Songs that will never be played again live ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Here are some songs that were played every night or almost every on their respective tours (starting the Joshua Tree) but may never ever be played again live IMHO:

Trip Through Your Wires
Exit
Van Diemen's Land
Love Rescue Me
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Ultraviolet
Mofo
Last Night On Earth
Miami
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
New York

I think we've heard the last of these songs live, although a snippet or two of these songs will probably sneak in on Bad or whatever song. I'm sure many would agree with this assessment. What do you guys think?

Cheers,

J

Jick, I agree w/ most of those songs never being played live again with the exception of Exit - I think Exit might see the light of day only because it fits in the scheme of their new album "heavy sounds, lots of angry guitar". also because it hasn't been played since the late 80s. They might not be tired of playing it live again. The other songs were played in the 3 more recent tours and will probably be put on the shelf again.

IIRC, Van Diemen's Land was played during Zoo TV and even Popmart (don't know about Elevation). So you can scratch that one out.

:tongue:

Marty (who thinks that One Tree Hill was also played during Zoomerang/Popmart)

It always frightens me when I actually agree with Jick. But I agree with your list. Except for possibly New York. I think that could be played again (although it wouldnt bother me one bit if they didnt).

One Tree Hill will be played again (at least partially), IF they play New Zealand again. Bono has said that they will always play the song in some form when they play NZ in honor of Greg Carroll.

I'am not quite sure why some of you are so convinced that Exit will return. Bono and Edge both commented that the song actually brought them down when they played it on JT and Bono indicated that it and In Gods Country he found difficult to perform (of course, then they do IGC on Elevation, so who knows). They only played Exit once on the Lovetown tour and it just didnt seem to fit anymore and from what I heard they just didnt like playing it anymore. So I think it is very unlikely. Of course I would love it if they did. U2 have many other songs that are or were more popular that are rockers. So I think they will choose the more well known rockers over Exit. Also, dont count your chickens before they are hatched. Bono stating the album is a rocker doesnt mean it will be. Bono is the king of over exaggeration.

I pretty much agree with your list, Jick, except for New York and Exit. Depending upon the sound of the new album (rumored to be guitar heavy), we might just see Exit born again.

Did anyone think Out of control, 11 o clock tick tock, Party girl, Spanish eyes or Slow dancing or A sort of homecoming would make it back on the last tour?

Never say never...

Wether we like it or not a lot of songs might just have to go.. Depending on wether or not the band really likes the songs on the next album they could possibly play 8 or 9 songs off of it.. That means 8 or 9 songs have to go.

Popmartijn said:
IIRC, Van Diemen's Land was played during Zoo TV and even Popmart (don't know about Elevation). So you can scratch that one out.

:tongue:

Marty (who thinks that One Tree Hill was also played during Zoomerang/Popmart)

Van Diemen's Land was definitely played during ZooTV on multiple occasions. I'm pretty sure the last time it was played live was Rome 1993. I recall something about a Popmart soundcheck too.

The last time One Tree Hill was played was 4 December 1993, Auckland on the New Zooland leg of ZooTV. It was played at both New Zealand shows acoustically after One, much like Unchained Melody and other songs were. It will certainly be played in some form or another if they visit NZ again, which I feel is a certainty.

On the whole, I pretty much agree with Jick's list.

I forgot to add Zoo Station. That song definitely won't see the light of day again live.

As for Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, I still believe there is a possibility of U2 including it in one of their b-side sets because it is just a three-chord song and they have done it acoustically in the past. That is also why I did not include Please or Mothers Of The Disappeared or One Tree Hill, because when the ocassion will call for it (i.e. gig right after Irish violence, gig in Chile or New Zealand) - U2 will always pull out those songs out the hat and do an acousitc number. But I am pretty sure the days of the full band version of Please are numbered.

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me might just make a comeback because Edge is doing the new Batman animated score, a Batman movie is in the works in Hollywood, and the trend now is the adaptation of comic book characters to the big screen (Spiderman 2, Xmen 3, a new Superman Movie, Iron Man, The Punisher, Catwoman --- all are in the pipeline). I also did not put Sweetest Thing because Ali might just attend a U2 gig which is played during her birthday or the birthday of one of her kids and Bono will pull the song out of the hat.

But the songs I listed above I feel definitely won't be played live again EVER. That's my own opinion. And if even I am wrong - they will be played live but probably acoustically.

So let me add Zoo Station and Love Is Blindness to the list of live songs that are already 6-feet under.

Cheers,

J

as I see, Jick, you're also going with one of my predictions... the return of NUMB!!!!... or maybe Van Diemen's land (another one of my predictions, it just has to be).

I don't know if EXIT could come back... I'm thinking that a more probably thing is DESIRE/ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER.

Full band WHO'S GONNA RIDE YOUR WILD HORSES is what the world needs... :wink:

I'm still hoping that FULL METAL JACKET is for real... that that's a real song... because no song can be called FULL METAL JACKET and be a bad, not ass-kicking song

FMJ... :hyper:

PS: I'm from Chile, and if they come back here, I wish they DON'T play Mothers of the Disappeared... or at least, if you do, Bono, leave the mothers backstage... politics are good, but not that much... :)

U2girl said:
Did anyone think Out of control, 11 o clock tick tock, Party girl, Spanish eyes or Slow dancing or A sort of homecoming would make it back on the last tour?

Never say never...

I agree with Maja.

Cheers
MT

Indian Summer Sky won't be played again and nor will Numb I don't think

Zoo Station...one of u2's greatest creations won't be back and will remain exclusive to ZooTV....a real shame.

Velvet dress, mofo, last night on earth, do you feel loved wont be back

Gloria NEEDS to come back, but U2 have virtually buried OCTOBER from their discography, and it will never be played live again:sad:

Let's do this list right.

Songs that will never be played live again
BOY:
Twilight
An cat dubh/Into the heart
Stories for boys
The Ocean
Day without me
Another time another place
Shadows and tall trees

-IWF and OOC definately. I forsee a future for the Electric Co, tho.

OCTOBER:
The only POSSIBILITIES are "Gloria" and "October". But even those two don't have a bright future.

WAR:
Like a song
Drowning Man
The Refugee
Red Light
Surrender

NYD, SBS and 40 are obvious. "Seconds" might occur in the event of a nuclear threat in the future. "Two hearts..." just because I know they rehearsed in on the Elevation tour at soundchecks.

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE:
Wire
Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
4th of July
Indian Summer Sky
Elvis Presley and America

"Pride", "Bad" and "MLK" will obviously be played again. "ASOH" will be played only when they come to Ireland....maybe.

JOSHUA TREE:
Red Hill Mining Town
Trip through your wires
Exit

Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Bullet will all be played pretty regularly, like always. "Running to stand still" will make an occasional appearance here and there, as will "God's Country". "One Tree Hill" will only be played if they ever return to New Zealand, and "Mothers" will only be played if they ever return to Argentina/Chile.

RATTLE AND HUM (Studio songs)
Van Diemen's Land
Hawkmoon 269
Love Rescue Me
Heartland
God Part 2

Desire, Angel of Harlem and All I want is you will all be played some. When love comes to town will only be played again if BB King either joins them onstage for it, or if BB King passes away. (I know it's a bad thing to think about, but I really think that's the only circumstance in which they'll play it.)

ACHTUNG BABY:
Zoo Station
So Cruel
The Fly
TTTYAATW
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
Love is Blindness

continued..........

I think the Fly is done. Real thing, One, UTEOTW and Mysterious Ways will be played much. WGRYWH will be played as an acoustic number.

ZOOROPA:
"Stay" is the only song they'll ever play off this album. Ever.

POP:
Discotheque
Do you feel loved
Mofo
If God will send his angels
Miami
The Playboy Mansion
If you wear that velvet Dress

SATS and WUDM will remain as stripped down version, much to my disapproval. Gone will be back in the set lists on occasion. We haven't seen the last of last night on earth yet either. Please will only be played if something bad happens.

ATYCLB:
In a little while
Wild honey
Peace on earth
When I look at the world
New York
Grace

It's obvious the first 5 songs are classics in their own right and will all be played live again.

The_acrobat said:
Let's do this list right.

Songs that will never be played live again
BOY:
Twilight
An cat dubh/Into the heart
Stories for boys
The Ocean
Day without me
Another time another place
Shadows and tall trees

-IWF and OOC definately. I forsee a future for the Electric Co, tho.

OCTOBER:
The only POSSIBILITIES are "Gloria" and "October". But even those two don't have a bright future.

WAR:
Like a song
Drowning Man
The Refugee
Red Light
Surrender

NYD, SBS and 40 are obvious. "Seconds" might occur in the event of a nuclear threat in the future. "Two hearts..." just because I know they rehearsed in on the Elevation tour at soundchecks.

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE:
Wire
Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
4th of July
Indian Summer Sky
Elvis Presley and America

"Pride", "Bad" and "MLK" will obviously be played again. "ASOH" will be played only when they come to Ireland....maybe.

JOSHUA TREE:
Red Hill Mining Town
Trip through your wires
Exit

Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Bullet will all be played pretty regularly, like always. "Running to stand still" will make an occasional appearance here and there, as will "God's Country". "One Tree Hill" will only be played if they ever return to New Zealand, and "Mothers" will only be played if they ever return to Argentina/Chile.

RATTLE AND HUM (Studio songs)
Van Diemen's Land
Hawkmoon 269
Love Rescue Me
Heartland
God Part 2

Desire, Angel of Harlem and All I want is you will all be played some. When love comes to town will only be played again if BB King either joins them onstage for it, or if BB King passes away. (I know it's a bad thing to think about, but I really think that's the only circumstance in which they'll play it.)

ACHTUNG BABY:
Zoo Station
So Cruel
The Fly
TTTYAATW
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
Love is Blindness

Well, if you are going to throw Two Hearts in there because they rehearsed it on Elevation, then you need to put The Unforgettable Fire on the possible play list, because they rehearsed it for Elevation also. I hope you are right about Electric Co, but I'am still skeptical, but hopeful, about its return. Otherwise I agree with what you say.

Everyone keeps pointing to Exit as a rocker on this thread. But what about God Part II. THAT is a rocker more so than Exit. Imagine a setlist with HMTMKMKM, God Part II and Electric Co. That would be a rocking concert. Sadly will probebly never happen.

The_acrobat said:
"Two hearts..." just because I know they rehearsed in on the Elevation tour at soundchecks.

Say what? Is this true? I didn't know that. I love that song, it would be great if they could play it. But I don?t think they ever will again. When in the tour did they rehearse that one?

Historically, any song that doesn't get played for 2 tours is history. Some songs are only played on special occasions. Chances are that when in Spain Spanish Eyes gets a dust off. On a U2 member birthday you might get Party Girl. Sometimes Bono will sing some old song's lyrics while doing another song. Some songs get demoted from full electrical version to acoustically only.
I don't expect to hear anything again that isn't part of the greatest hits setlist that they have been playing for the last 3 tours. Unless they are in some oldies loving mode as happened during Elevation. But lightning rarely strikes the same place twice.
If they really are into the new album chances are they might do what happened during Zoo TV, play most of the songs of the new album with some greatest hits to fill things out.
Of the new ATYCLB songs only Beautifull Day seems safe. Since most opening songs get canned come the new tour Elevation is a gonner. New York was on the way out but was retained only because of 9-11. Its safe to assume its gone for good, maybe just as well since the post 9-11 version sucked without Edge's solo. Stuck and Kite can go either way just as Walk On. It works best as a closing song and since they dropped ' 40' every tour gets a different closing song.
I wouldn't be surprised if WOWY also gets dropped from the greatest hits setlist. They had a killer version on Zoo TV but the Popmart and Elevation version (basically the same anyway) just sounds tired. So unless it gets rejuvinated it might be gone.

In reference to the first post; having been asked, Bono told a fan during Elevation that he would be very interested in doing Ultraviolet again if they could get to practice it a bit first.

Judging from what Edge has said recently, I would have to forward "The Fly". Personally I think it's a great song, but the band didn't seem to like its brief Elevation revival and according to the lead guitarist himself "it didn't survive the test of time".

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
In reference to the first post; having been asked, Bono told a fan during Elevation that he would be very interested in doing Ultraviolet again if they could get to practice it a bit first.

Judging from what Edge has said recently, I would have to forward "The Fly". Personally I think it's a great song, but the band didn't seem to like its brief Elevation revival and according to the lead guitarist himself "it didn't survive the test of time".

Bono likes to say what he thinks the fans want to hear. I translate what he said about Ultraviolet as placating fans which he does all the time. Even if he had said, YES, we plan to play it next tour I would be skeptical. But basically the response he did give tells me they have no intention of playing it. It wasnt a single, and it wasnt even done at every Zoo show.

Regarding The Fly, that is interesting. When did Edge say this? Bono had talked at the beginning of Elevation about how they had rediscovered the song and were enjoying it. From what I had heard on the third leg the only reason it was dropped was to make way for the 911 stuff they were doing. They didnt feel it fit with the tone of the show any longer either because of 911. But I never heard they didnt think it worked. That being said, if it wasnt played next tour I wouldnt have been surprised even despite what you are claiming Edge said. I was shocked it was done on Elevation.

Also, regarding a different post above about WOWY. I highly doubdt that song will ever be dropped completely from a tour. They may not play it every show, but it will be in rotation at some point.

Last edited:
Interesting list, the_acrobat. I agree for most part but I would add 11 O clock tick tock for the early years. (combined with OUC maybe) Electric Co possibly at times.

Agree on October and UF - Unforgettable fire and A sort of homecoming might both come back.

:shrug: Maybe two hearts will come back from War, I'm hoping for Seconds or Surrender but I'm not sure how realistic either one is.

Running to stand still, I wouldn't bet on anything else from JT except the regular first 4 songs off the album.

:shrug: Rattle and Hum is a mystery, apart from the regulars AOH, Desire and AIWIY they only played When love comes to town on Zoo TV. God part II or Hawkmoon for the new tour?

AB - agreed, but I don't think the Fly will be dropped entirely, it might be played on few occasions. Ultraviolet most likely to come back IMO.

Also Zooropa - unless they pull back Dirty day, which Bono also said he'd like to play again live.

POP - Discotheque, Gone and SATS will be kept, with additional Please. Perhaps Last night on earth will return for a few shows?

ATYCLB - Beautiful day, Stuck in a moment, and New York/Kite alternating are most likey IMO. In a little while occasionally?

I hope the bringing older songs to the set/rearranging 90's songs like they did on Elevation tour will continue!

Blue Room said:

Regarding The Fly, that is interesting. When did Edge say this?

Edge said that regarding the Fly's ommiting on the 90's Best of collection, he wasn't talking about it live.

Blue Room said:

But basically the response he did give tells me they have no intention of playing it.

That makes very little sense altogether. You're saying that because he expressed interest to a fan it means that he's more likely not to play it in the future?? The fan himself said he appeared "genuinely interested" in it so what you're saying seems a bit :eyebrow:

As someone said below, Edge's quote was in reference to the BEST OF. Here's what I (and he) said:

"it didn't survive the test of time"

Here's what you said I said:

But I never heard they didnt think it worked

What I said was nothing to do with the song live but this quote was widely interpreted as expressing the song in general. The way you phrased it, it does sounds like I said he said that it didn't work live, a totally different thing.

Last edited:
Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

That makes very little sense altogether. You're saying that because he expressed interest to a fan it means that he's more likely not to play it in the future?? The fan himself said he appeared "genuinely interested" in it so what you're saying seems a bit :eyebrow:

As someone said below, Edge's quote was in reference to the BEST OF. Here's what I (and he) said:

Here's what you said I said:

What I said was nothing to do with the song live but this quote was widely interpreted as expressing the song in general. The way you phrased it, it does sounds like I said he said that it didn't work live, a totally different thing.

???? LOL
No, you missed my point altogether. I have met Bono several times in several different settings myself. I have been around when fans have asked him similiar questions. Of course he seems interested??? Do you think he is going to tell a fan off or just flat out say no way, thats not his personality. What I was and am saying is that Bono has a habit of saying things to fans that he thinks they want to hear. So, when a fan asks about X song and he says, Yeah we would love to play that. I take it with a grain of salt. He has made similiar comments about other songs on past tours and those songs were never even rehearsed. So THAT was my point.

About what Edge said, I think you really took it out of context then in regards to this thread. He wasnt even referring to the song live. He was referring to the recorded version and in reference to re-releasing it on an album. Combine this with how different the Fly was live on Elevation from the recorded version and comments made by the band that they had rediscovered the song live, I dont think I would take that quote quite that literally and in this context. But each their own. I do agree though that it may not return but I wouldnt base it on that quote.

Like I said before, I would love it if any of these songs were played again including Ultraviolet. I just think it is highly unlikely. Those of you in Dublin, next time you run into Bono, ask him whether they have thought about playing Electric Co or Acrobat on the next tour. I bet you he would give you a similiar response and most likely neither will be played on the next tour. I would absolutely love it if I had to eat crow next year if they were played but I dont think I will be unfortunately. Anything is possible as I also said before, they did some songs on Elevation I would have never thought they would do, but even then they were not anything extremely radical like a non single song not done for years. At least nothing that wasnt done more than a one off thing for a special occassion.

Last edited:
david said:
I hope the next tour isn't a greatest hits tour + new songs.

It's not a greatest hits tour if their playing new songs. I want them to play their hits like Streets, The Fly, One, UTEOTW, Desire.... just like I want them to play a few obsure songs like Exit, Two Hearts, The Electric Co..... U2 would never do a Greatest hits tour with a new album out since they usually play most of the new songs live, just like Bruce. That's one of the reasons why I love them!!

Don't agree with the Fly being omitted in the future. when they played it during the elevation tour, it was awesome. In fact it was the highlight of the night at one of the concerts I went to.

Back
Top Bottom