Sounds like a mix of Achtung Baby and War...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
That description DOES NOT FIT the desciption of the recently released HTDAAB IMO. Am I wrong/ off in thinking that? I was thinking more in line with a mix of ATYCLB and maybe Rattle and Hum.

However, Native Son, the old Yahweh, the previous incarnation of ABOY, the old SYCMIOYO, and Xanax and Wine is more in line with that description of War/ Achtung.

Also do people think U2 should have pushed ahead with that sound (Achtung/ War) sound that IMO is more prevalent in the ITUNES songs?

Personally, after listening to the ITUNES songs, I felt that U2 were going in a dead end/ off in the wrong direction sonically and Lillywhite and company sans Chris Thomas righted the ship.

Last edited:
i agree... i think they were attempting to get that "war meets achtung baby" feel to it, and sonicly that feel is there, but the songs just aren't as good. the alternatve version of sometimes you can't make it on your own is the best example of this. it went from an ok song that would get lost in the background to a masterpiece, just with a few extra lines and a softer feel.

I actually liked the tone/ or more meditative feel of the "old" SYCMIOYO (maybe its the vocal mix or the way Bono sings it that makes me like it a bit) as opposed to the album version but there were to many sounds/ guitar going on in the old version. It's a surprise for me to say that since I like to hear Edge and always wish there is more of his stuff in albums.

The fuzzed up guitar that was playing through out the song and ommitted for the album was terrible sounding and just sounded meandering.

You're right headache in that the ommissions and additions to the songs actually helped a lot.

I agree, that's why I made my own htdaab playlist with XAW and Native Son on it, along with Mercey and Smile. I wanted that war/achtung feel.

I think they'll go for that feel for their next album..I doubt they will make a clone of HTDAAB or ATYCLB.

I thought Native son, alternative Sometimes, Yahweh and All because were all improved on the album.

To me, Vertigo is reminiscent of really early U2 - especially when Edge plays during the "I can't stand the beat", the short solo and the final "feel...your love is teaching me how to kneel".and for some reason All because reminds me of Even better than the real thing.

Listening to HTDAAB again, I think it sounds more like a mix of The Unforgettable Fire and Achtung Baby.

If they have more songs like Love and Peace... or Fast Cars on their next album, i believe it would be more of an Wachtung feel

i descibe it as a progression of ATYCLB, ATYCLB has some UF stuff in it, but HTDDAB sounds like ATYCLB but not UF. i realy don;t get into it sounds like a cross between two albums stuff. alot of bands and crictics use that, as a cliche. Of course thier going say its cross between two of thier hugest albums, casue no ones going say its cross between pop and october! even if it is. like if kiss puts out a new album thier going say sounds like a cross between the elder and pyscho circus.

LemonMacPhisto said:
If they have more songs like Love and Peace... or Fast Cars on their next album, i believe it would be more of an Wachtung feel

Wachtung. Nice.

I do think the originals had more of that dark, AB feel... not so much War though. I'd say that HTDAAB is UF and ATYCLB with a little Boy, Achtung, and Pop thrown in. Hell, elements from all of U2's albums really... I'm at a loss as to why they changed Yahweh. The alternate version is fucking perfectly beautiful... hopefully the live version will be more like that. Vertigo overall is an improvement to Native Son, though the "PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE" in Native Son is hella tight. I haven't heard the alternate versions of Sometimes or ABOY, but I prefer Xanax to Fast Cars... though Fast Cars has a bit more character, Xanax and Wine is more rockin'.

If the next album sounds anything like Mercy, then I will be in rapture. Mercy most definatley has the dark Achtung feel and it's soooooooooooooooooooooooo good, and has Bono's best vocals since the early 90s. From what I've heard of the original sessions, the HTDAAB songs had more of a Mercy feel... but besides Yahweh I think U2 made the right decision. HTDAAB, while darker than ATYCLB, is a very joyous album. Even the "sad" songs, like Sometimes, have this feeling of joy and pride in them. However, I think U2 may go a bit darker next album... they've already said the tour will have a bit of a darker feel compared to Elevation. Perhaps they're headed in a dark direction (have I used to word dark enough for your tastes, or shall I use it again? :p) for the next album... in any case Mercy better be on it, because that song is WAY to good to end up as a b-side.

AtomicBono said:

Wachtung. Nice.

I do think the originals had more of that dark, AB feel... not so much War though. I'd say that HTDAAB is UF and ATYCLB with a little Boy, Achtung, and Pop thrown in. Hell, elements from all of U2's albums really... I'm at a loss as to why they changed Yahweh. The alternate version is fucking perfectly beautiful... hopefully the live version will be more like that. Vertigo overall is an improvement to Native Son, though the "PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE" in Native Son is hella tight. I haven't heard the alternate versions of Sometimes or ABOY, but I prefer Xanax to Fast Cars... though Fast Cars has a bit more character, Xanax and Wine is more rockin'.

If the next album sounds anything like Mercy, then I will be in rapture. Mercy most definatley has the dark Achtung feel and it's soooooooooooooooooooooooo good, and has Bono's best vocals since the early 90s. From what I've heard of the original sessions, the HTDAAB songs had more of a Mercy feel... but besides Yahweh I think U2 made the right decision. HTDAAB, while darker than ATYCLB, is a very joyous album. Even the "sad" songs, like Sometimes, have this feeling of joy and pride in them. However, I think U2 may go a bit darker next album... they've already said the tour will have a bit of a darker feel compared to Elevation. Perhaps they're headed in a dark direction (have I used to word dark enough for your tastes, or shall I use it again? :p) for the next album... in any case Mercy better be on it, because that song is WAY to good to end up as a b-side.

I really like that summary of HTDAAB.

Do you have an exact quote about this tour being 'darker?' I haven't heard anything about that.

HTDAAB is UF/ATYCLB - I hear nothing from War & maybe some traces of AB

1. Vertigo - perhaps AB sound
2. MD - ATYCLB sound
3. SYCMIOYO - ATYCLB sound
4. L&PoE - AB sound
5. COBL - UF sound
6. ABOY - ATYCLB sound
7. AMAAW - ATYCLB sound
8. CFYT - ATYCLB sound
9. OSC - UF sound
10. OOTS - ATYCLB/UF sound
11. Yahweh - UF sound
12. Fast Cars - could have been Pop

My ATYCLB/ Rattle & Hum impression of HTDAAB was a first impression. I could be wrong though on that part, but I will stick with associating the War/ Achtung sound for the "unreleased" tracks. Also, this was the first description given of the songs they had ready a year or two ago. Obviously, the most recent albums (ATYCLB and HTDAAB) are a mish mash of past sounds and ideas (U2 redux) so we'll hear a lot of different things from the past in the past two albums (U2've even admitted it).

Numb1075 said:
HTDAAB is UF/ATYCLB - I hear nothing from War & maybe some traces of AB

1. Vertigo - perhaps AB sound
2. MD - ATYCLB sound
3. SYCMIOYO - ATYCLB sound
4. L&PoE - AB sound
5. COBL - UF sound
6. ABOY - ATYCLB sound
7. AMAAW - ATYCLB sound
8. CFYT - ATYCLB sound
9. OSC - UF sound
10. OOTS - ATYCLB/UF sound
11. Yahweh - UF sound
12. Fast Cars - could have been Pop

HTDAAB has little of the War sound which is what I said in my first post. However, the APPLE/ IPOD tracks were what I was referring to when mentioning the whole War/ Achtung sound.

Vertigo - early U2 albums
Miracle Drug - UF feel to it, with the slow intro and the piano notes
Sometimes - unlike any album
Love and peace - Achtung/Zooropa
City - UF definitely, with the icy intro and the guitar
Because - I don't know why, it reminds me of Even better... maybe it's the double vocal or the ringing high notes of the guitar
Man and woman - unlike any album
Crumbs - unlike anything, Electrical storm (slide use)
Step - quieter Zooropa/Passengers
Original - All that..., pop at its best
Yahweh - also All that, because it's so melodic

Back
Top Bottom