Speaking Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEVERLY56

Refugee
So I was just out walking at lunch, listening to my MP3, and something came to mind ... how many U2 songs there are where Bono does alot of talking. The 2 that come to mind for me are...All That You Can't Leave Behind (the intro) and Walk To The Water (about half the song). How many others come to mind for you?

I believe you're thinking of Walk On, not ATYCLB.

Bullet the Blue Sky immediately comes to mind. He also says something before the guitar solo in Acrobat. I'm sure there are many, many more.

Everything post-War. I think War was the last album on which there was no speak-singing.

Best album, by the way. :wink:

"Bullet the Blue sky" is the song i remember that Bono talks a lot...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:eyebrow: I'm guessing that's an attempt at humor...

Why? I'm totally open to criticism on this one...but here's what I'm thinking:

On War, every song either has Bono singing at high speed or at the top of his range. Even the ballads have him belting. On every album after that, perhaps with the exception of RAH (though questionable), you can easily find at least one song where a good portion of the verse or chorus has a slowed down, almost spoken-octave, less vocally-acrobatic Bono. As I go through every track on every album, this is what I see. I'm not saying it happens on every track, but on at least one song on every album since. It's not a bad thing at all, just an observation.

War is, perhaps, an anomaly in U2's catalog (though each, of course, is a bit different than the next). The entire album, even the slower songs, is filled with a lyrical and musical rage that just isn't entirely duplicated on their other albums. After War, Bono's voice noticably begins to change--it's no longer the higher pitch of his youth, but instead a deeper, more resonant one (though he can still hit the high notes!). He became more able to use his voice artistically and wisely and no longer needed to belt every note. Also, the band became more interested in sound and technique, in addition to songs. Edge began to experiment with more ballads. And the band, while keeping their fire, matured past some of the adolescent rage that was still present in War & parts of the earlier albums.

All of these things have combined to this: If you look through the albums post-War, you will find at least one song on each that relies a good bit on straight-up speaking, speaking with a musical quality (i.e., If God Will Send His Angels), or something of the like, most often denoted by Bono's voice at or near the bottom of his range (i.e., half of ATYCLB).

This isn't a criticism of those songs--many of them are among my favorites--but just an observation that I've noted over the years. :)

Last edited:
Yeah I understand to a point. When I think spoken songs I think Bullet, Beautiful Ghost, and Walk to the Water where he was truly just talking.

I see what you are talking about but what many don't understand is that spoken sung thing Bono does in songs such as IGWSHA still requires pitch and technique...but I see what you are saying.

Personally I'm glad Bono got away from his pre UF voice, it can to too high pitched and adolescent sounding to me.

"What are we going to do now that it's all been said? No new ideas in the house, and every book has been read." -- Acrobat

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I see what you are talking about but what many don't understand is that spoken sung thing Bono does in songs such as IGWSHA still requires pitch and technique...

Definitely. I think that it's a conscious decision by a man who's become comfortable with his voice and who knows how to use it to its fullest.

Personally I'm glad Bono got away from his pre UF voice, it can to too high pitched and adolescent sounding to me.

Absolutely! :) His post-War voice is matured and resonant, and I think is one of the best voices in the world! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom