In the 90's I was very heavily into the dance scene and it's the only U2 remix I ever consistently heard played at clubs.
The version of Bullet The Blue Sky is the best i have ever heard, and although I like the Willie Nelson version of slowdancing, the original is my favourite, and Stay is one of my top 10 U2 songs of all time, with possibly their best ever video.

slow dancing, love is blindness, ive got you under my skin and the lemon remixes make this among u2's very best singles ever.

if anyone would bother listing all emails posted in this thread, seperated by semicolons, then ill send you all the link that i got from the lovely alanah.

Back
Top Bottom