Songs that Bono would have trouble singing these days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Lemon (perhaps his biggest risk at the time)
Red Hill Mining Town
The Unforgettable Fire

Songs that may soon face the same setback;

1. One
2. With Or Without You
3. Pride

Although, recently listening to "With Or Without You" from Sao Paulo, Bono had no trouble at all hitting the falsettos...

BONO CAN SING ANYTHING, HAVEN'T YOU HEARD "MISS SARAJEVO"?!?!?!?1

bono sounds the best he has since the Zoo days, the sao paulo concert is the best i have heard him this tour

KUEFC09U2 said:
bono sounds the best he has since the Zoo days, the sao paulo concert is the best i have heard him this tour

He sounded incredible during With Or Without You

I would agree with Red Hill Mining Town and The Unforgettable Fire....

As for Lemon, it is definitely NOT as hard to sing here as people always like to think. It's sung in falsetto, which for someone with any singing talent isn't very difficult.

Miss Sarajevo--impressive, but not nearly as impressive as a lot of people here say. Boost up the treble, reverb and delay and you can magically make someone sound much more operatic. Don't believe me? Listen to 80's versions of "October" when it segues into New Year's Day.

Last edited:
theu2fly said:

Red Hill Mining Town
The Unforgettable Fire
He's always had a little difficulty with these, one of the reasons RHMT was dropped as a single.

theu2fly said:

1. One
2. With Or Without You
3. Pride

Although, recently listening to "With Or Without You" from Sao Paulo, Bono had no trouble at all hitting the falsettos...

One:huh: nothing in that song comes even close to challenging his range. I just think he's sang it so much that's he's losing his passion for it.

WOWY: No problem

Pride: He's never been able to sing it live like it is on the album.

Lemon, are you kidding? It's all in falsetto, he could easily do it.

Again: Any singer with an average voice can sing in a good falsetto. In falsetto you only use half of your vocal chords, so that's not much the effort.

And I think that they didn't play RHMT because they didn't want to. The notes thing was not a problem. they could easily take the song and play it in a lower key, and Bono could sing it. And, there must have other songs where Bono sings even higher...

Aygo said:
And I think that they didn't play RHMT because they didn't want to. The notes thing was not a problem. they could easily take the song and play it in a lower key, and Bono could sing it. And, there must have other songs where Bono sings even higher...

They did want to play it and had every intention of playing it in Tempe to film for the colour part of RAH, but the reason given for why it didn't work out is because Bono couldn't sing it.

Same reason why the plan to release it as JT's second single was scrapped. They didn't want to release a song Bono couldn't sing nightly.

Axver said:

They did want to play it and had every intention of playing it in Tempe to film for the colour part of RAH, but the reason given for why it didn't work out is because Bono couldn't sing it.

Same reason why the plan to release it as JT's second single was scrapped. They didn't want to release a song Bono couldn't sing nightly.

That's not a reason to justify what I said. I was just telling that the key in which the song is on studio could be lower live and then Bono could sing it, the song could be played live and filmed then. EBTTRT was played too in a different (sightly higher live) key, for example. The same for One (one note higher live, for example), Stay (lower live) and Pride (idem)... just to mention few...

i have a telent in singing and lemon's falsetto is really high pitched. i dont think he could do it. not like the record anyway.

Yeah. t8thgr8 is right (although we know he doesnt have a telent in spelling LOL, j/k) I can sing pretty good and I can sing really high in Falsetto. (I can sing just below the high Bb (i believe thats what note it is :|) in Bohemian Rhapsody (the one that Roger Taylor nails) in the falsetto but I have 'trouble' singing Lemon. Not because of the notes but how do them right.

Lemon is a very delicate and pretty falsetto and that high it is hard to do it justice. Bono definately did it on Zoo TV but I dunno if he can anymore. I know he could for sure hit the notes (I would imagine he can) but its just if he can do it as beautiful as he did back on ZooTV that would worry me. But I wouldn't put it past him!

As for songs Bono can't do ANYMORE... I dont think there is many he couldn't do... he seems pretty damn good and he just works with the song or gets The Edge to pull up his mighty voice to do stuff... but than again the subject is Bono...

I wish I had that Sao Paulo concert... can someone PLEASe hook me up with it !!!

ImOuttaControl said:

Miss Sarajevo--impressive, but not nearly as impressive as a lot of people here say. Boost up the treble, reverb and delay and you can magically make someone sound much more operatic. Don't believe me? Listen to 80's versions of "October" when it segues into New Year's Day.

Boosting up the treble, reverb and delay won't help you hold a note. What he does in MS is fairly technical singing---going from a 'pop' vocal to a more controled opera voice. Bono is a darn good tenor.

and i dont quite understand the post about falsetto being easier because you only use half of your vocal chords. If thats the case then how come i can sing song after song with no fatigue but my neck is sore 5 minutes into lemon with that burn you get in your muscles after a good workout.

If its only half then it doesnt really make a dfference because it takes alot of energy to pull them tight like that to make that sound.

t8thgr8 said:
and i dont quite understand the post about falsetto being easier because you only use half of your vocal chords. If thats the case then how come i can sing song after song with no fatigue but my neck is sore 5 minutes into lemon with that burn you get in your muscles after a good workout.

Not properly doing it. This is the problem with most non trained singers is an improper falsetto can really tear your throat up if sung incorrectly. You still need to sing from the diaphram when singing a falsetto, so many singers don't.

I think Sting is somewhat right in saying that Lemon is difficult because it's all about the control of the falsetto. I guarantee you Bono could sing it in the studio again. I don't think Bono has "lost" his falsetto, he's just lost some of the control due to being slighty fatique. Just the slight bit of being winded can really make a falsetto difficult.

Studio songs are just that: studio. By this, I mean that songs we hear on albums are the results of MANY takes and subjected to studio "magic".

If you can, listen to the CD single for "Pride". The CD single version has an extra insert of the chorus. But this extra chorus verse was not subjected to studio tampering - it's Bono raw. And as a result, the vocal is hoarse and not quite as powerful. Sure, Bono still hits the notes, but it's not like the rest of the song.

And this is true for any singer. In the studio, a singer can re-do that missed note, or hoarse voice, or falsetto or whatever.

In concert, though, note that Bono has never sung "Pride" the way he does on UF - not even in the UF tour. It would be nearly impossible for him to belt out those notes night after night.

So to say that Bono couldn't sing some of these songs live isn't really accurate, because he rarely sings as he does on an album. And this was true even in the "glory days" (if you will) of his voice. Bono did not scream out "God Part II" night after night on the LoveTown tour, not like he does on the album. He does not do hit the same notes in the operatic wailing near the end of WoWY in concert as he does on the album.

Now, there are a few times when I thought a concert performance was better than the album - where Bono truly outshined his album vocal performances. But to do this every night would really ruin his voice. Far better for him to leave his vocal acrobats to the album than to ruin them in a one shot concert performance where most fans can't hear him that clearly anyway.

doubleU said:

Not properly doing it. This is the problem with most non trained singers is an improper falsetto can really tear your throat up if sung incorrectly. You still need to sing from the diaphram when singing a falsetto, so many singers don't.

I think Sting is somewhat right in saying that Lemon is difficult because it's all about the control of the falsetto. I guarantee you Bono could sing it in the studio again. I don't think Bono has "lost" his falsetto, he's just lost some of the control due to being slighty fatique. Just the slight bit of being winded can really make a falsetto difficult.

Exactily!

partygirl43 said:

Boosting up the treble, reverb and delay won't help you hold a note.

Yes it certainly does. The treble makes the high note sound more crisp, the reverb and delay covers up tons of flaws and makes the singing sound much more "smoothe"---which makes it MUCH easier to hold the note.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:

Yes it certainly does. The treble makes the high note sound more crisp, the reverb and delay covers up tons of flaws and makes the singing sound much more "smoothe"---which makes it MUCH easier to hold the note.

Ok..Ok...but it won't help you HIT the note...maybe thats what I was looking to say....

Back
Top Bottom