Songs that have made you cry . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstlove

The Fly
What U2 songs have made you cry (for any reason), and I mean physical tears . . .
for me:
Van Diemen's (I'm not sure about the spelling) Land just makes me cry SO MUCH! I think it's because I picture the song to be about someone committing suicide, and abandoning someone they love.
Wake Up Dead Man is just a cry to God, and I find it too hard not to cry myself.

Well, not really cry, but the first few times I heard Sometimes you can't make it on your own - from the second "listen to me now..." part on I would get teary.

Streets... It starts the moment The Edge's guitar starts up. All the hairs on my neck stand up and I'm off. It happens every time.

One..... because of a girl I used to love so much and it was the first slow that we had with eachother.....

Walk to the water....... because it is so intense and perfect to me.

But many make me feel great and lively and powerful and happy!!!!

First time I heard Until the End of the World live, during the Elevation tour--I got misty eyes.

Streets -- I also get the hair standing up on my arms, back of my neck, and goosebumps as soon as I hear that guitar ... Walk On because it held me together during my mother's death, SYCMIOYO also from the first "listen to me now" ... sometimes other songs, just because of where my life is at the moment.

"Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own", for sure. As well as "Kite" (was watching the Slane Castle performance of that song this past weekend...:sad:...), "If God Will Send His Angels", and "Peace On Earth". Also, "MLK" hasn't actually made me cry, but I remember one time I was listening to it and I got a lump in my throat.

And when "One" was being performed at that 46664 concert last year, I got all teary-eyed with that one, too (which is weird, 'cause the song's never made me cry before).

Angela

sometimes you cant make it on youre own makes my cry buckets, my mum died last tuesday, and that's all i'm playing at the moment:(

It started with "Tomorrow" that song always get's to me. also Heartland, Red Hill Mining town/One Tree Hill. Who's gonna ride your wild horses and so cruel.. even acrobat and Please have induced tears at one time or another... and One on the Slane DVD, the end of the song especially Kite & Stuck if you can believe that. When I first bought the ATYCLB cd, it was personally an emotional time for me, so a good deal of that album has been known to bring me to tears.
This album it's Sometimes.. and for some reason Original of the Species & Crumbs for obvious reasons. I'm not a cry baby, but damn - this band just brings out my emotional side. Ok, I'll admit it, I can be a cry baby. but it's U2 fault. :wink:

Running to Stand Still
Miss Sarajevo
Streets
Kite (my parents divorced, badly, soon after ATYCLB came out. This song was everything I wished they said to each other as goodbye, instead of hostility and resentment)
One (live)
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own

I cried the first time I heard Bad live.

I cried the first time I heard One on Hasta La Vista, "I've come here for forgiveness, Cause I can't raise the dead."

And the movie field of dreams makes me cry like I got kicked.....

No songs really make me cry, though many touch me or make me feel sad. U2 have a fair number. I was watching the Rattle & Hum DVD yesterday when the Sunday Bloody Sunday version came on, with Bono's emotive speech. The whole song really touched me, I can't describe in what way, it was just how Bono was really singing his heart out, the peak of it when he cries "No more!". It was the first time in a long while I'd ever been so effected by a piece of music.

Other U2 songs that, if in the right mood, can really touch me:

Pride
One
Beautiful Day
The Unforgettable Fire
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Where The Streets Have No Name

bonosbaby25 said:
sometimes you cant make it on youre own makes my cry buckets, my mum died last tuesday, and that's all i'm playing at the moment:(

I'm sorry :hug: It happened to me 2 months ago. I guess you have to go through it to feel what Bono feels in this song. :sad: Neutral :hug:

OK. Here goes...

- I Fall down
- Bad
- With Or Without You
- One (sometimes)
- Walk To The Water
- 4th Of July (don't ask!)
- One Tree Hill (from the 1980-1990 video - R&H outtake)
- Running To Stand Still
- All I Want Is You
- Streets (live, during the intro)

I think that's enough (for now)!! :wink:

Sometimes You Can't Make It On You Own :

This is like exactly what I try to tell my best friend. He keeps getting deeper and deeper in a hole, wasting himself away, and he won't let anyone help him. The part that really gets me is
"I know that we don’t talk
I’m sick of it all
Can - you - hear - me – when – I -
Sing, you’re the reason I sing"

One - it's so lovely. It can apply to every relationship with everyone. "we hurt each other and we'll do it again"

Stuck In A Moment:
"I never thought you were a fool, but darlin look at you"
This applies to the same friend who STYCMIOYO applies to.

AcrobatMan said:
SYCMIOYO

it wasnt a cry..but a very very numb feeling !!!
and your throat get that "cry without weeping" thing..

dont know how to express it in english..

your throat gets tight

sorry bout your mom bono's baby-
make sure you listen to some songs that make you happy too
ok hon?

- i posted without reading the whole thread. sorry to all of you guys who have lost parents
I guess they put out sometimes just in time

*hugs* - I just lost my gramma like a little over a month ago...but thats not the same s losing a parent

Last edited:
Oh dear

In the months after my brother died in early 88, The Joshua Tree was my nearly constant companion -- so I'd have to say just about every song on that album brought me to tears.

Back
Top Bottom