Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grateful for your graciousness
(- the 29th B-platitude)

Selfishly, I just want to hear people’s thoughts and not live with this on my own.

I’m a bit split. Kind of deflated by how plain they are, but there are moments of brilliance. And I am reminded that we often hear 20 second clips of songs and build them up or down and the final thing is so different. There is serious potential here, but you have to get over the hurdle that it is U2 predominantly acoustic, and I’m not sure I am there yet.

On an interesting note, this is how they could have done their mtv unplugged.

Initial thoughts:

It seems a lot more acoustic than I thought it would be - pretty much every song seems to have acoustic guitar at it's core (I know that's what it was always generally going to be, but the rumours were that not every song would be acoustic).

Having said that, given most songs only feature the intro, and have clearly edited/isolated parts (especially Bono's vocals), I almost wonder if the edits we get on SoS won't be quite as acoustic? Streets was reported to sound v similar to the original in composition, and was apparently sent to DJs to remix, for example.

I've never normally been a fan of acoustic U2, but it feels like a lot of heart went into these recordings, and the production sounds very lush, especially when the bass, drums, backing vocals come in. I'm really enjoying it for what it is, and as something to tide us over until the next album.

Streets sounds incredible. I also think I can hear Brian Eno in the backing vocals for One - wonder if he came back to work on this album?

There are a handful of songs that use the original recordings - perhaps they hadn't finished these before recording the audiobook?

I’m a bit split. Kind of deflated by how plain they are, but there are moments of brilliance. And I am reminded that we often hear 20 second clips of songs and build them up or down and the final thing is so different. There is serious potential here, but you have to get over the hurdle that it is U2 predominantly acoustic, and I’m not sure I am there yet.

That's exactly where I am too. I'm certainly looking forward to hearing the complete thing, even if the acoustic / "plain" nature doesn't do anything for me and I never listen to any of it again. After listening to what you sent, the ones that intrigued me the most are Stories For Boys, Bad, Two Hearts Beat As One, and Moment of Surrender.

Thank you Dan. The heart of the beach clips lives on! Invisible, Wild Horses and City Of Blinding Lights sound like they will be gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing!
Looks like Larry is rarely on board. Surely there are some interesting cuts. But it's acoustic after all. Not very excited about this project. Edge has bought himself a new acoustic 8 string guitar. Stories for boys, Beautiful day, Moment of Surrender and Streets stand out. I will follow disappoints, just as Bad WOWY and Invisible do....It looks like they took the strength and the spirit out of the songs. They should release it as a Bono-album, not u2.
Hopefully I don't fall asleep by listening to these four discs... but hey... maybe it isn't as bad at all with the complete songs.
Bring on this Rock 'n roll album as soon as possible!

I thought it would be more full on reworkings rather than just acoustic. Having said I was almost certain that a few songs would be more to my taste than the original versions I’d have to take that back even with only the brief bits of each song that’s available just now. Still interesting but not what I thought it might be. Thanks for sharing though Dan.

GOOYOW is…. Interesting.

Stories for boys is the one I am excited to hear more of now.
Interesting is a very polite way of putting it, I can think of other words lol. Stories for boys is definitely one I’m keen to hear more of. I like what I’ve heard of city of blinding lights as well, miracle drug should work nicely acoustic too. 40 sounds very good.

Last edited:
I like U2 acoustic so I’m excited for this one. And Bono is sounding pretty good. Is it lame that I’m excited for acoustic studio recordings of Stuck and Ordinary Love? [emoji28]

On a different (but related?) note, if Bono's story is to believed the band is together in NYC today, celebrating Larry's birthday.

They don't seem to hang out/be seen hanging out together these days except for special occasions or recording, so I'm guessing they might currently be working on the next album.

(The video is also quite sweet - happy birthday Larry!)

On a different (but related?) note, if Bono's story is to believed the band is together in NYC today, celebrating Larry's birthday.

They don't seem to hang out/be seen hanging out together these days except for special occasions or recording, so I'm guessing they might currently be working on the next album.

Thx for sharing, that was really funny if true.

First listen through the clips.. standouts I want to hear more of, right away

- Two Hearts Beat as One
- Stories for Boys
- Streets
- Still Haven't Found
- One
- Moment of Surrender

I love how he mentions people being dressed up as the Village People; too bad Larry didn’t get to reprise his Grumpy Cowboy costume for the 25th anniversary of Pop.

Interesting that they're all together and in New York. Maybe Colbert will have a surprise this week.

I really like what I’m hearing. Acoustic is great if done right and by the sounds of this, it’s done right.

Curious what’s going to come of the songs that aren’t reworked on the book.

Thanks for sharing Dan!! You know I was reading how these are all acoustic and was like oh no! I am not a fan of U2’s acoustic songs in general but I was very pleasantly surprised by these clips! They do seem like they are really well done! Now I’m actually excited by this! Stories for boys sounds amazing. Almost has a Peter Gabriel song vive to it. Some other very interesting ones in there for sure!

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I just listened to all of the clips.

From what I gather? Some of these songs I'm going to love, most will be good, some will be meh, one or two will be crap.

Overall? I think it's going to be a very welcome addition to their discography and a nice change of pace.

I'm excited for this album.

Also side note? Bono can read the shit out of some credits.

I've already purchased a physical copy and the digital copy, but this is making me absolutely want the audio book as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom