Soundchecks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathan1977

Rock n' Roll Doggie
We all know U2 have used soundchecks in the past as testing ground for new material -- "Pride" was written at an '83 Hawaii soundcheck, for example, and "Walk On" got its start at a 97 Melbourne soundcheck. Thanks to U2start I've got an impressive collection of jams from the JT, Lovetown, ZooTV and Melbourne tours. What's interesting is that there's nothing really since then -- no soundchecks of new or unreleased jams for Elevation or Vertigo tours. Does no one tape these rare musical moments any more? Or do U2 simply no longer jam together in this way?

Opinions?

We Love You, the unreleased song played on 6 August 2001 in Antwerp, was done at some European soundchecks beforehand.

U2 has always been hesitant to try new stuff in front of any audience, even the limited soundcheck audiences. I think it's very telling... U2 is unique in the sense that they are a very studio band, yet they are a very live band. Most bands are either or... I'm not sure if that will make sense to many, but those that know music I think will understand(and I don't mean that in any snobby way)...

U2 are most creative in studio and they are hesitant to play around or experiment live, BUT they are one of those bands that truly discover their own songs live.

If U2 play tested their new songs live, I would have to venture to say that the U2 Beatles argument would die, for U2 would be the greatest band in the world, because I dare say we would have some of the greatest studio albums ever.

really, walk on?....I thought the only song that came out of that was stateless.....cool

Swan269 said:
really, walk on?....I thought the only song that came out of that was stateless.....cool

Yes, there are certain guitar parts in the Melbourne soundcheck that would later become the solo in Walk On and I think the outro riff is in there as well but it sounds different than the studio recording.
It's been a while since I listened to these so I may be wrong about the outro riff.

nathan1977 said:
We all know U2 have used soundchecks in the past as testing ground for new material -- "Pride" was written at an '83 Hawaii soundcheck, for example, and "Walk On" got its start at a 97 Melbourne soundcheck. Thanks to U2start I've got an impressive collection of jams from the JT, Lovetown, ZooTV and Melbourne tours. What's interesting is that there's nothing really since then -- no soundchecks of new or unreleased jams for Elevation or Vertigo tours. Does no one tape these rare musical moments any more? Or do U2 simply no longer jam together in this way?

Opinions?

Do you got Pride and Walk on? Upload :)

U2 still work on new material all the time in soundcheck. The difference for Elevation and Vertigo is that most of those tours were indoors (at least in N. America and even Europe for Elevation). So you couldnt hear or tape what was going on with microphones.

Also, when they work on new material at outdoor shows now, most of the time they turn the PA down and just have the stage monitors on. Not always, but a lot of the time. So what is being done is very muffled or cant be heard outside the stadium then.

I remember a report from one of the later third leg Vertigo Tour dates, I think in Atlanta, from a journalist who attended the soundcheck that they worked on Mofo and "a new bluesy song".

Of course, everyone got more excited about Mofo.

am sure there is a vid on youtube of them jamming during one of the Croke Park soundchecks,

not 100% sure, but i am quite sure i have seen it

The_Edge89 said:

Yes, there are certain guitar parts in the Melbourne soundcheck that would later become the solo in Walk On and I think the outro riff is in there as well but it sounds different than the studio recording.

Not sure about the riff, but the chords are DEFINITELY Walk On. Bono's singing a completely different tune, however -- but as the Edge once said, "the chords are but the canvas."

I didn't know "Stateless" came from the Melbourne soundcheck. I'll have to re-listen. It's tough though -- that low-end bass really overwhelms my system.

I don't have the Hawaii soundcheck, unfortunately. But anyone looking for links should go to U2start.com and click on "Soundchecks." It's all there for the taking.

Also, I just downloaded a soundcheck from Sydney in 1989, and you can hear Edge clearly playing the piano chords from "Wave of Sorrow." Awesome to see that this track was still banging around in his head 2+ years later.

nathan1977 said:
Also, I just downloaded a soundcheck from Sydney in 1989, and you can hear Edge clearly playing the piano chords from "Wave of Sorrow." Awesome to see that this track was still banging around in his head 2+ years later.

When i read your post i downloaded it, that is so cool

The Croke Park soundcheck "Jam" i think is just them playing around with Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy...you can hear edge trying to work out the main progression, but it doesnt go much further than that.

I think I pissed off their management when I posted the Vancouver Vertigo tour rehearsal setlist.

I did notice that they had guys walking around the building once every hour or two. Plus they took over the entire building for 1 month with no local employees except for 1-2 building managers.

I have never heard anything about U2 having "lockdown" during soundchecks like other artists(Neil Diamond, TOOL, Prince) Only sound crew and instrument techs are allowed anywhere near the stage or stands.

u2fp

Rocko would sometimes announce that all non U2 personnel need to leave the area prior to alot of their soundchecks. So they do that sometimes.

Regarding the rehearsal list, it was already posted over on U2 tours at the time so I doubt your post had any effect or made any difference. Honestly, I dont think they care about stuff like that anyway. So I dont think anyone was pissed.

Blue Room said:
Regarding the rehearsal list, it was already posted over on U2 tours at the time so I doubt your post had any effect or made any difference. Honestly, I dont think they care about stuff like that anyway. So I dont think anyone was pissed.

Given McGuiness's comment in the Toronto Sun that week about "someone that could hear through steel doors" and the hundreds of emails I received, I think you are wrong.

Keep in mind that my posted running order was surprisingly close to the show debut in LA/San Diego the next week. I blew all the BOY-era surprises, ZOO Station, RTSS etc

That said, I doubt U2 cares much about them working on regular songs in the setlist. Usually unreleased material bears little resemblance to recordings when officially released, but it would annoy them if good quality recordings sneak out.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Given McGuiness's comment in the Toronto Sun that week about "someone that could hear through steel doors" and the hundreds of emails I received, I think you are wrong.

Keep in mind that my posted running order was surprisingly close to the show debut in LA/San Diego the next week. I blew all the BOY-era surprises, ZOO Station, RTSS etc

That said, I doubt U2 cares much about them working on regular songs in the setlist. Usually unreleased material bears little resemblance to recordings when officially released, but it would annoy them if good quality recordings sneak out.

u2fp

Obviously the setlist was close, they were rehearsing for the first show. Also, there were alot of people listening through the steel doors from what I read. Like I said, U2 tours posted the rehearsal lists before it was posted here and I know you were not their source.

Emails? From U2 management?

I do agree, I think they would be upset if high quality recordings of them working on demos or jams were all over the net.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Obviously the setlist was close, they were rehearsing for the first show. Also, there were alot of people listening through the steel doors from what I read. Like I said, U2 tours posted the rehearsal lists before it was posted here and I know you were not their source.

Emails? From U2 management?

I do agree, I think they would be upset if high quality recordings of them working on demos or jams were all over the net.

I will continue to think what I think. McGuinness complained of one listener(singular) would posted online. I've never seen another complete list from 3/2005 prior to LA/San Diego.

When I posted the list I intentionally posted one song incorrectly(One Step Closer for COBL) and only one person noticed. That gave me an idea as anyone inside the building that night posted here. No "fans" got hysterical or questioned me.

I also noticed that I was the only one who could answer questions about arrangements. Whether RTSS was keyboard or guitar, whether Zoo Station had a click track or not and how all the BOY cuts were presented.

There were usually about a dozen people by the steel doors, but little could be heard there. I knew the venue and was hiding at one or two panes of glass that had decent sound. I was flying solo.

Of the stuff I heard the only thing that may embarrass them would be them trying SBS in it's original key with Bono's voice cracking two lines in before they stopped. i really wished I had a recording of THAT!!!.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

When I posted the list I intentionally posted one song incorrectly(One Step Closer for COBL) and only one person noticed. That gave me an idea as anyone inside the building that night posted here. No "fans" got hysterical or questioned me.
u2fp

I'm the one that questioned/corrected you on that. What you told me at the time was that you just got the song titles mixed up.

Blue Room said:

Recently I've wondered if the plethora of audience videos is a concern for them. Especially with HD, multi-angles and some videos that are attached to soundboard audio.

u2fp

Back
Top Bottom