Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would have made much less sense to announce/release a 4 cd set that’s going to take so much attention away from a book that’s been worked on for years. Obviously leaving it too long wouldn’t be a good move either as the 2 are clearly linked but they’ve got to let people read/listen to the book, get all the reviews in etc then release the album. I doubt we’ll be waiting any longer than a week or 2 at most and possibly even as soon as days maybe. Makes complete sense to me.

Ok, but each chapter begins with lyrics being quoted, except the lyrics for Stories for Boys and I Will Follow that are presented are not the lyrics for songs that currently exist. That will lead to confused readers, especially since there’s no mention that songs used as framing devices were rewritten. The should have released the album a month or two ago, that way the book would still have the spotlight and there’d be an explanation for the book having different lyrics for songs. Releasing the album tomorrow is just as nonsensical as releasing it n January.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but from an October interview Bono talks about the Netflix show. Says he was approached by JJ Abrams and Bad Robot to use the memoir as a starting off point to do a series and it's still in the early stages.

Ok, but each chapter begins with lyrics being quoted, except the lyrics for Stories for Boys and I Will Follow that are presented are not the lyrics for songs that currently exist. That will lead to confused readers, especially since there’s no mention that songs used as framing devices were rewritten. The should have released the album a month or two ago, that way the book would still have the spotlight and there’d be an explanation for the book having different lyrics for songs. Releasing the album tomorrow is just as nonsensical as releasing it n January.

I don't know if the album would have really made too much sense without the book though. Releasing them both on the same day would have been the best bet, but I still think a release tomorrow would be good, he's in full promo swing. But again with this band. He just did high profile, huge audience interviews and could have talked about the "accompanying album" coming out on ______.

sigh.

It is a bit odd that they weren’t released in tandem. It could have been part of a deluxe audio package or on its own the same day. I get that this is centered around Bono’s book and it’s time to shine and the band are getting credits on the new versions. I’d imagine we will get an announcement soon in the next coming weeks.

I doubt the lyrics being different is going to cause confusion of any significance. For people that notice I think the assumption will just be alternative lyrics are on the page, an early take of a song maybe would be the first guess for people. By the time they get to the end of the book if they really are intrigued by it and looking for an explanation then it’s at the back of the book as Bono says they’ve been working on the songs. Releasing the album a few months ago wouldn’t be a good move either imo, the book and album are tied in still so you want them released as closely together as possible without taking the shine of the book as music is always going to trump a book I would argue in the case of a band or band member. January is a lot different to releasing it tomorrow or next week even when there’s still some hype around the book, there’s still a tour going on, interviews etc. By January the momentum would be lost a bit

nsw-2.jpeg

:lol:

YES!

I think there would be something poetic about surprise releasing the album tomorrow without automatically downloading it to 500 million people. Just a simple option to stream it on your platform of choice, should you want to.

I feel like it would actually generate a decent amount of buzz simply for “righting the wrong” of SoI. A clever little wink to the world that they learned their lesson.

I think there would be something poetic about surprise releasing the album tomorrow without automatically downloading it to 500 million people. Just a simple option to stream it on your platform of choice, should you want to.

I feel like it would actually generate a decent amount of buzz simply for “righting the wrong” of SoI. A clever little wink to the world that they learned their lesson.
I wouldn’t be surprised if that is exactly what happens, hopefully tomorrow, but whenever it is announced I do think it will be instantly available digitally.

For reasons I can’t remember, I thought the buzz around the release date was Nov 18

For reasons I can’t remember, I thought the buzz around the release date was Nov 18
That’s the date u2songs mentioned for release many months ago. There’s been hints since that a digital release could be sooner and more suddenly like as described above as opposed to an announcement followed by a wait.

That’s the date u2songs mentioned for release many months ago. There’s been hints since that a digital release could be sooner and more suddenly like as described above as opposed to an announcement followed by a wait.

Yep. I got the impression (though can’t remember why) that the thought was a digital release was 18 Nov, physical was prepared but for some reason may be early next year, and a single should precede the digital release by a couple of weeks.

Yep. I got the impression (though can’t remember why) that the thought was a digital release was 18 Nov, physical was prepared but for some reason may be early next year, and a single should precede the digital release by a couple of weeks.
Surprisingly (as they’re usually always right and don’t normally quote wrong dates) u2 songs mentioned 1st November on here for an announcement. I think at this stage a single isn’t part of the plan anymore from the sounds of it.

https://www.u2songs.com/news/upcoming

No criticism of u2songs in case it reads that way, I know the bands plans can change up until the last minute. Friday is the usual release day for music so I’m expecting it between tomorrow, 11th or 18th at this point.

Last edited:
The promotional strategy for SoS seems to be in flux for one reason or another - the change in rumours seemed to coincide with the next album being pushed from early to late 2023, and the potential change in management. Wouldn't surprise me if they're all related.

Maybe going back to do significant work on the next album to make it more 'rock and roll' meant they decided to focus on recording new stuff rather than promoting SoS, meaning a quieter release for SoS, sans-single?

I've also gotten the impression we'll get it on the 18th - would have thought an announcement would come tomorrow, but things seem so quiet, so probably either next week or a surprise release.

If we get to November 18, and we still haven’t heard anything, then I think we can certainly speculate that they never come out. Or that maybe it will end up being a fan club gift or something.

Bono played WOWY on Colbert for tonight’s show

As far as I know this is the only planned public broadcast of Bono performing any remade songs (all other TV appearances are interview-only, and of course the book tour makes the audience put away their phones).

We'll find out for sure when it airs, but I could've sworn the recording of a prior show had a version of WoWY that was a little electronic and dancey, and could have made for a great single.

I'm just dreaming at this stage, but imagine SoS announcement tomorrow, WoWY released as a single, with it having just been performed on the Late Show...

I hope the confused people are not overly traumatized, and have access to the proper mental health care to get through this difficult time until SOS comes out.

Anyone else burning through the audiobook? I’m on chapter 35 and it’s been all about his activism for a while now, which, I’m not complaining about. I’m hoping he goes into the recording process of No Line and the last few albums though.

Anyone else burning through the audiobook? I’m on chapter 35 and it’s been all about his activism for a while now, which, I’m not complaining about. I’m hoping he goes into the recording process of No Line and the last few albums though.

That’s my only complaint really about the book so far (you’re further ahead than I am). The lack of discussing how songs were recorded, what went on in the studio etc.

Most reviews I've read made it clear that he didn't spend much of the book talking about the band's process and the music, so I'm not expecting there to be.

Also trying to take my time with and not plow through it so quickly.

Really enjoyed the performance. Listening to it makes me think the audiobook stuff is edited far more than we realise. Like they decided for the book that acoustic and piano was the right tone, but there’s more texture in other parts of the mix they just weren’t highlighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom