Songs That Took Awhile To Get Used To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By Album~

Boy:
{An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart- I didn't enjoy these songs until i watched the performance of them on the Chicago DVD. Amazing songs that fit so well together.

October:
{October- I really hated the boringness of the track at first, because I'm sort of a fan of faster paced U2 and piano isn't really my fav, but after listening to the vocals more I liked it

War:
{None- All the songs I like or hate, I did from the start, none are growng

The Unforgettable Fire:
{A Sort Of Homecoming- I couldn't really get into the music at first, but the wide awake in america EP really changed my mind.
{The Unforgettable Fire- Same reason as above. The intro really dragged on for me, and it kinda bothered me. The chorus is kickass though and once the music actually picked up, I began to listen to it more and love it

The Joshua Tree:
{Trip Through Your Wires- Such an amazing song, and I let other peoples bias turn me off to it. I honestly hated the song before I listened to it all the way because of word of mouth, but I regret it because I think it's super catchy and fun to nod your head too :lol:
{Mothers Of the Disappeared- I hatedddd this song, and it made me sad because I wanted to like ALL the songs off my favorite album (just to show it's REALLY my favorite) and until I heard it live and listened to that kickass intro (almost sounds like electricity shocks) I loved it.

Rattle And Hum:
{All Along the Watchtower- I thought this song sucks but after listening to shredding solos at Point Depot, i appreciated it more.

Achtung Baby:
{None- All the songs I hate from that album (TTTYAATW,UV,LIB) I still hate. All the songs I love/like I did from the start

Zooropa:
{The Wanderer- Johnny Cash's vocals made me barf at the song, but I dont hate it anymore because U2 performed it a million times more barable for me.

Pop:
{Miami- Cheesy lyrics aside, I think just the coolness of the song made me like it after a while, I like when Bono yells, and I think live it's bitchin'

All That You Can't Leave Behind:
{When I Look At the World- Hearing this snippeted at the end of Bad while the chords were still being played was beautiful so I went back to check out the song and realized it wasn't as bad as I thought (and others had told me) it was. I really like the chorus, but Bono's voice sounded terrible on it. Now I don't mind so much.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb:
{Original Of the Species- Not a big fan of the whole piano as I said earlier, but this song grew on me more when I just sat and listened to the second half of the song, where I think it rules.

Last edited:
catlhere said:

Rattle And Hum:
{All Along the Watchtower- I thought this song sucks but after listening to shredding solos at Point Depot, i appreciated it more.

There are shredding solos during AATW live? :eyebrow:

I would sure like to hear that! :wink:

... all the songs after track 3 on the joshua tree

it was the second album I bought, after the 80s best of, and I was so disappointed with it I almost gave up on U2 altogether. It's grown on me since.

Deep In The Heart.

Didn't care much for it on first listen. Liked it a little on second. Loved it on 3rd. Now I'm addicted. :drool:

most U2 songs are like that

I think most U2 songs take a couple of times listening to them before I love the songs. Some classics like WOWY Streets and COBL I loved from the first time I heard them but most grow on me.

Good thread.

For me, the big one is Love and Peace or Else. I HATED it on first listen and skipped it regularly. But as soon as I listened to it and sung the lyrics along to it and concentrated on it, it grew on me. I tend to dismiss some songs without really listening to them, but when I concentrate they grow on me.

From Boy, Another Time, Another Place and Stories for Boys took me a while. I love them both now, Edge, Adam and Larry mesh so well together on both, but they were the only two (maybe with The Ocean) that took me a bit longer to get into.

Some others -
Surrender
Promenade
EPAA
MLK
One Tree Hill - this one took quite a while
Even Better Than the Real Thing - I still haven't phully got my head round this one something about it just bugs me (vocals i think)
So Cruel
Kite - the guitar at the start was a bit off-putting when I first heard it
New York

Elvis Presley And America. What a gem! I never really listened to song properly for 15 years, until last year when I started connecting with the song. What I thought was once the runt of the litter is now one of my most listened to songs. The lyrics seem rather incomprehensible, but the music and sound effects take me to another place.

I recommend everyone to really give this song a few good listens.

Running to Stand Still. I hated this song for longest time!! Or maybe hate is too stronger word!:eyebrow: It just wasn't one of my favourites. Until I heard and saw it played live at Stockholm 1993. It just suddenly struck me as to what a lovely, if tragic, and poignant song it is.

Electric Co. and Out Of Control - Never really considered listening to them that much, but this and the last tour has made me re-evaluate them and I they now rank amongst some of the best early U2 stuff in my opinion.

Zooropa - I knew this was a decent song, but hadn't listened to it for a while and then one day I fancied listening to the album and realised just how good this song was.

Running To Stand Still - After watching the ZOO TV rendition of this song and its fusion into Streets, I had to listen to it on the album again and realise how powerful it was.

Songs that I still can't get into include:

1. The Wanderer (one of the worst U2 songs ever, hate everything about it)
2. Stuck In A Moment (Coldplayish blandness, well below U2 standards and nothing special about it. Probably the most overrated U2 song ever)
3. Numb (Just don't like the whole arrangement or Edge's singing style)
4. The Playboy Mansion (Worst song on Pop and have no reason to listen to it)
5. All Because Of You (Bono's vocals are not quite there and it just seems like a poor attempt at revisiting the Rattle and Hum era)

Other notable mentions include Wake Up Dead Man, 4th of July, Elvis Presley and America, Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World, Dirty Day and Love Rescue Me

U2mixer said:

I was the same with SYCMIOYO - till I saw the video with Bono walking the streets of Dublin (isn't it?) in his hoodie (Pop-era style) looking mean and troubled - and cool.

That video gives the song real feeling.

It's weird isn't it because you'd think that the video shouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the song...but somehow it does :shrug:

Well, my first instinct is "Mysterious Ways". I never saw what was great till I discovered it on the Slane DVD. Now it is my most played U2 song.

As a few people have said, I don't think many U2 songs are immediate.

A list of songs I took a while to get into:

The Electric Co. - Chicago DVD Performance sealed the deal for me
Running To Stand Still - Hauntingly excellent
All I Want is You - don't much care for the studio version, but live it is great
Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World - I know other people hate it, but I think it has an innocent charm, plus I like B-Man's shouting on it live.
Do You Feel Loved - Lyrics are cool
When I Look at The World - Seemed initially filler material, but later on I could see the complexities in construction
Electrical Storm - Woefully dissapointing when I heard it on the radio, but then i grew to like it.
Vertigo - I was like "wtf?" Then I thought, this ROCKS!
City of Blinding Lights - Oh You Look So...

Songs I Still do not like:
Most of October
Most of R&H
I threw a Brick
So Cruel
Numb
Miami
Wild Honey
All Because of You
*many others*

lapoe, man and a woman, miracle drug, crumbs from your table, beautiful day. miss sarajevo, even better than the real thing , mysterious ways, kite

well, i remember not being too into Love and Peace or Else until I saw it live, too. powerful and amazing.

same for Miss Sarejevo.... the lyrics.. beautiful, musically.. beautiful as well, but something about it.. I just could not get into... ever since it first came out, until I saw it performed live... and it just totally hit me in a whole other way. now its one of my absolute favorites. (yeah... 11 years later, lol)

The Fly - i wasn't too sure what to think about it when i first heard it back then. a little bit of a shock to me... musically.
lyrically, i dont think i truly appreciated until now. now its one of my favorites.

last night on earth - dont ask me why.. but i used to not stand this song... now its one of my favorites.
i didnt care for the video either.. until recently. what the hell was my problem?

and Until the End of the World... not sure what that was about, but now its among my all-time top 5. :wink: i absolutely cant go a day without this song. LOL
its one of the greatest freekin songs ever written... and one of THE absolute greatest live songs.. ever. Period.

thats about it, really.

everything else, i fell in love with right away and still love them.
those that gave me goosebumps that first time, still do to this day. :)

Last edited:
Jack In The Box said:
Love and Peace or Else

That one, too. I couldn't stand the lyrics at first, but after I heard a few live versions I forgave the lyrics and learned to love the song as a whole. :love:

Back
Top Bottom