songs u2 should leave behind, 2004 tour.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*NYD - Great song, but it's got to go.
*I Will Follow - Sure, it's always cool to hear the older stuff, but instead of pulling this one out every other show, put in Out Of Control, 11 o' Clock, or something else "obscure" from the Boy/War/October years (ok, not October :p ). It's too tired and I really can't stand it anymore. :silent:
*UTEOTW - They have played this one too long. I know they love it, but whenever I listen to AB now or any of my bootlegs, I skip it. The bullfight is cool, but I agree with whoever said it would look lame next tour.
*Pride needs to speed up. This one is a given, and we'll probably hear it every tour from now until eternity.

I'd die if they added (or played more often):
*In God's Country (Just ONCE!)
*Unforgettable Fire
*Out of Control/any other older song we never hear anymore
*RTSS

I used to be one of the big "play Acrobat live!!" fanatics, but, I've gotten over it. I don't think it would really kick ass live. Better to leave it on the album.

Last edited:
The songs U2 needs to boot are

I Will Follow: way too much play, replace it w/ 11 O Clock!
With or Without You: it just hasn't gotten any better
Desire acoustic: the full band version on the Lovetown tour was
the best version ever!!! replace this with that!
One: yes, I know, im sorry. We need more "All I Want is You"!

Songs U2 needs to put back in are:

Discotheque: the band DID play this song on the elevation tour
and faded it in to SATS, and it was awesome
Lemon: I just love it
Ultraviolet: How can you not love this song?
Numb: :D
The Ground Beneath Her Feet: I just love this one too

Songs that have to stay for all time are:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Streets (duh!)
Beautiful Day
The Fly :D
UTEOTW
New Year's Day
New York

Thank you

don't skip anything just play it properly:
pride-speed up tempo, play it full version (with edge's solo after second chorus)
with or without you-stop speaking (especially in the first part) start singing
desire-leave acoustic version behind.play full band version. this song was meant to be played this way. acoustic way makes it lose all the dynamics it has
just play as if you were 18 again

i just wish U2 would respect their Pop and Zooropa catalogues better!

I mean Stay is a good song when done properly on Zooropa/Zoomerang - but just using it as a super stripped down snippet doesn't work. Songs on that album like Lemon, Zooropa, Dirty Day, the First Time and even Some Days.. really could be done again.

The same with Pop, everyone just associates with with SATS because of U2's constant attempts to get the song to be a Bic lighter moment. Why not bring back LNOE or the quality Discotheque seguing into SATS? Songs like Miami and DYFL would be cool to have back but I just cant see Bono prancing around singing Miami given his current 'persona'.

I am sick of the acoustic set, it is just so fake! Doesnt seem right!

The_acrobat said:
Casual fans need something to identify with. While they may enjoy all these songs like God's Country or Zoo Station, they also need to hear the material they know really well, in order to be able to identify with the show. They are trying to pick a song selection that will make 20,000+ go home feeling satisfied. They aren't just trying to satisfy the members of the interference forum.

It's just like when I perform with my band. We do a lot of originals, but every now and then we have to throw in a cover just to get everyone into it. I'm sorry, but that's the way the demographics are. I know it sucks. If I had it my way, I wish U2 would do a show entirely of non-single songs and obscurities. But such is not the case.

But I don't care what they play.....I think they will always sound great.

but is winning them over with a cover the correct way. U2 won people over without covers because they couldnt play them until they grew as musicians.

but its sad that we live in a society where familiarity is what makes the show great, not the performance. If someone left unhappy because u2 didnt play pride, then what were the doing there in the first place. in a day and age where the fans almost know the setlist before the band does, you have to mix it up.

pride - ive seen 14 shows, its been played in 13, charlotte, night 3 of elevation, had the most amazing version of the fly ever, pride was not missed at all. im yet to be moved by a version ever.

nyd/sbs/btbs - nyd has been played forever and needs to take a tour off, sbs was a nice return on elevation, should be played sparringly, btbs regressed on elevation after edge recreating it on zoo tv and popmart.

ishfwilf - very emotional on popmart, especially with the neon lights intro on the european leg - so many better songs, occassional appearance either acoustic or full band works well

bad - see charlotte above, leg one of elevation had the extended ending with the band kicking back in, by dc in leg one that disappeared and the stupid 40 ending took over. bad really hasnt rocked since lovetown.

one - they can never touch the feel the song has on zoo tv, they seem to have faded the dark strings in the background out - maybe bono/edge acoustic can revitalize it

i will follow - the return of 11 o'clock tick tock and out of control made me realize that u2 has plenty of early song better than i will follow

What happens to U2 sometimes is that they are reluctant to leave their comfort zone. They are a band that is constantly changing their sound, yet the rotation of older songs, pre-whatever album is out, never seems to flucuate. bruce and the e street band played well over 120 different songs is 120 shows. U2 hits maybe 40 songs a tour. Certan songs would blow the roof off, ultraviolet is like the modern version of pride in terms of guitar work, why not bring it back. i did see an interview where bono said he was interested in bringing back ultraviolet and dirty day saying those are two he would like to re-explore. Its hard for me to understand as a songwriter myself, turning your back on such amazing songs. I think we are going to see a lot of rotation on this tour. we saw a little on legs one and two on eleavtion, but then sept 11 changed the approach to their show.

gotta go:

wanderer
grace
playboy mansion
stories for boys
love rescue me

I mean, I've heard these tunes live so many times it's like, don't you guys know how to play anything else?

please bring back:
streets (I think people would get into it)
NYD (ok....I know thats a long shot, but a boy can dream)
and maybe something acoustic....maybe desire would work well stripped down.

:|

JOFO said:
gotta go:

wanderer
grace
playboy mansion
stories for boys
love rescue me

I mean, I've heard these tunes live so many times it's like, don't you guys know how to play anything else?

please bring back:
streets (I think people would get into it)
NYD (ok....I know thats a long shot, but a boy can dream)
and maybe something acoustic....maybe desire would work well stripped down.
:|

:bizzarro: :down:

Not edited to fix a spelling mistake.

Last edited:
I would have to say to rest Bullet and NYD. Both songs are classics of course, but both are also in the top 5 most played U2 songs and, to be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing them rested until the tour after the next one, so as they come back fresh. I would like to see a full version of Wake Up Dead Man and Ultraviolet as two songs to perhaps fill in the gaps on the setlist.

I don't think any songs need to be dropped. Just used more sparingly. Suppose I attend 3 shows on the next tour. At the first two shows, they do not play New years Day. But then on the 3rd show, they do play it. My reaction would be "oh wow, I haven't heard this song on the tour yet." I would get into it.

I hate to drag out the Dave Matthews Band vs. U2 debate, but must say something. I saw Dave play back to back shows in Columbus Ohio last summer. At the second show, there were no songs repeated from the first show. NO REPEATS AT ALL. It was awesome. Now I do not expect U2 to do anything like this, but just mix it up some. Imagine being surprised to hear New Years Day or Bullet the blue sky at a U2 concert.

There are songs I would like them to skip but if I am seeing U2 live in 2004 I will be there with a sh** eating grin on my face.:D

NEGATIVE creep

drop out :
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Elevation , Stuck In A Moment , Kite ,
old-fashioned aND booring

in : anything : everything from 1990-2000 era and the whole " Boy album "

Back
Top Bottom