Songs you wish U2 would cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would love to see U2 live doing a pairing of U2's "One" with Metalica's "One" :wink:

Actually... Never Tear Us Apart by INXS would be cool... Bono has sung snippets of this tune a few times live...

In general I'm not big on U2 doing covers - don't get me wrong, they're not BAD, but U2 isn't the greatest cover band in the world - that's why they started writing their own stuff in the first place :p

That said, I'd love to hear U2 do "See No Evil" by Television and "Pale Blue Eyes" by The Velvet Underground :drool: honestly, if they did one of those live... I would be in rapture...

Or they could do something completely random and off-the-wall like a Tool song :D Bono singing Prison Sex, that'd be...erm...different. :eyebrow: Honestly though, I think U2 could do a nice cover of...damnit what's it called...the song right after Lateralus on Lateralus. The one that's like "watch the weather change..." It's a pretty little song with an Edge-y guitar part, kinda Eastern sounding. Man, I need to get out my Tool CDs...but I've been listening to nothing but U2 as of late :p

It would be pretty cool to hear a U2 cover of some of the more recent semi-U2ish bands... Interpol, The Killers, or Coldplay... but it's always a little odd when bands that have been around for awhile do a cover of some random new song. I dunno. U2 could easily do Moses by Coldplay, the song is already so U2-y that I think it was written for them to do :wink:

I don't think U2 should cover anyone who has been in the industry for less time than themselves. And so far, I don't think they have. [/B][/QUOTE]

They've covered Radiohead, Ryan Adams and Coldplay. Although Ryan Adams has had his foot in the door for quite a while.

Acrobatic said:
I don't think U2 should cover anyone who has been in the industry for less time than themselves. And so far, I don't think they have.

They've covered Radiohead, Ryan Adams and Coldplay. Although Ryan Adams has had his foot in the door for quite a while. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not exactly. Coldplay and Radiohead were snippets, and Ryan Adams was with the Corrs (although at Bono's suggestion).

I think this is more full versions.

I'm against the idea of them doing "In My Life," though, because of the sheer number of other artists who have done it.

Johnny Cash
Ozzy Osbourne (on upcoming box set)
Sean Connery!

I'd like to see U2 do a cover of an early Radiohead tune, something Radiohed will never play again: "Everyone Can Play Guitar"

Also, "Never Tear us Apart" would be great. And "Under the Bridge" could be a good snippet for "Bad" or "Running to Stand Still"

They've covered Radiohead, Ryan Adams and Coldplay. Although Ryan Adams has had his foot in the door for quite a while.

I meant in the studio. I'm all for doing whatever works live. Radiohead and Coldplay are worthy of giving nods to (IMO), but I'm pretty sure that they have only covered their heroes in the Studio.

Jesus Christ - Arlo Guthrie
Dancing Barefoot - Patti Smith
Everlasting Love
Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
Night and Day - Cole Porter (Frank Sinatra)
Satellite Of Love - Lou Reed
Paint It Black - Rolling Stones
Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Pop Muzik - M (Originally debuted in 1979)
Happiness Is A Warm Gun - The Beatles
Don't Take Your Guns To Town - Johnny Cash
Neon Lights - Kraftwerk

And Bono has done a number of solo shots at his Crooner heroes. Leonard Cohen, Sinatra, Jimmy Rodgers, Marvin Gaye

I know I'm missing some...

Maybe U2 should cover something from David Bowie. But which song would suit Bono's strengths? :scratch:

I say Everclear-Everything To Everyone.
Ain't No Moutain High. And Tears For Fears' Everybody Wants to Rule the World.;)

Wish - Nine Inch Nails
Sit Down - James
Bizzare Love Triangle - New Order
Facination Street - The Cure
She's In Parties - Bauhaus
Us & Them - Pink Floyd
Walking in My Shoes - Depeche Mode

Last edited:
it may come across as corny, but given bono's interest in all things spiritual, i bet the band could put together an amazing, updated "let it be."

also....

fake plastic trees
pictures of you
when does cry (perfect lyrics for bono, "maybe i'm just like my mother ...")

Hmm, I think you need to define what "covering" a song is. Personally my definition would be they play most if not all of said song. Some of you listed Radiohead, Coldplay, etc as being covered by U2 already. If you count a few lyrical snippets of some of their songs tacked onto the end or middle of a U2 song as covering them, then you are correct. Otherwise they have not covered most of those artists.

If they HAVE to break out the acoustic set again, my choice would be an acoustic "We Can Work It Out" by the Beatles. It would be cool to hear Bono and Edge harmonizing to the "Life Is Very short" bridge of the song.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom