songs u2 should leave behind, 2004 tour.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
after watching with or with out you from the boston dvd they should never play it again. i always skip it. and have to watch the rattle and hum version to feel good. pride is also taking a beating and so is bad.

what songs do you think u2 should not or never play live again(unless they do it right)

Didn't we just have a thread like this? :huh:

I love WOWY :( and I love how he always sings it to girls :love: so we can always dream it might be us next time;)

If I had to ditch a couple it would be:

Discotheque- This one doesn't work. It was part of an act. It fit in with the campy Pop scheme and outfits, but it seems ridiculous sung by normal looking guys in regular clothes and it is very, VERY out of place with U2's other catalog IMO and should never be part of a concert again. What I mean is, it had its time and place but doesn't stand the test of time like the classics. (Don't dump on me, I'm not bashing all Pop songs, SATS and Gone do well live on any tour, but this one is very dated doesn't work with the other stuff IMO)

BTBS- this was a very cool act in R&H and I like how it's been reproduced in later tours, especially Elevation. The spotlight thing is cool and it works the crowd well. But I think this song has run its course and should take a rest. (I'm tired of it :reject: )

That being said, my prediction is these songs will NEVER be totally dumped because the casual fan who makes up a large part of the concert audience EXPECTS them for their money:

Pride
Bad
NYD
SBS
WOWY
Streets
One

IMO UTEOTW makes the show and should never be dropped. Walk On as a closer should rightly become a standard for the rest of their careers. Oh and Streets must stay forever, that is the high energy highlight of a live U2 show!

Last edited:
Yes, UTEOTW never should go. Neither should NYD, SBS, Walk On, Streets, or Bad, and 11 O'clock Tick Tock should be permanent. I do NOT want to see ANYTHING acoustic. Acoustic must go.

These are good songs, but just off the top of my head I'm sick of them and they do nothing for me live:

New Year's Day
Pride
Mysterious Ways
Stuck In a Moment

I think that U2 could stop playing these songs, or at least not playing them in every concert of the tour:
Elevation, Stuck in a moment, Desire (acoustic version), Even better than the real thing

We seem to have this thread about every other month. Yet for some reason I always feel compelled to respond to it!! LOL

Songs to be dropped:

Until the End Of the World:
(ducks), They have done it for 3 tours in a row and while I love the song I think it needs to take a break from a tour. If they do play it they need to change the arrangement of it or something, Edge should use a different effect on his guitar or something along those lines, something to make it more fresh. Also, the bullfight thing needs to be dropped. It was funny/cool on Popmart, on Elevation it was acceptable because the heart ramp worked well with it and it gave those that didnt go to Popmart the chance to see it. But now it would just seem a little stale and lame.

Pride:
This should have been dropped on the last tour. Bono cannot sing it properly and they play it WAY to slow. Put in your Rattle And Hum DVD if you dont believe me and watch Pride, then play Pride done on Elevation. You will hear the HUGE difference. They at least need to give it a break for a tour. Bono actually didnt want to play it for Popmart but was overruled by the rest of the band. They should have listened to Bono!

Sunday Bloody Sunday:
Actually this one I would not mind if they kept playing but only if they played it properly. See my prior comments about Pride, same applies to this song, WAY to slow, loses its intensity IMO.

I Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For:
This one is more of a personal thing for me. I have just never really liked the song all that much. I guess I wouldnt mind if they just threw it in every once and a while, but it definately should not be a staple of the setlist.

Those would be my big four. I will say there is no song that absolutely HAS to be played. I would be disappointed if Streets was not done as it is always a highlight. In fact this is the only song I have heard U2 say they will probebly always do as long as they are playing live. Also, someone lumped Bad in as an always played. Not going to happen, it wasnt even played at all the Elevation shows and for Popmart was barely played at all (South America only).

I agree that WOWY on the Boston DVD is bad. But they actually played it pretty well on the beginning portion of the 1st leg. Boston suffers because of Bono laying down on the ramp to sing it. I like the song and I dont mind if they play it, but I would not be devastated if they didnt either.

There is my 2 cents

leave stuck in a moment in so i know when i can take a bathroom break. tired tired song... great lyrics, great melody... too hokey sounding. i wish they would have just released the accoustic version... stripped down, raw emotion... really fucking brilliant. it's a song about a friend's suicide and the album version sounds like a pop song... blah. stick with the accoustic version

eh... whatever... they can play what they want. break out an cat dubh

Pride-Tired, Bono can't sing it anymore.

SBS-No passion anymore.

NYD-Read SBS

SATS-Unless it's full band (although difficult to play)

WOWY-Read Pride

BTBS-Read Pride

I almost want to say One. This song really took a beating on the Elevation tour. It sounded so amazing on ZooTV tour but now, it seems like work for them.

ANY ACCOUSTIC BULLSHIT JAM!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Songs to add...
In God's Country-Full band only please

One Tree Hill

So Cruel-Full band only please

I think they should play whatever they want. Whatever moves them. Don't cater to the casual fan anymore. If you're tired of playing NYD then don't play it.

Mysterious ways
Until the end of the world
Even better ...

out of those 3 Mysterious Ways is the only one that has changed at all over the last 3 tours (still I can see why they axed it on both their Elevation dvd's)
and I don't think they are as strong a song as Pride, Streets, Sunday Bloody Sunday etc (personally I don't even notice Bono's voice while I'm at the concert, I need bootlegs to judge that so it doesn't influence my concert experience)

NYD, SBS and Bullet the blue sky - those three were IMO way overplayed over the years and could use a rest. That's the biggest complaint I have, but as long as we're wishing -

Pride - because it's too weak and tired now. Maybe if they played it faster like Rattle and Hum?
Also it would be nice if they'd play I still haven't found... acoustically more. The electric version is overplayed.

Casual fans need something to identify with. While they may enjoy all these songs like God's Country or Zoo Station, they also need to hear the material they know really well, in order to be able to identify with the show. They are trying to pick a song selection that will make 20,000+ go home feeling satisfied. They aren't just trying to satisfy the members of the interference forum.

It's just like when I perform with my band. We do a lot of originals, but every now and then we have to throw in a cover just to get everyone into it. I'm sorry, but that's the way the demographics are. I know it sucks. If I had it my way, I wish U2 would do a show entirely of non-single songs and obscurities. But such is not the case.

But I don't care what they play.....I think they will always sound great.

I agree with having to play some of their hits for the tour but I really feel like Pride or Mysterious Ways could sit down....just for one tour.....

I love Pride, but they could replace it with another song like One Tree Hill or something. Still I don't care as long as they tour I'm happy.

The_acrobat said:
Casual fans need something to identify with. While they may enjoy all these songs like God's Country or Zoo Station, they also need to hear the material they know really well, in order to be able to identify with the show. They are trying to pick a song selection that will make 20,000+ go home feeling satisfied. They aren't just trying to satisfy the members of the interference forum.

It's just like when I perform with my band. We do a lot of originals, but every now and then we have to throw in a cover just to get everyone into it. I'm sorry, but that's the way the demographics are. I know it sucks. If I had it my way, I wish U2 would do a show entirely of non-single songs and obscurities. But such is not the case.

But I don't care what they play.....I think they will always sound great.

Last I checked this thread was about what we as fans would LIKE for them to drop. NOT what we think they WILL drop. We all know why they play the setlists they play. I dont think any of us on this thread were bitching about the setlists. But wait until the tour starts they will be out in droves and its just stupid. But just indicating what we wouldnt mind if they dropped next tour and our reasons is just for fun. This thread was not about where you took it. So I have no clue why you threw your comments in it.

I guess with your theory if Bono came up to you and asked what you would like for them to play you would say just play whatever and wouldnt have a choice. You would be in the minority on that one BIG TIME.

I would also like to add Bullet to my list. Same reasons as SBS and Pride. Actually I think it would be my number one pick to get dropped. Should only be played if they play it like the Joshua Tree and they play Running To Stand Still right after it.

Last edited:
ELEVATION TOUR i was right infront of EDGE(inside the heart) and they did not play bullet the blue sky but played wild honey, do you have any idea how muck this sucked and how much mad i was and am. but it was a great show.

i think for the next tour u2 needs to take like a two day break after every gig so bono can sing pride, sbs and wowy.

Pride is better now than during 85-89. He's SCREAM those choruses and just destroy it. Not he actually SINGS the note, and I think it's much better, though Zoo TV was best.

Mysterious Way is a live monster, the band get to really show their stuff on that one, epic, never drop it.

WOWY is terrible, and has been for 2 tours Pop and Elevation.

Bullet was best on Zoo TV, and should be dropped, it's getting boring.

Desire-Lovetown and ZooTV version were sick. Now it's just a sing-along

Replace Bullet w/ HMTMKMKM, which they nailed almost every show.
Replace WOWY with RTSS in the Zoo TV arrangement.

It's interesting to see so many people disliking Mysterious ways and WOWY. I mean, MW is good on every tour - really one of their best live songs - and WOWY is one of the older songs that really got back on this tour, compared to the anemic Popmart version.

Drop Bullet The Blue Sky. Why have they felt a need to play this at nearly every show since 1987? As many have said, ZooTV was the highlight of this song, it won't be better than that, so give it a rest.

I'm also sick of Pride. Why do we always have to hear this song? They've given some of their classics a bit of a "rest" before - why can't this one get a rest now?

Highlights that they must always keep because of excitement and energy are Streets, UTEOTW, and Gone. Mysterious Ways also does well at times in revving up the crowd.

It would be great to have a show full of real rockers, especially if the new album is as heavy as they're making it sound. But Bono's voice probably can't do 2 hours of heavy rock songs.

I dont like Mysteriuous Ways even on the album, but it's pretty decent live and there are many other songs that need to die before that one.

Pride-everytime I have heard it live in the last 10 years I cringe, because the album version is fucking brilliant. Now it's slowed down and just chugs along almost as if it's intended to be a karaoke for fans. Die Pride Die! (I love the album version though)

Acoustic bullshit- It was a nice touch on ZooTv/Zoomerang (softness amid the madness) now it's a pathetic cliche DIE!!!

One- my 2nd favorite U2 song of all time, it's just not there for me live since ZooTv

Stuck-If it werent a sincere song, it would be an embarassment. Give us a full band Desire, or retire that song, please.

SBS- it just doesnt make sense to play anymore, sounds ok, just tired of it

I will Follow- cool idea to ressurect an early song for Popmart, but to continue it thru Elevation was a crime, there are a TON of songs that could be brought back to life. Out of Control was a nice touch at Slane. Let IWF DIE. Gloria!, anyone?

I Still Havent Found- this song isn't played that often, and I am not even sure it makes sense to play it anymore. Maybe for the fringe fans.

Staring at the Sun- Why the shelf life of this song has lasted as it has is beyond me. There are several other POP songs that could have been continued. Not a big fav of mine.

lastly,

Elevation- They retired Zoo Station and Mofo, both of the prior tour openers, and 2 of my fav songs, so I say this song should suffer the same fate.

None of them really bother me that much except Pride and SBS, I am just adding an opinion.

I agree with pretty much the general sentiment going here, certain songs are just done to death, such as:
SBS
BTBS
ISHFWILF
MW
EBTTRT
Pride
also, some newer songs are just not doing it for me, such as:
discoteque
elevation
stuck
also, ANY acoustic bullshit, like I've said before, needs to GO.

for me, bring in: (full band, mind you)

please
TGBHF
zooropa( yeah.....I'm sure)
so cruel
one tree hill

whatever....we're gonna see at least 6 new songs plus 14-16 old ones.

my predication for old tunes:
BD
walk on
gone
WOWY
streets
I will follow
NYD
uteotw
one
MW
pride
ISHFWILF
and maybe.....
kite
stay

BTBS- this was a very cool act in R&H and I like how it's been reproduced in later tours, especially Elevation. The spotlight thing is cool and it works the crowd well. But I think this song has run its course and should take a rest. (I'm tired of it :reject: )

Until the End Of the World:
(ducks), They have done it for 3 tours in a row and while I love the song I think it needs to take a break from a tour. If they do play it they need to change the arrangement of it or something, Edge should use a different effect on his guitar or something along those lines, something to make it more fresh. Also, the bullfight thing needs to be dropped. It was funny/cool on Popmart, on Elevation it was acceptable because the heart ramp worked well with it and it gave those that didnt go to Popmart the chance to see it. But now it would just seem a little stale and lame.

AMEN! I wouldn't mind if they played them each once or twice on a tour, but not at every single show.

:drool:

MrBrau1 said:
Pride is better now than during 85-89. He's SCREAM those choruses and just destroy it. Not he actually SINGS the note, and I think it's much better, though Zoo TV was best.

Mysterious Way is a live monster, the band get to really show their stuff on that one, epic, never drop it.

WOWY is terrible, and has been for 2 tours Pop and Elevation.

Bullet was best on Zoo TV, and should be dropped, it's getting boring.

Replace WOWY with RTSS in the Zoo TV arrangement.

That's a great list. I agree with almost everything - though I think they need to speed Pride up if they're going to keep it in the set. Switching HMTMKMKM and RTSS into the set is an awesome idea. Every live version of HMTMKMKM I've heard has kicked much ass. :up:

Doesn't anyone like acoustic songs? I like them because if the full band plays the song will very likely sound much like the album version, and that's not necessarily exciting. (example: live versions of One - except maybe the Modena orchestra version, Pride and lately Kite don't compare to album versions IMO)

(I think songs like Out of control, I will follow, Bad, Angel of Harlem - especially the last leg version, All I want is you and Desire all made great comebacks on Elevation tour and could possibly be the definite versions to go with. I preferred Gone and Discotheque this time, too.)

I liked the Desire for every version except for Elevation tour, so they should either play it properly (or like in POPMart Mexico... I love that!), or not at all.

I also think Myserious Ways should go. I've never been a fan of it. I was ok in ZooTV, but I haven't liked it since.

I think New Year's Day should stay, it is a great moment in any show.

U2 should leave behind every song they played in the Elevation Tour and move forward, play the new album songs, and move backward and play the songs they never played in Elevation or Popmart. Wishful thinking I'm sure.

Cheers,

J

I like the acoustic sets!! It gives the band a chance to take a breather, and the crowd too. I like the changing up of pace several times during the show. It's good for them as well as us.

U2girl said:
Doesn't anyone like acoustic songs?

Of course I'm sure most of us do.

The thing to me is, that while it was a nice touch on ZooTv, I think it has become a tired cliche. If they want to break out an acoustic song every so often that's fine. But to have a contrived "jam set" in the middle of the show, especially for a high energy concert like Elevation, is just a let down, and for me it's just a downer.

More than anything they play basically the SAME songs (Desire, Staring at the Sun, Angel of Harlem) from ZooTv to Elevation.

Why not play RTSS or Hawkmoon or In God's Country or any number of songs that would be a great diversion from the normal set. Instead it's more of the same.

The ZooTv version of Desire is 100 times better than the album version and 10,000 times better than the acoustic version they have been playing. That song is MEANT to be a high energy rocker, and they stripped the song of it's passion, JMHO. How killer would that song have been played fully electric on Elevation.

Anyhow, I do like acoustic songs, I play my acoustic guitar everyday. I just think the manner in which they are doing it has become tiresome.

I don't really have a huge gripe about it and I'm almost positive they will do the same on the next tour. All it really means is when I hear those first few bars of Angel, SATS, or Desire and thy break down for an acoustic set, I'll be heading to get a beer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom