Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It reads like a guy who wants to play but has to wait. No more, no less. It’s the other quote that suggests displeasure with how things are run, and not knowing what the band is doing fits in with that. Nowhere does he or anyone else say that they’re thinking of playing without him. There’s talk of all kinds of things - that doesn’t necessarily include shows. The Vegas shows probably haven’t been officially announced because they didn’t know if they’ll be able to play them.

Last edited:
no guys who are pissed that their band for over 40 years is considering playing without him typically sit down for pleasant interviews about the band's history and discuss said possibility of his mates playing a few shows without him.

that's something that normally happens.

it's game time.

good. day.

70c36a39-758f-4669-ac3e-556308778e49_4+powerful+marketing+lessons+image+1.gif

Because the Vegas shows wouldn’t be part of a regular tour.

Because the Vegas shows would be timed to coincide with the opening of the venue.

They are unique and moment in time shows.

Because of that you can spin a story around why it’s “ok” for a band member not to be there. It would be different if said band member was missing for an entire album and tour cycle. That’d effectively be the end of the band as we know it.

Matt Cameron is such a force within Pearl Jam now that it would be weird seeing them with someone else - and he's the replacement.

Though some of us did see some shows with Abbruzzese, and as great as Cameron is, I'd have no issue if by some miracle Dave and Eddie made up and Dave was welcomed back.

But to the point at hand, let's just look at the recent example of ZZ Top. The classic trio had been together from 1970-2021 when Dusty Hill took ill and sadly passed. Hill hand picked his replacement and wanted the band to go on. They have. Larry's situation is far less dire, and he appears to be OK with the band playing some gigs in 2023 should it come to pass without him while he hopefully heals up. Heck for all we know he may even be hand picking a substitute. Is it coincidence that Tommy Lee, Danny Carey and Jason Bonham were all recently seen flying into Dublin?

Though some of us did see some shows with Abbruzzese, and as great as Cameron is, I'd have no issue if by some miracle Dave and Eddie made up and Dave was welcomed back.

But to the point at hand, let's just look at the recent example of ZZ Top. The classic trio had been together from 1970-2021 when Dusty Hill took ill and sadly passed. Hill hand picked his replacement and wanted the band to go on. They have. Larry's situation is far less dire, and he appears to be OK with the band playing some gigs in 2023 should it come to pass without him while he hopefully heals up. Heck for all we know he may even be hand picking a substitute. Is it coincidence that Tommy Lee, Danny Carey and Jason Bonham were all recently seen flying into Dublin?

you know who loves guinness?

animal-muppet-gif.gif

I do find it quite funny when Alice Cooper and Bono talk about how Larry does his drum parts depending on what the lyrics are. Like come on Larry, you’re gonna do the same shit no matter the lyrics.

I do find it quite funny when Alice Cooper and Bono talk about how Larry does his drum parts depending on what the lyrics are. Like come on Larry, you’re gonna do the same shit no matter the lyrics.

I don't know, pretty sure "Refujesus" resulted in an extra cymbal.

no guys who are pissed that their band for over 40 years is considering playing without him typically sit down for pleasant interviews about the band's history and discuss said possibility of his mates playing a few shows without him.

that's something that normally happens.

it's game time.

good. day.

70c36a39-758f-4669-ac3e-556308778e49_4+powerful+marketing+lessons+image+1.gif

…a pleasant interview where he talks about what he’d like to change in U2 world

He didn’t discuss missing U2 gigs. He said that if they play he won’t be there. He also said there are no plans. You’re reading what you want to read into his comments.

Based on the band’s history and what we currently know about their future, can you at least admit that it’s unlikely they’d plan to play shows without a member?

Last edited:
…a pleasant interview where he talks about what he’d like to change in U2 world

He didn’t discuss missing U2 gigs. He said that if they play he won’t be there. He also said there are no plans. You’re reading what you want to read into his comments.

Based on the band’s history and what we currently know about their future, can you at least admit that it’s unlikely they’d plan to play shows without a member?

EhYOaPh.gif

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/geoffedgers/status/1597416047346274305[/TWEET]
https://twitter.com/geoffedgers/status/1597416047346274305

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/U2start/status/1591777902730698752[/TWEET]
https://twitter.com/U2start/status/1591777902730698752

i-know-what-youre-thinking-willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory.gif

The rest of the band shouldn’t be cool with it for personal and musical reasons: it won’t sound like U2 without him.

i-promise-you-theyll-be-quite-all-right-willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory.gif

Get Bill Berry to fill in, add Peter Buck on second guitar and keys and call the band Achtung People. Then they can have a battle of the bands against Automatic Baby.

This is genuinely an argument between people on one hand saying “hey this thing may be possible. The person literally said it is, and here’s some evidence and logic to support it” and people on the other being obstinate saying “no. This thing that involves other humans can’t happen because of MY emotions.”

Fascinating.
I don’t think it’s really like that at all. People aren’t saying it can’t happen because of their emotions people are saying based on who this band are, 40+ years in the business and so much talk about the importance of the collective unit, that it would seem unlikely to happen, I don’t think it will happen. I know vegas has been teased but I think if Larry is out it’s not happening. I don’t take Larry’s comments to mean that the band are considering playing vegas without him. It may be that they do some stripped back stuff to promote SOS, but I don’t think full on u2 shows are on the cards without Larry. So the evidence and logic to support it is debatable in terms of what it really means , hence why it’s being debated.

It’s possible, of course. Probable is another matter. Ultimately it heavily depends on four things: the deal with Dolan, the Sphere construction timeline, Larry’s recovery timeline, and U2’s next album/tour.

We don’t know the specifics of the first or third, so let’s say the Sphere is ready on time and U2 can decide to be first or wait for Larry.

If U2 can’t open the Sphere, does it lessen their draw for an Achtung/Zoo special residency? Not at all. If they were the first band or the fifth band, it’s a limited residency in a very special setting for a redux of their best tour. Those tix are going to sell. The band is going to get positive press and reengage with their core audience (or at least the ones who can afford to go).

BUT

Would a shift in timing affect their next album and associated tour plans? It doesn’t have to. They’d be warmed up and could work on it in between shows if they’re actually focused and not, uhhh, lazy. Ahem. Yet this begs a larger question - if Larry’s playing ability is limited until 2024, how are they going to record a new album *and* release it for a tour later that year without the requisite extended period of beating the spark out of the music?? Kidding sorta but not quite.

Pushing back the Vegas shows could throw their entire promotion plan (classic album residency, new album, world tour) into the shitter, so I could understand the hesitancy to delay.

However, IMO, an all-out, technically advanced stage show for their *other* beloved album without THE founding member feels kinda crappy at best, flat-out wrong at worst. And if this is the launch of their next promotional period as “connecting with our core fanbase” elder statesmen, it’s all too easy to read a Larry-less jaunt it as yet another unforced error from a band who, for over a decade now, can’t seem to…

get out of their own way.

IMG_5970.JPG

Last edited:

In all likelihood they are balancing conversations about their age and ticking clocks vs having a short run of gigs that are time bound because of the venue go ahead without him. It would no doubt be a hard conversation to have, but it is not without precedent for bands of their status, nor u2 themselves to have short periods where one can’t make it.

Bono has talked recently about their age and being quicker releasing music and satisfying the fans, and then immediately they delay plans to release things because of Larry’s health. This would be challenging for them, and I dare say they’d be having very real conversations on the right thing to do in the context they find themselves in. The past is not an indicator here, because so much is different and unique to this set of circumstances. Assuming they won’t go ahead, or shouldn’t, because “this is U2” is not going to make it more or less likely. Fact is, they have mentioned the shows during the period they have known about his issues, and he himself said he won’t play next year, but the band has all sorts of plans. The conjecture here is a mental block for the fans, not the band. I think the fact they are weighing this up is quite clear.

Last edited:
He didn’t say the band had all sorts of plans. He said he doesn’t know what the plan is and that there’s talk of all kinds of things.

It’s not clear that they’re weighing plying without Larry - there’s been no indication that they’re considering such a thing.

The past absolutely is an indicator: it’s shown us how the band operates, and it’s been consistent. If a member is unable to play shows, they wait.

Last edited:
In all likelihood they are balancing conversations about their age and ticking clocks vs having a short run of gigs that are time bound because of the venue go ahead without him. It would no doubt be a hard conversation to have, but it is not without precedent for bands of their status, nor u2 themselves to have short periods where one can’t make it.

Bono has talked recently about their age and being quicker releasing music and satisfying the fans, and then immediately they delay plans to release things because of Larry’s health. This would be challenging for them, and I dare say they’d be having very real conversations on the right thing to do in the context they find themselves in. The past is not an indicator here, because so much is different and unique to this set of circumstances. Assuming they won’t go ahead, or shouldn’t, because “this is U2” is not going to make it more or less likely. Fact is, they have mentioned the shows during the period they have known about his issues, and he himself said he won’t play next year, but the band has all sorts of plans. The conjecture here is a mental block for the fans, not the band. I think the fact they are weighing this up is quite clear.
Common sense and rationality is not welcome in this conversation, sir.

Common sense & rationality = conjecture and making factual errors

No wonder you have a headache

I think it’s far from clear that the band are weighing up playing without Larry. So far from clear there’s more than a few people who think the complete opposite. You have a different view of things that’s all but fans aren’t just using what they want or don’t want to happen to shape their opinion. The timeline so far is vegas was mentioned as a possibility by Bono after being directly asked about it in an interview, although also according to Bono new music would need to be released and the venue ready obviously . Since then Larry has said that he won’t play live next year. He then said he didn’t know what the bands plan is and that there is talk of all kinds of things. All of that pieced together can be interpreted in plenty of different ways and isn’t clear at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom