Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2 have had short periods where one couldn’t make it, and they didn’t play gigs during those times. They moved the tour dates. There’s no reason to think they’d operate differently now. Sure, they’re older. But they’re healthy men (busted Larry aside) - it’s not like death is chasing them down.

Addendum to my earlier post:

U2 played one full show without Adam. Once. And it was a turning point for him. The Bono-less Times Square promo performance thing doesn’t carry weight (cough).

U2 has delayed tour dates for:
Edge’s daughter
Bono’s back injury
Bono’s bike injury

To think they wouldn’t do the same for Larry *seems* crazy but this band’s actions rarely make sense anymore.

And they almost didn’t play the show without Adam. The only reason they did was because they had to prepare for filming the pay per view special. Had that impetus not been present they probably would have cancelled. Things have changed in the 29 years since, but it’s hard to believe things have changed so much that they’d willingly play without a member just so they could be the first to play a venue.

Last edited:
Larry literally said the band has all sorts of ideas for next year in the same quite where he said he isn’t playing next year. Bono literally said Vegas is a plan centred around AB in the same interview he referred to someone in the band being broken. These aren’t conceptual leaps.

“I won't be performing live next year. I don't know what the band's plan is. There's talk of all kinds of things.”

While this isn’t explicit about live performances, Bono was. I don’t understand why this is confusing?

Bono didn’t say they were playing. He said they may play. His statements haven’t been explicit, they’ve been hypothetical. You’re acting like the shows have been confirmed.

Last edited:

Bono didn’t say they were playing. He said they may play.

Bono didn’t say they weren’t playing, he said they may play. He also spoke in terms of making it happen, rather than dismissing a rumour which he would do if they weren’t at least considering it. The burden of proof here is not on the people saying the evidence suggests something MIGHT happen, it’s on those saying that it DEFINITELY WON’T happen despite the direct quotes.

Bono didn’t say they were playing. He said they may play. His statements haven’t been explicit, they’ve been hypothetical. You’re acting like the shows have been confirmed.

Actually, that’s wrong - I’m arguing against those saying it definitely won’t happen. I’m saying evidence and logic says that it might.

The key difference here is that the WON’T side is arguing absolutes.

Of course it might happen. It depends on how important the payday for opening the sphere is to them. They’ll probably wait, though. It’s not like next fall is an anniversary that needs honouring, unless they honour the end of tours now. Also, you’re assuming that “making it happen” means “playing with a new drummer,” not “making it happen with broken ol’ Lawrence “ And you’re assuming that the “all kinds of things” being discussed include playing with a new drummer.

Another reason why it’s unlikely: the rehearsal time that would be required to break in a new drummer to briefly replace the guy they’ve been playing with for 46 years.

Last edited:
They certainly couldn't find the rehearsal time for, oh, long time Larry drum tech Sam O'Sullivan, who knows all of the parts necessary already, with 10 months to go.

That's certainly not within the realm of logic.

11671556-4390-44f3-bf19-672cd6aa0d02_text.gif

Knowing the parts is one thing, gelling with Bono, Edge and especially Adam - and the technology - is another matter entirely, and it would require a lot of rehearsal. Playing with people is more than knowingly parts, especially for musicians who are playing at the highest level. You’re also assuming that the tech knows all the parts, and he probably doesn’t. I really doubt they’d use a drum tech to play live. They’d probably hire a pro. The only reason they used a tech once in 1993 was because they had no choice.

You’re giving a lot of reasons why it’s possible they play with a new drummer for a few shows. Nobody is disputing that it’s possible. Anything is possible. What’s under dispute is the likelihood of it happening and there are *a lot* of reasons why it’s very unlikely to occur. Also, find another movie to run into the ground. Poor Gene has suffered enough.

Last edited:

Sam O’Sullivan has been working with U2 since 1978, and has been Larry’s full time drum tech since 1986. I think he MAY have jammed with the rest of the band once or twice in the last 36 years.

If this has been posted already then I apologize, I didn't see it anywhere.
Larry was at home attending his father's funeral and taking care of those affairs. For a few days leading up to the debut of the IE tour in Vancouver, they rehearsed with a drummer named Keith. He does pretty good, he's obviously a very talented professional. But you can certainly tell it's somebody else playing drums.

I can't imagine them playing a show without Larry. Somebody on u2start shared a rumor that the venue is unlikely to be ready by fall of 2023 now due to various delays, so it may not be a problem anyway. But I really hope they do SOMETHING in 2023, like... I don't know.... RELEASE SONGS.

Sam O’Sullivan has been working with U2 since 1978, and has been Larry’s full time drum tech since 1986. I think he MAY have jammed with the rest of the band once or twice in the last 36 years.

Sure. That’s still very different from being able to replace the drummer they’ve been playing with for 46 years in a concert setting. You’re really underestimating the importance of chemistry and feel to musicians, particularly to self taught musicians as idiosyncratic as U2. And they learned to play together. They’re not like most other musicians who played with a lot of different people when they were developing and became adept at playing with others. That insularity would make it even more difficult for another drummer to slot in.

Last edited:
We're missing the obvious solution here, especially if the Vegas shows are Zoo TV-themed. Instead of U2 playing along with video Lou Reed, Bono/Edge/Adam can play along with Video Larry.

Actually, that’s wrong - I’m arguing against those saying it definitely won’t happen. I’m saying evidence and logic says that it might.

The key difference here is that the WON’T side is arguing absolutes.
There’s also a difference between saying we ‘think it won’t happen’ and ‘it won’t happen full stop end of discussion’. It’s a debate about the strength of the rumours and how to interpret the words. You see a clear link between the first part of Larry’s sentence and the next, I see it as him saying he won’t be playing live then moving on to say I don’t know what ‘we’re’ planning to do as a band. He didn’t use the word we but he also didn’t say I don’t know what ‘they’ are planning to do. So you need to accept there are different interpretations. Anything is possible but that doesn’t mean people can’t think something won’t happen just like you can think it might happen.

We're missing the obvious solution here, especially if the Vegas shows are Zoo TV-themed. Instead of U2 playing along with video Lou Reed, Bono/Edge/Adam can play along with Video Larry.

Which era Larry would we put in to the hologram generator machine? And is the technology advanced enough to cope with the wide range of facial expressions it would have to simulate?

There’s also a difference between saying we ‘think it won’t happen’ and ‘it won’t happen full stop end of discussion’. It’s a debate about the strength of the rumours and how to interpret the words. You see a clear link between the first part of Larry’s sentence and the next, I see it as him saying he won’t be playing live then moving on to say I don’t know what ‘we’re’ planning to do as a band. He didn’t use the word we but he also didn’t say I don’t know what ‘they’ are planning to do. So you need to accept there are different interpretations. Anything is possible but that doesn’t mean people can’t think something won’t happen just like you can think it might happen.

So you’re interpretation is that he flits between thoughts without explaining them and then means words that aren’t there. Got it.

So you’re interpretation is that he flits between thoughts without explaining them and then means words that aren’t there. Got it.
What words are there that mean the band are thinking of touring without him? It seems like you are doing the very thing you are accusing me of which is to interpret the words he used. You seem to be suggesting he wouldn’t ‘flit between thoughts’ as you put it, why would he not? Also do you think Larry doesn’t see himself as part of the band anymore? Because his words were he didn’t know what ‘the bands’ plans are so you must believe he isn’t including himself as part of the band. I personally think Larry does still see himself as part of the band hence why his sentences were about separate things, firstly about not playing live and secondly about what the bands plans are in general. What is it with u2 fans online not being able to accept a different point of view. Don’t need to agree but at least accept that just because you believe something doesn’t make it right (or wrong for that matter). A bit rich earlier when you say people are trying to argue in absolutes when what you are suggesting is anyone who interprets it differently from you is wrong, almost trying to paint them as foolish for seeing it differently to you.

Last edited:
What words are there that mean the band are thinking of touring without him? It seems like you are doing the very thing you are accusing me of which is to interpret the words he used. You seem to be suggesting he wouldn’t ‘flit between thoughts’ as you put it, why would he not? Also do you think Larry doesn’t see himself as part of the band anymore? Because his words were he didn’t know what ‘the bands’ plans are so you must believe he isn’t including himself as part of the band. I personally think Larry does still see himself as part of the band hence why his sentences were about separate things, firstly about not playing live and secondly about what the bands plans are in general. What is it with u2 fans online not being able to accept a different point of view. Don’t need to agree but at least accept that just because you believe something doesn’t make it right (or wrong for that matter). A bit rich earlier when you say people are trying to argue in absolutes when what you are suggesting is anyone who interprets it differently from you is wrong, almost trying to paint them as foolish for seeing it differently to you.
that's your opinion.

that's your opinion.
Even though I detect more than a hint of sarcasm it’s pretty much all opinion, that’s the point. If we can’t accept other points of view or talk like adults what’s the point of having online discussions or any sort of discussion?

Which era Larry would we put in to the hologram generator machine? And is the technology advanced enough to cope with the wide range of facial expressions it would have to simulate?

Good question.

I think Joshua Tree Larry is classic Larry. Those boyish good looks, a twinkle in the eye. Jeans, brothel creepers and a plain white t-shirt. Peak Larry.

But what about a more contemporary, brooding Larry? Longer hair, slicked back obviously, but add-in the Zoo TV OB beard? Would it be more complex & expensive to render a beard and a few more wrinkles?

This is U2

I assume nothing in 2023

They’ll ditch the guitar focused album and Edge falls in love with the piano again. Really wants to get to the essence of the chords and notes

Larry will recover and do his PT

2024 we will hear rumblings of the Vegas show (those construction / venues always have delays)

2025 we get a new album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom