Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KROQ? I stream Live 105 (from SF) and they are owned by the same company, and they have the SAME playlist (go to their webpages and look at the playlist link). I think KROQ played U2 ONE time after they dropped their album. Radio sucks...totally a product of what big corporations want them to play.

so I'm assuming we're not going to hear this album played on the radio? If that's the case.....then that's bullshit. U2 can forget about getting a hit song on the radio which we all know is something they crave. so much crap on the radio and yet they refuse to play anything. 4 or 5 songs would seem to be perfect fits for different stations in Los Angeles

so I'm assuming we're not going to hear this album played on the radio? If that's the case.....then that's bullshit. U2 can forget about getting a hit song on the radio which we all know is something they crave. so much crap on the radio and yet they refuse to play anything. 4 or 5 songs would seem to be perfect fits for different stations in Los Angeles

I think we need to give it time on this one

Honestly couldn't disagree more, last three songs (+Iris) are the best on the album.

Opinions, ho! Must be a good sign.

Well, I listened to it again and I have to admit the last three have grown on me.
(despite the cheesy 80's synth and awkward falsetto singing in Sleep like a baby tonight).

It does seem like there's a variety of opinions on the album fave songs. Apart from EBW, there isn't a clear favourite.

Between Pandora, Sirius and my phone's mp3 player I can't remember the last time I listened to Terrestrial radio for anything other than news or traffic.

Well, I listened to it again and I have to admit the last three have grown on me.
(despite the cheesy 80's synth and awkward falsetto singing in Sleep like a baby tonight).

It does seem like there's a variety of opinions on the album fave songs. Apart from EBW, there isn't a clear favourite.

"there is still good in you U2Girl, I can feel it"

You'll come around

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Sleep like a Baby is just... wow. It is getting to my top spot, The Troubles is my current number one. But the guitar on Sleep is so good. and such subtle additions, most likely from DangerMouse. The twinkly glockenspiel/synth ending with the skittering gritty guitar. Just right. Great lyrics as well

:yes: The solos make the song. Interesting contrast between lyrics and the melody in Sleep like a baby tonight.

I've listened to the full album around 15 to 20 times now.
My opinion: it's a good record. And it's great that a band that is around for more than 30 years can still make these good listenable records. It's also a big stunt to give the album too so many people for free!

But it doesn't have the urgence of the first 3-4 albums, or the urgence that I hear even in later songs like 'Gone' or 'Please' on POP. It also doesn't have the by U2 so desired epic tunes / smash hits like WOWY, Streets, One, Beautiful Day. No innovation like Achtung Baby or Pop.

Just a decent album in my opinion. That took them 5 years... An album every fan of U2 will love to hear. But I'm wondering how many young people were really waiting for this album to arrive for free on their laptops. And, how many young people will like the album? The question the band asks themselves all the time 'Are we still relevant?' is a rhetorical question. But in my opinion that doesn't matter. They had their time. Young people love other bands now.

But it doesn't have the urgence of the first 3-4 albums, or the urgence that I hear even in later songs like 'Gone' or 'Please' on POP. It also doesn't have the by U2 so desired epic tunes / smash hits like WOWY, Streets, One, Beautiful Day. No innovation like Achtung Baby or Pop.

"Fuck the past. Kiss the future!"

I think EBW is WOWY-caliber. And a song like "Song for Someone" can go viral with a proper video.

Apple Users Download Free U2 Album Two Million Times | Re/code

BxW3T5RIcAIzLPJ.jpg

If an artist I disliked was pushed to my phone, I'd be annoyed, too. So I do get the annoyance by non U2 fans.

I don't care, but I get it.

Oh I would go ape shit. APE SHIT! It would be so incredibly irritating simply to dedicate 3 seconds to delete it.

But leave it to U2 to be as massive as possible. It's a ballsy move and they deserve credit for pulling it off. All the praise and criticism is deserving. It's all apart of the plan.

The unspoken bonus of all this negativity from the haters about having to delete the album is that finally U2 might be just saying eff it to that segment and stop trying to be everyone's friend.

Bono talks a lot on the album about being comfortable taking risks and being who you are. For U2, part of that is understanding a lot of people will hate you no matter what you do. And maybe they're now okay with that. They weren't for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom