Sort of embarassing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n00b

Babyface
This is sort of embarassing...but to prevent myself from any further embarassment in person: How do you pronounce Achtung?

Is it Ack-tongue or Awk-tongue. Or something totally different?

:ignorant:

n00b said:
This is sort of embarassing...but to prevent myself from any further embarassment in person: How do you pronounce Achtung?

Is it Ack-tongue or Awk-tongue. Or something totally different?

:ignorant:

Um... I guess it would be the "awk-tongue" pronunciation. Actually, I think it's supposed to sound more like "awk-toong," but with added emphasis on the "ach" part. Like you're about to hock a loogie.

<--very eloquent, I know ;)

Last edited:
aaaach - toooong. the "ch" is like a cat hissing, not "ack" with a hard "k" sound. the "g" is pronounced, not much, but it's not "toon".

Hoodlem said:
"ock-toong"
Purrrrrfect
icon14.gif

It pains me to hear people pronouncing "achtung" incorrectly. Yes, even Larry Mullen Jr.

Firstly, there is NO "k" or "c" sound in achtung. It is not "Acting Baby" as my sister likes to call it. "Ach" is a predominantly German sound, though you'll hear it in Afrikaans, Dutch, Flemish, etc. If you've never heard it before, it can be a little difficult to imagine in your head. LivLuvAndBootlegMusic's definition is good, though - a little akin to a cat hissing. My German prof explained it quite well too. Say "human" and hold onto that h sound.

Secondly, you do not usually pronounce the "a" as in "apple." It's more of a hard "u" sound, as in "underhand." I do believe it varies according to what area of Germany you're in, though.

The "tung" is little like "tongue." You just have to lower the "u" sound a little.

And thus concludes our German lesson for the evening. Next week, we shall discuss the correct pronunciation of "Vorsprung durch Technik." :wink: U2 fans hear it on Zooropa pronounced correctly by Bono, yet still manage to arse it up when they talk about it.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
Secondly, you do not usually pronounce the "a" as in "apple." It's more of a hard "u" sound, as in "underhand." I do believe it varies according to what area of Germany you're in, though.

:yes: We were taught German as it's spoken in Hamburg.

:nerd:

I was taught it would be "ah" like in ... well, ah.

Never heard it as "a" as in "apple" or "uh" like in "under."

corianderstem said:

Same here. I asked my German mentor (who lives in Berlin) and my dad and that's how they told me to pronounce it - where the "a" sounds like "ah." :slant: I guess I'm completely offbase though.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

"Ah" is a little more what I was going for...though I pronounce "ah" and "under" virtually the same way, anyway. :wink:

People who aren't familiar with German often pronounce Achtung Baby with the "a" like "apple," and it drives me nuts! :banghead:

GibsonGirl said:
"Ach" is a predominantly German sound, though you'll hear it in Afrikaans, Dutch, Flemish, etc. If you've never heard it before, it can be a little difficult to imagine in your head. LivLuvAndBootlegMusic's definition is good, though - a little akin to a cat hissing. My German prof explained it quite well too. Say "human" and hold onto that h sound.

Clearyourthroat-toong, baby!
:wink:

I always took it literally. Ach-tung. (as in Achoo! and tounge). I probably still will, considering I haven't been able to master any of the ways here.

COBL_04 said:
I always took it literally. Ach-tung. (as in Achoo! and tounge). I probably still will, considering I haven't been able to master any of the ways here.

Just watch a few old episodes of "Hogan's Heroes" and you'll get it. :wink:

I'm learning german right now so I should know, right? :wink:
LivLuv and GibsonGirl are right on the money with the pronunciation!

But even before I started learning the language, I've heard the word being said on TV, by Bono and in Interference videos and stuff. That's why I'm surprised that there are U2 fans who don't know how to pronounce it. :huh: Anyway, it's definitely nothing that you have to be embarrassed about. :wink:

Bono usually says it pretty well, except sometimes he says a shorter "a" (like "cat") instead of "ah". If it were a shorter "a" sound, it would be an a-umlaut (the a w/ two dots above it, can't figure out how to make this symbol on my laptop).

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
it would be an a-umlaut (the a w/ two dots above it, can't figure out how to make this symbol on my laptop).

:lol: same here! I'm amazed how some people here (Zero Dude for instance when he's making his crazy german posts :wink: ) manage to type those umlaut letters in! Special keyboards? :scratch:

ü

Alt plus 1 2 9 on the number pad.

Umlaut is quite possibly the funniest word, rivaled only by 'penguin.'

EDIT: nevermind...forgot you were looking for the a-umlaut...:wink:

ä Alt plus 1 3 2 on the number pad. :wink: Does your laptop have a numberpad that maybe is printed on the bottom of your right-side keys? Mine has the numbers in blue on the bottom of my right-sided keys & I have to hold down my blue Fn key to get those numbers...

(random post, I know!)

Zootlesque said:
ü

It worked! :hyper:

hehe :lol: yup, once you figure out one of them, playing with the Alt + numberpad symbols gives you a nice, temporary, dork-gasm! :laugh:

Okay, I don't mean to be a complete ass, but did I seriously screw up on the pronunciation? :huh: IMO, I basically said the same thing as others who got it "right." I've taken 3 years of German, my father lived there for 2 years and my family is German. Or maybe no one saw my posts - which seems to happen quite a bit on this board. It's kind of exasperating.

I realize this an extremely small thing and doesn't matter, but I guess I'm just in a pissy mood. (College finals + writing papers all night = me not happy). I'll get over it. lol.

Back
Top Bottom