Songs of Innocence Promo Tour - Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt they know more than we do at the moment. There's a lot of speculation going on on fan sites but Edge and Bono have both said recently that they haven't fixed all the dates and venues for the tour yet.

That Germany performance... unfortunately the same kind of show we are witnessing on this promo tour. Acoustic, stripped down versions. I miss some magic of U2 songs. I think releasing Bonus disc was nice. But I don´t know why they feel the need to proove themselves that their songs are good enough without their sonic congeniality. I´m afraid it won´t be only the promo, but on tour it will go on...:doh:

Acoustic is boring. I agree. Achtung Baby had fantastic songs and I think many would agree. But Zoo Station on acoustic would just take away from it.

Acoustic in and of it's self isn't boring.

Acoustic when that's all you get, and you haven't even heard the songs in full band form yet, is boring.

I was at a Pearl Jam show at MSG when Eddie decided to do something they've never tried before and took a song that nobody would ever think would work as an acoustic song, Lukin, and play it as a ballad with just an acoustic guitar and a small string quartet. It was beautiful and an absolute highlight of all the shows I've seen them do (which is many).

But this was 20 or so songs into the show, and of course we've all heard Lukin in it's full glory before... so the difference in the two performances was stark and breathtaking.

Lukin
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhv0L2a8Avs

Slow Lukin
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbJ4JrArl0Y

The version of One with just Edge on guitar with an orchestra? Unreal. But it was a unique performance, and one after we've heard the song played full band for years.

This promo tour is a snooze fest because we've never heard the songs before and are desperate to hear them in their full glory... but the band seems to not want to do that, at least not yet.

Acoustic in and of it's self isn't boring.

Acoustic when that's all you get, and you haven't even heard the songs in full band form yet, is boring.

I was at a Pearl Jam show at MSG when Eddie decided to do something they've never tried before and took a song that nobody would ever think would work as an acoustic song, Lukin, and play it as a ballad with just an acoustic guitar and a small string quartet. It was beautiful and an absolute highlight of all the shows I've seen them do (which is many).

But this was 20 or so songs into the show, and of course we've all heard Lukin in it's full glory before... so the difference in the two performances was stark and breathtaking.

Lukin
Pearl Jam - Lukin [live Argentina 03/04/2013] - YouTube

Slow Lukin
Pearl Jam - Lukin (Slow Version) - (MSG New York 2010-05-21) Multicam - YouTube

The version of One with just Edge on guitar with an orchestra? Unreal. But it was a unique performance, and one after we've heard the song played full band for years.

This promo tour is a snooze fest because we've never heard the songs before and are desperate to hear them in their full glory... but the band seems to not want to do that, at least not yet.

Yeah, I totally agree. I'm a big acoustic fan. I LOVE Ryan Adams and Patty Griffin and the like. But guess what, they DO acoustic music. For real. It's what they do, it's often breathtakingly beautiful on first listen.

The problem with SOI songs is that you can tell that they were initially put together for real, as their finished product, as a non-acoustic song and now it feels more forced to play them acoustically.

I like my U2 electric and fully processed whether they are killing it with mofo, or doing it quietly like MLK, or Please. That's what THEY do best. So please, start doing it!!!

We have to keep in mind that they are mainly promoting the deluxe set right now since half the world has already heard the regular album versions, so this might also be a reason why they're going for the acoustic performances of the songs right now. It will be interesting to see if we'll get various versions of certain songs once the tour starts and how the band will do when trying to play different versions for different live settings.

When I first heard their intentions for "two different style concerts per city" or something like that, I thought/wished for something like this:

1) Arena/Stadium full concert, the "official" well known massive concert, AND
2) Theatre/Pub/Studio intimate acoustic presentation, easy to fill and basically only interesting for real fans (they've been repeating for several years that they miss that intimacy).

When I thought about that I really wished they went this route.

Nothing will ever top the Bulls' use of Alan Parsons Project's Sirius

Chicago Bulls Introduction 1997 NBA Finals Game 6 - YouTube

We used that to introduce the wedding party when I got married . (And I'm a Celtics fan)

Haha. I was DJ for a friends wedding and they did the same thing. I did put on my PA voice and only messed up one name :)

And yes the Bulls intro is the pinnacle of sports introductions. Not only did the opposing teams get to see the championship banners, they then realized they were about to get destroyed by Jordan & the Bulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom