Songs U2 should be ashamed of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BANZAI

War Child
Are there any U2 songs the band should be ashamed they ever made them?!

I find it hard to name one song, but i think i would go for The Playboy Mansion. I just can't stand some lyrics ("Big Mac bigger than you think", "Michael Jackson is history") :no:

Plenty.

- Red Light
- Trip Through Your Wires
- Love Rescue Me
- One
- Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
- Ultra Violet
- Babyface
- The Playboy Mansion
- Stuck In A Moment
- In A Little While
- Wild Honey
- Peace On Earth
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
- A Man And A Woman
- Original Of The Species

I cannot comprehend how any of those songs made albums even though brilliant ones like Wild Irish Rose did not.

Axver said:
Plenty.

- Red Light
- Love Rescue Me
- One
- Ultra Violet
- Babyface
- The Playboy Mansion
- Stuck In A Moment
- In A Little While
- Wild Honey
- Peace On Earth
- A Man And A Woman

I cannot comprehend how any of those songs made albums even though brilliant ones like Wild Irish Rose did not.

I agree with you that some songs on your list are flaws in U2's career, but I don't think U2 really should be ASHAMED of those songs.

Do you really think U2 should be ashamed of One and Ultraviolet?!

BANZAI said:

I agree with you that some songs on your list are flaws in U2's career, but I don't think U2 really should be ASHAMED of those songs.

As far as I'm concerned, most of those never should have seen the light of day even as b-sides.

Do you really think U2 should be ashamed of One and Ultraviolet?!

What is with people liking those songs? Seriously. I'm well known on this forum for my disdain for Ultra Violet (it overstays its welcome by a couple of minutes and it features one of the worst lines in history, "baby, baby, baby, light my way"). And One has to be the most over-rated song by any remotely decent band. U2 should feel humiliated that they whore that tune out at every opportunity. Could it be more cliche? Could it be any more of a pale shadow of WOWY? At least when they did Stay, they got the formula right.

Axver said:
Plenty.

- Red Light
- Love Rescue Me
- One
- Ultra Violet
- Babyface
- The Playboy Mansion
- Stuck In A Moment
- In A Little While
- Wild Honey
- Peace On Earth
- A Man And A Woman

Wow, it took you eight minutes to come up with that list. I take it you’ve thought about this before :wink:

How could you possibly say that Sometimes is a song they should be ashamed of when in reality they and Bono are very proud of. This song came out of a mans up and down and mostly down relationship with his father and in fact is a form of therapy for him.:shame:

If all their songs are true reflections of the band, true snapshots of who they were at the time the songs were written/recorded & not just attempts to figure out what would be the most commercially successful, then I don't think they should be 'ashamed' of any of their songs. Even ones I find as personally revolting as "Miami". :ohmy: :wink:

IMO, probably half the entirety of the first two albums.

there are some otherwise lackluster songs like Babyface or Playboy Mansion that have a reedemable quality somewhere and make them listenable sometimes, the crowd of Shadows and Tall Trees is just piss poor.

One of my enduring memories of Popmart 97 was as we were walking out of Wembley Stadium, there was this guy who was GUTTED that they hadn't played Playboy Mansion.

I'm a huge fan of pop, but however hard I try, I just can't get into it.

As long as heart, soul and blood is put into music, it becomes ART, and no one should be ashamed of his art.............................
Only thieves and assassins should be ashamed

BANZAI said:

I find it hard to name one song, but i think i would go for The Playboy Mansion. I just can't stand some lyrics ("Big Mac bigger than you think", "Michael Jackson is history") :no:

No

I don't think there's any they should be ashamed of but miracle drug is fucking awful!!! When Love Comes To Town really pissed me off when i first heard it but i grew to like it a little. .....
....come to think of it Walk On's pretty crap too by their standards, its the one song that if I hear it when I'm out in company I cringe.

Axver said:
Plenty.

- Red Light
- Love Rescue Me
- One
- Ultra Violet
- Babyface
- The Playboy Mansion
- Stuck In A Moment
- In A Little While
- Wild Honey
- Peace On Earth
- A Man And A Woman

Original of the Species? :ohmy:
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own?! :eek:
One?! :eeklaugh: :silent: :shocked: :confused:

But That's just me...

I'm pretty rough on the boys generally, but I could never come up with a dozen fairly prominent songs like 'Axver' did. Holy fuck lad, you're tough.

Here's my list:

Peace On Earth (just plain lame)
A Man And A Woman (crosses the line into shitty Adult Contemp)

Axver said:
Plenty.

- Red Light
- Love Rescue Me
- One
- Ultra Violet
- Babyface
- The Playboy Mansion
- Stuck In A Moment
- In A Little While
- Wild Honey
- Peace On Earth
- A Man And A Woman

Wow :ohmy:

I know of Axver's revulsion to all things Achtung Baby so I'm not surprised to see One and Tryin' to Throw.... but UltraViolet? I can't agree with that one at all.

You bring up the line "Baby Baby Baby Light My Way" as the worst line in history but Bono later explained that line in detail in some magazine (that I can't quite remember which) that they purposely wrote the "baby" thing as being totally tongue-in-cheek.

I would agree with some of the others though like Babyface, Playboy Mansion....

You did leave out my most revolting song of them all though..... Miami :sick: I absolutely loathe this song.

BANZAI said:

It's hard to think of a song. But Playboy Mansion is not one of them that I think they should be ashamed of. In fact I think that song is one of Bonos strongest lyrics ever.

i honestly cant think of a U2 songI dont like.

I disliked Desire when i first heard it but that soon passed! I dont think they should be ashamed of any of their work. Each piece relates to a time, a moment, an emotion, a message.

BANZAI said:

lol its " michael jackson , HIStory"

i personally thing the sweetest thing is rather annoying along with orginal of the species and gloria.

BANZAI said:

Those lyrics are the heart and soul of the themes of the Pop album that make it so fantastic.

Pop, is esentially using popular culture, (music, movies, celebrities, advertising, etc) to critique popular culture. This is the Irony of the 90's!

Just as Zoo TV/Achtung used excess to critique the excess consumerist culture of society!

For example, Zoo TV, a whole bunch of TVs, 500 channel satelite aka channel abundance, excess smking/drinking and sex by The Fly character.

He was often smoking when came on stage during Zoo Station, see the Sydney video.

He showered people in champagne during Tryin to throw your arms around the World.

Belly dancer during and Mysterious Ways, and camera in the crotch during Until the end of the World, are examples of excess sexuality.

This pointed out and critiqued how rediculous consumer culture, excess, and celebrity is!

Micheal Jackson is history lyric refers to the deconstruction of pop icons, people love to see celebrities(pop icons) fail and fall from grace.

Also, the Big Mac, bigger than you think lyric refers to the Americanization of the world. There are Macdonalds in Italy, Iraq, and all over the world! Therefore, the big mac IS bigger than you think because it not only represents Macdonalds, it represents the Americanization and commodification of the entire world!!!!! That's Huge! Living in Canada, as I do, we are constantly under threat of becoming too much like America, we have to protect our popular culture or else we will cease to exist and might as well be another State in the USA!

I am a Popular Culture and Communications Major, finished my 3rd year in University and will graduate with honors upon completion of the next, and 4th year!

I have had a chance to study Popular culture, and U2's music as part of some of my courses because we are given the choice to research things that interest us!

So from all of this I hope yopu can see that there is much critical analysis and clever writing on Bono's part to understand and come up with this stuff in an interesting and unique way!

It's funny that you mentioned the most significant lyrics, I would argue, on the whole Pop Album as throw away lines, whereas they are arguably very significant!

Last edited:
Axver said:

Ultra Violet (it overstays its welcome by a couple of minutes and it features one of the worst lines in history, "baby, baby, baby, light my way").

Hey, Axver, THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT!!!
Not trying to be rude but go read Into the Heart; the story behind every U2 song.

I was going to quote it but I can't find my book!

Also, I disagree with these;

- Love Rescue Me * Hated it at first, but like it now!
- One
- Ultra Violet
- Babyface
- The Playboy Mansion
- Stuck In A Moment
- In A Little While
- A Man And A Woman

Great songs, so there, lol! :wink:

Anyways, I don't want to come across as being rude, just wanted to participate in this lively discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom