Stateless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joshua87 said:
sadly, i have never heard this song:( :sad:

Get "The Million Dollar Hotel" soundtrack. It's on there, together with The Ground Beneath Her Feet and a few stunning Bono solo songs (Never Let Me Go, Dancing Shoes, Falling At Your Feet).

:up:

The Million Dollar Hotel is remarkably good as a whole. It's boring in parts, but its ratio of gold to crap is at least as good as the Passengers album. Plus, on what other U2 release can you hear Mila Jovovich coughing up hairballs to a Lou Reed tune?

the soul waits said:

:up:

:drool: Stateless

What does being stateless mean, english is not my native language.

Even tho it IS my native language - I still had to search for info to post here for you!!:wink:

Main Entry: displaced person
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: individual forced to leave his or her native country or home
Synonyms: DP, D.P., exile, expatriate, man without a country, persona non grata, Stateless person, unacceptable person, undesirable

Hope this makes sense!

typhoon said:
The Million Dollar Hotel is remarkably good as a whole. It's boring in parts, but its ratio of gold to crap is at least as good as the Passengers album. Plus, on what other U2 release can you hear Mila Jovovich coughing up hairballs to a Lou Reed tune?

:wink:
Quite obviously the best moments are 'Ground Beneath...' and 'Stateless'. Tho Bono's songs 'Falling at your feet' / 'Never let me go' and even 'Dancin Shoes' are all cool too.
But I also enjoy 'Bathtub', 'Tom Tom's Dream' and especially the way 'Funny Face' flows into 'D.S'.

Aardvark747 said:

Even tho it IS my native language - I still had to search for info to post here for you!!:wink:

Main Entry: displaced person
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: individual forced to leave his or her native country or home
Synonyms: DP, D.P., exile, expatriate, man without a country, persona non grata, Stateless person, unacceptable person, undesirable

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks Aardvark! :) Goodmorning, by the way!

Hmm, the explanation for "being stateless" fits right into the dark, moody feel of this song, I wonder why Bono felt like that-or, if this wasnt about him personally-who he was relating to when he sang it. I never saw the movie, maybe it would make more sense to me if I bothered to track it down somewhere.

*lazy mood-alert and shamelessly tapping the knowledge of the Inteferencers*

No soul - do yourself a favour and DON'T track the movie down!
I have the dvd, I watched it once, and realised just why it never made any of the big cinemas where I live!

A terrible bore.....sorry Bono! But i'm glad they did it, if only for the music!:wink:

the soul waits said:
Lol, poor Bono's ego :wink:

Yeah - tho i'm sure he still sits on his throne at home surrounded by his beautiful maidens feeding him grapes, and enjoys the movie from time to time! Particularly his own cameo part!....

:bono: (irish accent) - "Look Ali....there's ME!!"

:wink:

Speaking of which, I watched the RHOF clip over at u2dotcom (gasp!) yesterday (watched it for the first time- don't ask) and I was cringing at Bono's performance of UTEOTW-he appeared to be ego-struck (and that's putting it mildly) , the way he walked around in the audience, his demeanor..ugh, I was miffed about that.
Don't get me wrong, I love and adore Bono, but that was over the top to me.

I was ga-ga over the close-up of Edges foot stomp though! Man, it's a mere joy to watch that man play. He's one of the most organic guitar players EVER, imo.

Getting way off-topic here, sorry mods.

Only just discovered how decent Stateless really is. Nice song and as you would expect, very ATYCLB sounding.

Also, Never Let Me Go, Falling at Your Feet and Dancing Shoes should have been made into full-scale U2 songs and considered for inclusion on ATYCLB. They are wasted on the MDH soundtrack.

The MDH soundtrack (i got it cheap!), is nowhere near as good as passengers, and the Sattelite of Love Covers are somewhat frustrating.

Nate Dogg said:
the most underrated U2 song, in my opinion....

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

that's also my opinion. for me stateless is one of the top 5 u2 songs from the 2000's.

there's an unbelievable heavy tension all over the song. the piano on the chorus, that deep deep guitar, the final part of it with that beautiful drumming and bono singing "be the weigth..." creates an atmosphere so disturbing that is impossible to resist.

stateless fanatic here!!!

Aardvark747 said:
No soul - do yourself a favour and DON'T track the movie down!
I have the dvd, I watched it once, and realised just why it never made any of the big cinemas where I live!

A terrible bore.....sorry Bono! But i'm glad they did it, if only for the music!:wink:

i liked the movie, really!
I love the poetic parts (for instnce, when Tom Tom says the lines to Eloise). And I am sure that when Eloise and Tom are in the bar they are like one of Hopper's tableau.

And the music is soooooo cool! Steteless, but also Dancin' shoes... wow!

Stateless is okay, but I definitely prefer The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Never Let Me Go has the potential to be brilliant. If Bono and U2 ever cared to work on it and expand some of it, it could be one of their best songs ever.

Personally, I enjoyed the screaming renditions of Satellite Of Love. I'm sure its not to everyone's liking, but it works for me.

Overall, The Million Dollar Hotel was a very good soundtrack, and is a worthy addition to any U2 fan's collection.

Flying FuManchu said:

I agree with Mel Gibson.... Million Dollar Hotel was boring as a dog's arse or something like that. LOL at people flaming Gibson for telling it like it is.

it's cinema, and good cinema by the way.
the only mistake was to invite a blockbuster movie guy which the brain can't go further than "what women want" or "lethal weapon #21"

I adore both Stateless and Ground Beneath Her Feet, but Stateless in particular. It's a tough one though, written and recorded at the same time as ATYCLB - shows they still have it in there somewhere, despite what they put out on ATYCLB. Flame away, but that's what I think. Stateless leaves everything on that album for dead.

bedouin fire said:

it's cinema, and good cinema by the way.
the only mistake was to invite a blockbuster movie guy which the brain can't go further than "what women want" or "lethal weapon #21"

LOL... Mel Gibson and his acting in that movie was lauded by "critics" when that movie came out. I think if not for Gibson, the reviews may have been worse. So score one for the "blockbuster movie guy."

Flying FuManchu said:
I like Stateless... if they worked on the song a little more, I believe it would have been truly a classic.

I agree with Mel Gibson.... Million Dollar Hotel was boring as a dog's arse or something like that. LOL at people flaming Gibson for telling it like it is.

I must have missed where anyone here is "flaming Gibson". :scratch:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom