Songs that are better in-studio than live!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
i know this will be slim pickings, but what songs are better in studio than live?

i'm tempted to say New Year's Day, since the album version is perfection, but the live version has great energy too.

I thought it was cool that they played Zooropa live, but it didn't have the same kick as it did in studio

If 40 wasn't so cool live, Edge playing bass and Adam playing gutiar, and if it wasn't the best closing song ever in the history of music, then the studio version would be better, because it's just so cool with the acoustic guitar and all.

hmmm....that's all i can think of right now :huh: . ill try to think this one over some more

"Mofo". Not that U2 played it badly on tour, but that song is jaw-dropping on the album. It's a great headphones song.

It's hard to pick. The studio work is the real art. That's why I love them. Live is the energy. As Billy Corgan says "When you play live, a bad note just disappears, but on a record you have the weight of permanence on you."

I'd say:

Where the Streets Have No Name
Until the End of the World
Bad
Bullet the Blue Sky
Mysterious Ways
Please

What the heck is the band thinking when they play these live?

shart1780 said:
I'd say:

Where the Streets Have No Name
Until the End of the World
Bad
Bullet the Blue Sky
Mysterious Ways
Please

What the heck is the band thinking when they play these live?

lol

intedomine said:

Interesting because I really don't like the studio (or at least the original for "Gone") all that much for either. Live, "One" is probably damn near my favorite U2 song. I realize how good it is in the studio, though. Just doesn't hold a candle. Maybe if they'd recorded the coda on the studio version...

After watching ZOO TV live fom Sydney, I would have to say Numb and Lemon are better in-studio than live.

Angel of Harlem
With or Without You
I Still Haven't Found
Stuck in the Moment

To me the live versions of those never really match the richness of the studio recordings.

And although I would never ever want to see it retired in concerts, if only for that heavenly opening, I gotta say that I much prefer Streets on album.

I think Stuck live benefits from the greater emphasis on Edge's guitar work, especially after the first chorus.

The gospel versions of ISHFWILF are brilliant, too.

I only agree with you on WOWY post Lovetown.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I think Stuck live benefits from the greater emphasis on Edge's guitar work, especially after the first chorus.

I never listen to the album version anymore, strictly bootlegs. It was too poppy for me, the live version gave it more soul and blues...

I barely listen to albums any more because U2 songs take on such a brilliant life live and rise to amazing levels that make the studio work look somewhat weak sometimes.

I only have two criticisms.

1. The ATYCLB songs didn't seem to seriously transform live and grow into something superior with the exceptions of Walk On and Kite.

2. Pride. If you listen to this live and compare it to the studio version, it's poor. I can only name two performances of Pride that are better than the studio version. However, lately, I have learnt to listen to live Pride as a different song and it is fantastic.

To the person who said WOWY was better in the studio - have you seen Rattle And Hum?

Oh, and if anything seriously suggests Exit was better in the studio, I will ... hit them with ... something unpleasant.

Axver, I agree with you 100% on the matter of Pride, but I totally disagree on ATYCLB live songs. I think they've come to life on the tour. Especially Elevation, Beautiful Day, Walk On and Kite.
New York was in some versions superior to the studio versions, but mostly it wasn't any more superior.

Ok... first off Please Live from popmart was great.
But it was even better acoustic during elevation. Secondly I think Do you feel love is better in the studio then live along with If God will send his angels.

The Unforgettable Fire was a good live track, but it never reached that all beautiful pinnacle that is the studio track. Probably the same to a lesser extent is A Sort of Homecoming. This is another good live track, but it never manifested itself like the way Bad did played live.

Until the acoustic version of Stay (live in Toronto), I had yet to hear a live version that matched the studio version emotionally. Just goes to show people that U2 are still a brilliant live band.

In A Little While
Do You Feel Loved
Ground Beneath Her Feet
Even Better than the Real Thing
Staring at the Sun
Pride
Numb
I Still Havn't Found What I'm Looking For
Silver and Gold
Wake Up Dead Man

These are the only ones I can think of right now.

Pride, HMTMKMKM, Staring at the sun, Lemon, Numb, Stay, With or without you, Do you feel love, In a little while, All I want is you, New Year's Day, 40, EBTTRT, One, Mysterious Ways, ISHFWILF.............

Back
Top Bottom