Spin Magazine: 50 Greatest Frontmen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sue4u2

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
of all time. Has Bono at # 10. :madspit: Above him,
9. David Bowie
8. David Lee Roth
7. Axl Rose
6. Elvis
5. Jimi Hendrix
4. James Brown
3. Robert Plant
2. Mick Jagger
1. Prince..
The article goes on to say: Why Him? With that dreamy gaze and voice like a Notre Dame bell (wtf :huh: ) he can sing about the holy Ghost, Irish politics even a giant lemon, and convert the arena to the church of U2
Signature Moves: A kick to the beat and a high step into a mic-stand-hosting. Joan of Arc like march to salvation. (Who wrote this shit)
Bonus: Consulted with George W. Bush, liaised with Pope John Paul ll, and was named one of Time magazines most influential people in the world for his humanitarian work - all without removing his bug's-eye shades.
Sex appeal: 6 (the're fucking crazy)
Presence 8 Fashion sense: 7 and Musical ability: 8 :eyebrow:
This must be a spin magazine employee poll or something.
Just thought you guys might find this interesting.

Last edited:
Yeah, of course he should have been #1, not #10! But I liked the description for the most part - a voice like a Notre Dame church bell! Yessssss!!

(I dont' know WTF they are talking about only giving him a 6 on sex appeal though...)

sue4u2 said:
9. David Bowie
8. David Lee Roth
7. Axl Rose
6. Elvis
5. Jimi Hendrix
4. James Brown
3. Robert Plant
2. Mick Jagger
1. Prince..

Ok Elvis goes in front of him, Jimi does, Robert Plant...maybe but the rest are behind him. Prince number 1? He's good but not that good. Axl Rose was a good frontman, but his ego temper tantrums and the fact that he can't even sing anymore takes him off this list. David Lee Roth, ok yeah he was good for that spandex jump and do the splitz era of music, but at the end of the day he's a joke. The others I'm indifferent about. I think Stipe should be ahead of some of these as well.

Wow, that is really, really stupid. Prince shouldn't even have a chance of being on that pole.

Prince has the sex appeal, wrote the songs, is a solo artist AND could play the guitar damn well........he's a hard SOB to top on that list. I'm rather shocked that Vedder didn't make the top fifty. :eyebrow:

Bono should be #1, or at the very worst #3 (behind Elvis and Prince). But I also think Jon Bon Jovi should have made the top 10. Axel Rose doesn't deserve to be there at all.

Cheers,

J

OK, I agree with Elvis being in front of him, and let's say Jagger, but Bono's better IMO than the rest of that list.

madonna's child said:
Spin seems to always be a little rough on U2.

In "U2 at the End of the World" it's mentioned that U2 didn't, at that time, have a great relationship with Spin magazine. I guess they've done some shady stuff, like exclusives with pieced together articles. Judging from that, I'm not surprised.

I've never been a big fan of "Spin". There are a lot better music related magazines out there.

I don't understand why Bruce Springsteen isn't in the top 10. If solo artists like Prince and David Bowie can be on this list, why not Bruce?

And they definitely need to get rid of David Lee Roth and put Eddie Vedder in his place. Diamond Dave was cool 20 years ago, but he's nothing but a joke now.

OK, here's the rest:
11. Freddie Mercury
12. Iggy Pop
13. Little Richard
14. Perry Farrell
15. Johnny Rotten
16. Joey Ramone
17. Morrissey
18. Courtney Love
19. Jim Morrison
20. Karen O
21. Ozzy Osbourne
22. Kurt Cobain
23. Steven Tyler
24. Henry Rollins
25. Zach De La Rocha
26. Joe Strummer
27. Bryan Ferry
28. Bruce Springsteen (wrong, again)
29. Paul H.R. Hudson
30. Jello Biafra
31. Sly Stone
32. Trent Reznor
33. Joan Jett
34. Howlin Pelle Almovist
35. Justin Hawkins
36. Marilyn Manson
37. Elvis Costello
38. Deborah Harry
39. Chuck D
40. Chris Cornell
41. Patti Smith
42. Lux Interior
43. Roger Daltrey
44. Chrissie Hynde
45. Robert Pollard
46. Gwen Stefani
47. Gibby Haynes
48. Jack White
49. Liam galligher
50. Glenn Danzig.

Last edited:
sue4u2 said:
9. David Bowie
8. David Lee Roth
7. Axl Rose
6. Elvis
5. Jimi Hendrix
4. James Brown
3. Robert Plant
2. Mick Jagger
1. Prince..

Odd. I would think the term "frontman" would apply to the lead of a well known group.

I would define David Bowie, Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, James Brown and Prince as solo artists backed up by their own band. No one bought an album because of the Revolution. They bought the album because of Prince.

For the rest, you have the Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, Guns 'n' Roses, and Van Halen. Well known groups with famous frontmen.

why is Freddie only # 11?

who made this list?

COURTNEY LOVE???????????????????????????

:ohmy:

I thought frontman is a singer - like Elvis, Jagger, Bono, Mercury, Morrison (only no. 19?), Daltrey... not someone who plays the guitar too like Prince, Hendrix, Springsteen.

Some of the names are way too young and contemporary IMO to be included on a all time list - Hawkins, Almovist, White...

Liam Gallagher?!?

ya AXL ROSE! in your face!

the man has been in a bomb shelter for some time and still hes up there,, that say alot!
jim hendrix is a great guitar player but not a great singer!
Freddie should be there.
prince is a one man band!(very talented)
bono is in the right spot! if it were 1989 or 1992 bono would be no:1 but its 2004 and bono's 44(haha stupid joke) ya

Axl may have been a star back in early 90's but where is he now? I think it's safe to say he will never be what he was back then.

Besides frontmen skills, this poll should also include longevity - from that top 10 list, who apart from Bono is still popular and around and relevant? Bowie, Prince (would he still be on the list if it wasn't for the Musicology comeback?), Jagger. (longevity, but not really relevant)
(does Plant being a two piece with Page still count as a frontman?)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom