Songs that sound oddly like a U2 song...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe Desire = 1969 by The Stooges = Not Fade Away by Bo Diddly. :hmm:

but The Edge travelled back in time and created that riff for Bo Diddly.

edgedocod2.jpg

Keane is it any wonder? reminds me of Even better than the real thing, and Zoo Station, not that that's a bad thing :wink:

The Back Of Love by Echo & the Bunnymen sounds just like In God's Country...

Actually in this case the E&TBM song came out first, so I guess it's the other way around.

U2 did always list Echo as one of its major influences.

~A.j.~

fandangamoq said:
The Back Of Love by Echo & the Bunnymen sounds just like In God's Country...

Actually in this case the E&TBM song came out first, so I guess it's the other way around.

U2 did always list Echo as one of its major influences.

~A.j.~

Marry me. :drool: I don't particularly hear In God's Country in The Back Of Love, but a lot of U2's songs sound like Echo And The Bunnymen songs. (Not the other way around.)

The bass line in Indian Summer Sky is almost identical to the bass line in With A Hip (released three years earlier, for people who aren't familiar with the Bunnymen.) I have musical proof.

Code:
With A Hip
G|------------------------------|
D|------------------------------|
A|---7-------------7------------|
E|-0---8---10---0----8---10-----|

Indian Summer Sky
A|---7---7775-(x 2)-------------|
E|-----0-------------8---10-----|

Only difference is that Adam holds the E note (tabbed 7 on A string) for a bar longer and throws in a very subtle D note. You can play the With A Hip bass line over Indian Summer Sky and it synchronises perfectly.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

a lot of U2's songs sound like Echo And The Bunnymen songs. (Not the other way around.)

:up:

I bought The Bunnymen's greatest hits album the other day. :drool: The albums are so hard to come by here...HMV is now officially out after my visit. :(

There is no doubt about their influence on U2, but also on other bands, as well. I don't think people realise just how great these guys were, and still are. They're dark, different, and completely original. It's a mystery as to why they aren't bigger, or more popular, but that just adds to their charm in a way when you eventually do listen.

I think it's All That Jazz that really reminds me of Exit. I'm too lazy to go to the car to get the CD and confirm the title, but one song definitely has heavy Exit vibes.

angelordevil said:

:up:

I bought The Bunnymen's greatest hits album the other day. :drool: The albums are so hard to come by here...HMV is now officially out after my visit. :(

There is no doubt about their influence on U2, but also on other bands, as well. I don't think people realise just how great these guys were, and still are. They're dark, different, and completely original. It's a mystery as to why they aren't bigger, or more popular, but that just adds to their charm in a way when you eventually do listen.

I think it's All That Jazz that really reminds me of Exit. I'm too lazy to go to the car to get the CD and confirm the title, but one song definitely has heavy Exit vibes.

Songs To Learn And Sing? If so, that's a good one because it includes The Puppet. And yes! What is it with St. John's CD shops and their lack of love for the Bunnymen?! I've been to HMV lots of times, no dice. Not even that one at the top of Avalon Mall by Mr. Sub (what's it called again, CDPlus?) In fact, I've only found one Bunnymen album in St. John's, and that was Siberia at the Village Mall. Everything else I've had to buy on iTunes.

I can't understand why they were never bigger either. Heaven Up Here and Ocean Rain are absolutely brilliant. Crocodiles, Porcupine and (to a lesser extent) the self-titled album are wonderful too. I think they possibly suffered from not having enough radio friendly material, particularly in the early days. If you compare their singles between 1980-1984 to U2's singles in that time frame, U2 did better despite the fact that the two bands sounded so similar. It's no wonder that Ian McCulloch used to hate Bono with a passion!

Have you heard Evergreen yet? If not, it's up on that super secret link I posted in another thread for you. :shifty: It's kind of astounding how much it sounds like latter-day U2. Especially considering that it was released in 1997. Even the Stuck In A Moment chimey sounds are there at the beginning of Nothing Lasts Forever. :( It still sounds decidedly "Bunnymen" though. They tried to recapture a bit of their 80s sound after experimenting with grunge and electronic rock in the early-mid 90s under a different name...

We should rename this thread "Echo & The Bunnymen Songs That Sound Oddly Like U2..."

I always get a very All My Colours vibe from Elvis Presley and America....dunno.

Not sure how you missed the Back Of Love = In God's Country...the riff is almost identical. Maybe its just me, but I thought it stood out instantly.

I also notice enormous gaps in "retail chain" music catalog's. HMV, while being one of the better one's, is still pretty bad. It's so unfortunate that the great indy stores are driven out by the others....(yadda yadda yadda corperate monster ousting the little guy yadda). Here in Ontario, I find the best solution is to just make a list and head up to TO to Sam the Record Man :drool:

Pure musical bliss....I met Karina Heuber (MMMusic VJ) there while watching a jazz band one night...a little surreal and also very awesome (she's extremely attractive, moreso in person)

Mmmm...Sam the Record Man

~A.j.~

fandangamoq said:
We should rename this thread "Echo & The Bunnymen Songs That Sound Oddly Like U2..."

I always get a very All My Colours vibe from Elvis Presley and America....dunno.

Not sure how you missed the Back Of Love = In God's Country...the riff is almost identical. Maybe its just me, but I thought it stood out instantly.

I also notice enormous gaps in "retail chain" music catalog's. HMV, while being one of the better one's, is still pretty bad. It's so unfortunate that the great indy stores are driven out by the others....(yadda yadda yadda corperate monster ousting the little guy yadda). Here in Ontario, I find the best solution is to just make a list and head up to TO to Sam the Record Man :drool:

Pure musical bliss....I met Karina Heuber (MMMusic VJ) there while watching a jazz band one night...a little surreal and also very awesome (she's extremely attractive, moreso in person)

Mmmm...Sam the Record Man

~A.j.~

On closer inspection, I have to take back what I said about the In God's Country/Back Of Love connection. :ohmy: The guitar chords in the main riff are the same. However, I was focussing a little bit too much on the different rhythm of the guitars...when I should have been listening to the bass lines. Same bass notes in the verses. Same bloody notes!

This is kind of fun, I'm going to look for more. :wink: I swear I've heard the "Rescue" guitar riff in a U2 song somewhere.

Unfortunately, I don't know of too many indy music stores in Newfoundland. It's a shame. I'm sure some exist, but I haven't heard of any of them.

EDIT: Oh, and All My Colours kind of reminds me of the beginning of Tomorrow. I guess just because of the moody singing and that whistle sound. All My Colours is incredible.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

Have you heard Evergreen yet? If not, it's up on that super secret link I posted in another thread for you. :shifty:

Supersecret links :drool: I'll definitely get to that in the morning, or later in the day...damn work! And damn sleep.

The album I bought was Ballyhoo. I listened to it about 4 times on the way to the West Coast to see my sick Grandmother last Friday. It made the trip much more tolerable, and it was my first Bunnymen listening experience in the car. The album is probably a better introduction to the group rather than a definitive collection, but I still love it. I want to get my hands on even more stuff now that I have the bug...or Bedbug :wink:

Thanks again for the link! :)

fandangamoq said:

We should! :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

Unfortunately, I don't know of too many indy music stores in Newfoundland. It's a shame. I'm sure some exist, but I haven't heard of any of them.

EDIT: Oh, and All My Colours kind of reminds me of the beginning of Tomorrow. I guess just because of the moody singing and that whistle sound. All My Colours is incredible.

I love the atmosphere of that song :drool:

In terms of indy shops, Fred's Records on Duckworth Street is the place. But, they had no Bunnymen stuff at all, which surprised me. Overall, however, I think you'd really like that store. The workers there are usually very knowledgeable and helpful.

Always thought The Cult "She Sells Sanctuary" sounded like U2. And most of the singing on VAST'S "Music For People" album sounds eerily Bonoish.

Aygo said:
Look at WOWY and his similarities with Bowie's "Heroes" in the drums/percursion and the synths it almost match.

I've always wanted U2 to do a snippet of "Heroes" at the end of With Or Without You...

GibsonGirl said:

Marry me. :drool: I don't particularly hear In God's Country in The Back Of Love, but a lot of U2's songs sound like Echo And The Bunnymen songs. (Not the other way around.)

The bass line in Indian Summer Sky is almost identical to the bass line in With A Hip (released three years earlier, for people who aren't familiar with the Bunnymen.) I have musical proof.

Code:
With A Hip
A|---7-------------7------------|
E|-0---8---10---0----8---10-----|

Indian Summer Sky
A|---7---7775-(x 2)-------------|
E|-----0-------------8---10-----|

Only difference is that Adam holds the E note (tabbed 7 on A string) for a bar longer and throws in a very subtle D note. You can play the With A Hip bass line over Indian Summer Sky and it synchronises perfectly.

:huh:

Er, I tried transcribing that into standard notation, from the tabs is it the same?

Synchronises = identical?

With a Hip starts out with an open E.

--O------------------------------O-----------------

Indian Summer Sky starts off as a mid E.

--------O----------------------------------

I have a bass clef notation chart in a book right next to me, shows where different notes are on a bass, that's how I transcribed it from the tabs.

I know U2 weren't the first to do many things, but to claim plagarism, I've gotta see the evidence for myself. I don't see it.

Perhaps I have a very simple view of it, probably something deeper going on, but I just read from sheet music if it's at all possible. Is it a progression of the songs' notes? Pattern?

I could sorta hear the Tom Petty, Chili Peppers thing, but then you find out the Chili Peppers were listening to Lynrd Skynrd, and now I hear some of that in the Tom Petty song.

:huh: nothing is new under the sun.

//////////////////////////////

On a side note, it's really difficult to find U2 sheet music, that includes the basslines. Found one that was exactly what I was looking for, another on back order.

Out of print=gaining value perhaps?

Definitely going to keep them in as best shape as possible.

Last edited:
Why are you giving me a 'huh' smiley? Those two bass lines use the exact same notes (excluding the tiny little variation Adam throws in.) You haven't actually heard "With A Hip" have you? The moment I heard that song, I thought of Indian Summer Sky because it was so obvious. The C note and the D note are played IDENTICALLY. As I said, the only difference is that Adam holds that E note for a bit longer. The With A Hip bass line is like a shortened version of the Indian Summer Sky bass line.

http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=19CF33660B99EAAA

Is this proof enough? On the left channel I recorded myself playing With A Hip, on the right Indian Summer Sky. As you'll see, once we get past Adam's extended E, it matches perfectly with Les' line. You can play With A Hip over Indian Summer Sky and vice versa without it sounding terribly different. They're not identical but they are very, very close and it's not the first time that U2 have sounded curiously similar to Echo And The Bunnymen.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
The With A Hip bass line is like a shortened version of the Indian Summer Sky bass line.

Hmmm - they do sound alike.
No narration on this one though :(.

bono_man2002 said:

Its true, I mean, you listen to U2! :wink:

Your taste must suck more - your screen name implies you're actually IN U2! :wink:

GibsonGirl said:
Why are you giving me a 'huh' smiley? Those two bass lines use the exact same notes (excluding the tiny little variation Adam throws in.) You haven't actually heard "With A Hip" have you? The moment I heard that song, I thought of Indian Summer Sky because it was so obvious. The C note and the D note are played IDENTICALLY. As I said, the only difference is that Adam holds that E note for a bit longer. The With A Hip bass line is like a shortened version of the Indian Summer Sky bass line.

Is this proof enough? On the left channel I recorded myself playing With A Hip, on the right Indian Summer Sky. As you'll see, once we get past Adam's extended E, it matches perfectly with Les' line. You can play With A Hip over Indian Summer Sky and vice versa without it sounding terribly different. They're not identical but they are very, very close and it's not the first time that U2 have sounded curiously similar to Echo And The Bunnymen.

They cite them as influences, but I doubt Adam consciously started playing the bass lines to "With a Hip." I find Adam's bass line a little more driven.

These parts your playing are based off tabs though, I mean, with the nature tablature, being open to interpretation. I tried looking at a few bass tab sites for both songs and I couldn't find any, well I gave up after 8 pages on google.

The extended E is enough to make it different. I'm not really convinced other than a subtle few notes. Your own tab shows the opening note is different, one starts at open E, the other at a higher E. How is that the same note?

Then there's like 2 notes in the same sequence, the 8th fret on the E string and the 10th fret at the E string.

I listened to both the actual songs, back and forth, only 30 seconds of "With a Hip," but I didn't hear it being the same bass line.

"No Brakes" by the Bravery has a bassline a little bit similar to "New Year's Day," but it's enough difference to not be copying.

I like the Chili Peppers too and I had to listen for myself when I heard their song Dani California can be played over Mary Jane's Last Dance, other than basing it on that mp3 that was made to prove it. It can, sorta, if you stretch your hearing a bit.

I'm not gonna argue this any further, if I find sheet music to prove it, I'll believe it.

I'm not as convinced by tabs as I am by published sheet music. No offense.

Considering every song gets published by some record company, if the basslines were the same, or similar enough, Echo and the Bunnymen's bassist could've sued, or issued cease and desist from having that song on Unforgettable Fire. Either they didn't care to persue that, or the basslines were different enough to not be plagarism. "Send in the Clouds" snippet had to be removed from Under a Blood Red Sky at the time. So Echo had the influence at the time, to do something if they felt they were being ripped off. U2 were still and up and coming band at the time.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, U2 sucks, I'm gonna go listen to some Radiohead, they've never copied anyone. Then some Led Zeppelin, cos they invented synthesisers. Then the Beatles because they were the first to sing about girls.

Chris Martin invented the piano, why do you think he nearly makes love to it in videos?

Back
Top Bottom