Songs of Innocence Promo Tour - Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love The Miracle on the album, but the two full band live versions so far have sounded like a mess to my ears. Something is just "off" and I don't exactly know what it is. They've sounded very bare with no real drive and big sound behind them. Even the main guitar riff just doesn't have the kick or the depth & warmth of sound that it does on the record.

Totally opposite here. I can't even listen to the Apple event version, it's so precious and processed. The Norton version sounds 'bare' because it's just four people playing. As far as I can tell, the only sequencing they have in there is the chorus of Edge's voice on the 'oh's'. Yep, it's messy and raw, which for me is the only thing that makes that song listenable at all.

The setlists on this promo tour are getting soooooo predictable

Sent from my LG-D855 using U2 Interference mobile app

Bono:

Interplanetary delivery. The next big thing: We want to bring our songs to Mars.

Oh, but Adam...that shirt? Um, no.

It's the same shirt from the FB vid. Clearly he likes it. :giggle:

And so do I. He looks smashing as always. :love:

Finally saw Norton clips last night (had to use YT as the BBC site won't work for us non-UKers) and I loved the interview. They need more of that. :)

Songs were good. About time they plugged in!!

Gonna have to wait to listen to iheartradio of B and Lar....its nearly 30 mins long so its gonna be on library wifi and not my crappy data plan (only 15GB a month for 3 devices). Anyone have a link for the Adam/Edge interview?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Good idea from The Edge, same article :

You sing instead of sexual abuse. "Sleep like a baby tonight" is a ballad that you hum along to quickly - until you realize: It's about a pedophile priest. What draws you into such depths?

Bono:

That was not my idea, but the Edge. It's complicated, because on the CD we have the song yet published a second version - with a different lyric. The first tells the story from the victim's point of view. Then Edge asked me what I thought of writing a second version, from the point of view of the priest. My first reaction was: "Man, but this is really very, very dark, Edge What is going through your head at the moment ?"

What went through his head?

Bono:

He only told me that he was so incredibly angry about all these abuses, especially on the way, as the Catholic Church does circumvent and tried to play down the problem. There is still no real justice for the many victims and too little support for groups that take care of the victims. I wrote the lyrics quickly, the band liked them. Thank God.

I read that interview in German in today's "Welt". The first half is pretty crappy because the interviewer is very aggressive and highly biased against U2. At some point, Bono clearly has enough of being attacked by this guy all the time and turns the game around by starting to ask him certain questions. Then he asks to finally speak about the music. From there, the interview is fine, but it's still annoying to read the comments of such a hostile interviewer. Plus, translations are often used to manipulate what's being said, so I always read translated interviews (like English to German) with some caution.

I like aggressive, skeptical interviews. I wouldn't want them all to be that way, of course, but when they continuously get asked the same softball questions by adoring presenters, inviting the same rehearsed answers, it gets pretty boring. Skeptical interviews can elicit responses you might not otherwise hear, so I welcome them.

The best is probably some middle ground, by a real interviewer who isn't just thrilled to be in their presence, who knows how to ask tough questions but doesn't need to be an ass about it. Or someone like Norton who can take the piss out of them in a funny way. But the sad fact is most celebrity interviews are done by people infatuated with celebrities.

Mircle didn´t work except the intro, I´m surprised they haven´t figured it out yet. Damn, it sounds likedad oldschool rock. I wouldn´t mind if they drop it. It prooves how much better and exciting Boots were.

Boots better then miracle?? I much prefer miracle

Hard to read that first German interview, but worthwhile. Thanks for posting!

Bad form on Herbert Gronenmeyer. He should have asked his friend Bono about the iTunes deal before he publicly berated his friend for a business deal. Agreed!

I appreciated Bono's Soderbergh Liberace comparison. Bono, Larry, the band are not taking the baloney lying down. Good for them! :applaud:

"I can not remember having read in the context Soderbergh had thus betrayed the art of film me."
(Quote from the translation) The band, Bono, really does have to spoon feed things. It must get tiring and they've such patience and grace!

Bono - "Do not you have any questions about our music?" His patience now is waning a bit. :sexywink:

Edge had the idea or actually wrote the lyrics for SLABT? I'm still wanting to know how/why The Edge was giving lyrics credit after all these years. I had lots of ?s I wanted to ask for the band's Facebook Q&A, but I settled on this one. I still want to know! :hmm:

I'm a little surprised there's nothing else going on after Jools Holland and that acoustic set for German radio.

So is jools holland on Tuesday?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Yes yes. Can't believe it's the first time. Probably just two songs, maaaybe three. If two likely just Miracle/EBW again, but it would be great if they recognise that this is a very different audience and different opportunity and do something different. Where is Lykke Li at the moment?

Oh yeah i forgot about jools holland. Cant believe they havent done anything in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom