Staring at the sun live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pero

Refugee
If i'm not wrong, they played staring at the sun few times full band live and then started to play it acousticly.
When did they play it for the first time acousticly???

If I remember correctly it was the third Giants Stadium show in 1997... per Pimm's concert guide, they just tried it with only Bono and Edge and everything clicked.

Shame, really, a full band version had potential.

An Cat Gav said:
Full band would have been :drool:

Yep. Despite the fact the few full band live versions are pretty rough, they're the only versions of SATS that I really like. Edge's guitar sounded pretty nice.

Axver said:

Yep. Despite the fact the few full band live versions are pretty rough, they're the only versions of SATS that I really like. Edge's guitar sounded pretty nice.

To be honest, I dont like any of the stripped down acoustic versios U2 do of any of their songs. Its full band electic for me every time!!

An Cat Gav said:

To be honest, I dont like any of the stripped down acoustic versios U2 do of any of their songs. Its full band electic for me every time!!

I agree. Most of "acoustic" versions simply destroyed the songs, as Desire, A Sort Of Homecoming, Running To Stand Still, When Loves Comes To Town, In God's Country, Angel Of Harlem, etc

Please is just one of the very few acoustic versions that was truly interesting and added a different feel to the song

I never heard the acoustic version of ASOH, don't think I want to....
I also didnt hear the acoustic version of Please, the closest I got was in the POP documentary you seem them play it live in the studio, that was pretty good.

ponkine said:

I agree. Most of "acoustic" versions simply destroyed the songs, as Desire, A Sort Of Homecoming, Running To Stand Still, When Loves Comes To Town, In God's Country, Angel Of Harlem, etc

Please is just one of the very few acoustic versions that was truly interesting and added a different feel to the song

:yes:

And i am one of those persons that find the acoustic version of Please to suck.

I like the full guitar version much much better.

But i do like Staring at the sun acoustic, same goes for desire.

The only song that I enjoyed acoustic was "Stuck In A Moment". SATS sounded pretty cool as a full band. Edge's guitar was unique and the full band performance really filled up the stadium.

schnumi said:
And i am one of those persons that find the acoustic version of Please to suck.

Yep, it's one of my least favourite acoustic songs, along with Stay and SATS.

The only song to really sound better acoustic is Stuck, but that's not hard. Oh, and does the charango version of MOTD count? Because if so, although not superior to the original, I nonetheless found it powerful and moving.

An Cat Gav said:

Not a single one? Matter of taste.

Depends on the song for me, there are some absolutely stunning ones like SATS, Stay on Elevation and OOTS on Vertigo (does this count?), I still haven't found Zoo TV style or the one night it was done on Elevation comes close, also SBS Popmart. I also love First time.

Most are a good take on the song, not necessarily better but interesting. Angel of Harlem Zoo TV and early Elevation, Please, IGC, Wild honey, Who's gonna ride... on Vertigo with Adam and Larry.

Then there are some that don't do it for me: Desire Popmart, Who's gonna ride... on Zoo TV, Ground beneath her feet, Stuck and Walk on.

MaxFisher said:
In my opinion, the accoustic live version of Sun on the Please single is absolutely incredible.
You mean the one from Rotterdam.

Yeah that was a great single, Please from that single is one of my favorites as well, perfectly with a great voice from Bono (which he didnt have everytime during Popmart).

You've got to be kidding me! The acoustic versions of SATS are much better than the live full-band versions. The Rotterdam version is absolutely gorgeous. I know it's a matter of taste, but I can't imagine the acoustic version's as destroying the songs. Well, the Elevation version of SATS sucks, but the POPMART versions are incredible.

I also think the Elevation version is alright.

Although i like it better when Bono and The Edge are both playing guitar.

Wow, put me in the minority on this one. I think the acoustic versions a fantastic. I'll take all of these acoustic versions in a heartbeat over the full band version:

Stay
In A Little While
Staring At The Sun
Angel Of Harlem
Desire

WalkOnTheEdge said:
Wow, put me in the minority on this one. I think the acoustic versions a fantastic. I'll take all of these acoustic versions in a heartbeat over the full band version:

Stay
In A Little While
Staring At The Sun
Angel Of Harlem
Desire

I Can't believe you would choose the Vertigo version other than the Mirrorball Man/Macphisto full band version!:shame:

I like the choice of Angel Of Harlem and Stay as acoustic though:wink:

tpsglick2424 said:

I Can't believe you would choose the Vertigo version other than the Mirrorball Man/Macphisto full band version!:shame:

I like the choice of Angel Of Harlem and Stay as acoustic though:wink:

Hmmm....little confused. All of those songs I chose are from the Elevation Tour shows I have, Boston and Slane Castle.

Axver said:

Yep, it's one of my least favourite acoustic songs, along with Stay and SATS.

The only song to really sound better acoustic is Stuck, but that's not hard. Oh, and does the charango version of MOTD count? Because if so, although not superior to the original, I nonetheless found it powerful and moving.

I ALMOST FORGOT IT :reject: It was a beautiful moment, but expected in the end

I think the Pop Mart 1998 version was much more impressive, poingnant and remarkable, with the Chilean Mothers of Dissapeared on stage comunicating their words about their lost sons. And Edge's guitar sounded like heaven there, I still can clearly remember :heart:

By the way, that Mothers Of Dissappeared 1998 count as Acoustic?. I don't know, if it counts, we have also add Sunday Bloody Sunday by the Edge, that was a highlight for sure :edge:

tommycharles said:
Shame, really, a full band version had potential.
maybe U2 should fill a complete concert with songs that have potential
makes it easier to get tickets the next tour

not that even I would bother getting tickets anymore, but that's the price I will have to pay for U2 to act on their god given right to play songs badly :up:

Back
Top Bottom