spiritual perspective of the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john1800

The Fly
It's generally accepted -- mainly because of his own professions -- that Bono is a Christian believer. The canon of U2's lyrics support that perspective as well. U2's most recent album ATYCLB was infused with spiritual and Biblical themes and references, and the Elevation tour was a powerful experience. Bono was quoting the Psalms, singing Hallelujah, and thanking the Almighty God. Bono spoke towards the end of the tour about carrying the momentum of the tour into the studio, and some of the song titles being tossed around for the new release are ones we've been hearing about since shortly after the Elevation tour ended. A recent rumour has a song title "Jahweh" as a contender for the new album.

I am looking forward to seeing the spiritual perspective of the new album. Bono has been through a lot, with the death of his father and his work for the suffering people of Africa. I think that both of these affected (in a positive way) the faith he has long held, and that the new album will reflect that.

What are your thoughts, predictions, or hopes for the spirituality of the next U2 album?

Hopefully Bono pushes it beyond the limit in this album. I hope he writes lots of thought provoking, religeous lyrics. It's great to decipher the meanings, and it really makes me think.

Also, my girlfriend is a "SUPER CHRISTIAN". I'm a christian, though I'm not a SUPER one. So sometimes we get into arguments. So hopefully this album will give us lots to talk about.

Personally, I'd like some lyrics that go beyond the ordinary Christian themes - as U2 has done in the past. I want lyrics that make me think and investigate aspects of faith and religion that are usually ignored. In other words, something really deep, something with serious significance.

I enjoy Bono's spiritual lyrics. Being a fan of Hard Rock and 80's Metal, I quite frequently get the "devil dog", "satan" lyrics in the songs I hear. It is quite rare to hear lyrics of a "spiritual/religious" nature, where someone is actually calling the name of "Jesus". I'm not particularly religious, I attend the services of my denomination, but I don't read the bible, nor to I preach. I do find it comforting, however that a rock artist can sing about 'God' without getting to "preachy", and also make 'God' somewhat human. That's what is so great about Bono'l 'spiritual' lyrics.

Can't wait! I'll never forget seeing the Gloria video for the first time in 1982... the religeous aspect floored me, the guys just blew me away. Singing in Latin! ( I love ancient sacred music). I don't remember it, but my sister says that I took her by the shoulders, shook her and said "you've GOT to see this group I saw on MTV, they're unbelievable!"
Even now, I get goose bumps remembering how it made me feel.

I'm ready for more!

:yes:

some reflection of his father will be there but i think some songs will have dual meaning....kind of like "kite"......the song was about himself at first but it ended up being about his father...or vice versa....song could be about his father but end up being about himself..........Africa could be there as well I agree, I don't think 9/11 will be there because a lot of that emotion came out in "behind"

Back
Top Bottom