Songs That Took Awhile To Get Used To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
When I first heard Stuck In A Moment a couple years ago, I didn't much care for it. However just in the last year or so, I've really grown to love this song. Especially the acoustic version.

What song did you not care for at first and then later on find yourself liking?

Miracle Drug didn't do it for me the first several listens...but now I definitely appreciate the power in the song.

I can probably list a half dozen more, but I'm lazy. :wink: A few on Boy, a few on Pop, and much of October. All of which, now, I love!

If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Kite
Running To Stand Still
Love is Blindness
Bad

New Years Day. Heard the Slane version, thought "this is crap", it's now pretty much my favorite version of the song...heh.

In a Little While :yes: and Original of the Species. Hated them when I first heard them, now I've grown to love them (though OOTS less so). Even Better Than the Real Thing took a long time to grow on me, I only liked it after hearing Popmart versions. Same with Ultraviolet and Zoo Station, and Until the End of the World. A lot of Achtung Baby, really. The Wanderer, Do You Feel Loved, Discotheque, When I Look at the World... I could go on forever!

Well I'm a picky cow so I hate pretty much 30% of all U2 stuff on first listen (Is this really the right place to admit that? :uhoh: ) before falling in love with about 95% of the stuff that I hated before. However, the major ones would be:

Stay (Hated it till I saw the video)
Out of Control (Slane converted me)
Love Is Blindness
Zoo Station (^Both of these were due to my impatience and my trigger happy skip finger. As soon as I bothered to listen to them fully I liked them)
Mofo (Come on, it was pretty :eyebrow: on first listen)
The Unforgettable Fire (I think the eightiesness of it put me off at first but now I consider its 80sness 'quaint' :wink: )
Seconds (I dunno what I was thinking either)

TheQuiet1 said:
Well I'm a picky cow so I hate pretty much 30% of all U2 stuff on first listen...

Stay (Hated it till I saw the video)

I was the same with SYCMIOYO - till I saw the video with Bono walking the streets of Dublin (isn't it?) in his hoodie (Pop-era style) looking mean and troubled - and cool.

That video gives the song real feeling.

Zoo Station - It's taken me 14 years to finally warm to this strange transition from The Joshua Tree!

Please - Disliked it (along with the rest of Pop) until I heard first the live performance from the MTV video awards, and then the single version. Now I can't live without it; in any version.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - I always liked the Temple Bar version, but very recently I've come around to the album version lead to it by rediscovering Zoo Station.

When I Look At The World & New York - Pretty much left buried in ATYCLB's B-Side until last year. It took relistening to New York live to make me come around to it.

Stateless - Never even gave this one much of a chance as I considered it too boring. But now with the A Side of ATYCLB and HTDAAB as a whole, I've gotten rock songs to keep me happy so I can go back and enjoy the slower stuff.

The Unforgettable Fire & Bad - The former I never game much of a chance until I heard it on the 80's best of. Bad I never cared for until I bought Wide Awake In America.

The B Side of War. Surrender, Like A Song, 2 Hearts... I bought War, Boy and October together after becoming a rabid fan during The Joshua Tree's height and never gave them much of a listen because they were too different from the Eno/Lanios releases. Now going back, I appreciate War's second half as much as anything they've ever done.

Last edited:
The first time I heard With or Without You, I was like :der: what is that? But, now I love it.

On a whole Zooropa...It is the album I listen to the least...but still like it.

Most definently hated LAPOE untill I heard it live :drool:

And I definently didn't like Promenade or Heartland the first time I heard both of them, but now theyre two of my favorites

Perhaps I should be ashamed to admit this, but I guess I might as will get it off my chest!

HTDAAB: I initially disliked all songs but Vertigo, Miracle Drug, COBL, and ABOY

ATYCLB: I only liked Beautiful Day at first:(

Pop: Liked most of it right away (except for Miami and the Playboy Mansion)

Zooropa: I liked pretty well all of this album after just a couple listens

Achtung Baby: Only liked One at first... took me about a month to love the whole album!

80s: I only liked With or Without You after the first few listens, and there weren't really any other 80s songs I was into.

But now I love most albums, though I'm still not into October, War, or Rattle and Hum. But just as I grew to love all the others, I'm sure I'll be into them soon enough!

The Unforgettable Fire, believe it or not. When I first got the Best Of 1980-1990 at age eleven, I loved all the tracks up to I Will Follow, then I'd usually just stop the CD and start again.

It wasn't for another 4-5 years or so that it suddenly dawned on me how brilliant UF is. I now rank it as the third best song of all time.

Same as Bono_212, LAPOE, till I heard it live. Great song with a lot of depth.

"If You Wear That Velvet Dress"

October took a week or two.

"Trip Through Your Wires" (which I'm still not a big fan of by any stretch)

"Heartland" (so sue me--I love them shits now)

"The First Time"

They've all got their own stories and they all took varying degrees of adjustment on my part. But the list is at least semi-valid. Good stuff. Good thread.

I'm totally surprised by how many songs I'm reading about from the last two albums and from The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. Amazing, to me.

phanan said:
Well, I'd say most of Pop. There was an adjustment period for me, and then I realized how brilliant it was.

That's how it was for me, too.

I also didn't realize how great Dirty Day and In A Little While were for a long time.

I can't believe that for the first few times i heard LAPOE, i hated it but now i :heart: it :rockon: :rockon:

I especially loved it when i watched Bono banging that drum right in front of me :faint: :combust:

Original of the Species, Elevation, Vertigo, In A Little While, Staring at the Sun, come to think of it...it took me a while to enjoy a lot of the last two albums

miami: had to hear a live version before i realized how cool it was. pop as a whole took me a few years to warm up to, but now i consider it one of my favorite albums.

red light: for years i would skip this song just because i thought i hated it. as it turns out, it's pretty catchy. :ohmy:

numb: it just weirded me out for a long time. took a lot of listens for me to appreciate it.

yahweh: at first the lyrics just bugged me too much to really enjoy it. it's grown on me though, and now i don't skip it like i used to. (i still skip vertigo and ABOY, though :wink:)

love and peace or else: again, just took it a while to grown on me.

Back
Top Bottom