Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From atu2
A deluxe version of Songs Of Innocence will be released on October 13th. The news release says it "will contain an acoustic session of select songs from the album plus four additional tracks: Lucifer’s Hands, The Crystal Ballroom, The Troubles (Alternative version), Sleep Like A Baby Tonight (Alternative Perspective Mix by Tchad Blake)."

I wonder which tracks would be perfect for acoustic version? Every Breaking Wave I think would be a good choice. Maybe Raised by Wolves, and The Troubles.

Anyone else not liking the cover?

I'm hoping that it's only a provisional cover because this one just doesn't feel like it's an "official" album to me.

Is anyone else getting this vibe?

I think I've said this before but I believe the cover art is temporary for the duration of the iTunes deal.. it fits the whole "white label" theme, "first play" deal they have going with Apple.

Wouldn't surprised to see the Deluxe version add a different album artwork.

I think I've said this before but I believe the cover art is temporary for the duration of the iTunes deal.. it fits the whole "white label" theme, "first play" deal they have going with Apple.

I dunno.. they're using it in their discography listing.. I think it's the final cover
U2 > Discography > Albums

Yeah I thought this too, but mostly because it would be hard to get a theme going for 'Songs of Experience' using that cover. I has really hoping something would come out of their connections with JR and Jose Parla.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

William Blake was quite the painter. Maybe they should use his original artwork from Innocence and Experience for the covers of Innocence and Experience. They've been stealing song titles from him for 25 years, it's the least they can do.

I initially thought that as well, but the style of the liner notes matches the cover pretty well, so I'd be a little surprised if they went a different direction at this point. But who knows...maybe they'll shock everyone again and release SOE right alongside the SOI physical release.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

SOE won't be free.

Sent from

More details on the retail (physical release) version: UMG Reveals U2 Bonus Package Release Plan for Retailers | Billboard

Well spotted.

Pertinent bits:

As it turns out, brick-and-mortar retail will get a deluxe package with four additional songs and two to seven acoustic versions. (The final number has yet to be determined.) The Songs of Innocence CD will carry a $12.90 wholesale price, which translates into a $19.98 list price. That means consumers will likely see it priced at $15-$16 in stores.

Brick-and mortar merchants, as well as music streaming services, will get the bonus tracks for a five-week window, just like Apple had on the non-deluxe version, after which iTunes will also get the additional bonus songs.

I don't care that much about the acoustic numbers, I don't think U2 does acoustic that well and I thought acoustic stuff from the Bomb deluxe was horrid. But I'm VERY interested in hearing these other four songs...that turns it into a 15 track record.

But I'm VERY interested in hearing these other four songs...that turns it into a 15 track record.

It's only 2 new songs Lucifer's Hands and Crystal Ballroom. The other two are an alternate The Troubles and a Sleep like a baby tonight Alternative Perspective Mix.

Just saw the Miracle/Apple ad on Thursday Night Football.

Sent from my HTC One using U2 Interference mobile app

It's only 2 new songs Lucifer's Hands and Crystal Ballroom. The other two are an alternate The Troubles and a Sleep like a baby tonight Alternative Perspective Mix.

Ah, got it. Well, I'll take two new songs. Remixes don't interest me much more than acoustic versions do...though I really want to hear an expanded Invisible.

Kinda cool that 18 is about to over take One Direction's Four for the #1 iTunes Album In The World

tumblr_lnwy9d0X5u1qh2mpqo1_500.gif

That was a great read. This piece, I agree with (although hello, it's "worst," not "worse" - get an editor!)

When U2 finished their lackluster performance at the Apple keynote, a weird skit began. Cook walked out onto the stage, asking in an overly deliberate voice, "Isn't that the best single you’ve ever heard?" (it isn't — it's one of the worse songs on the album).

That was a great read. This piece, I agree with (although hello, it's "worst," not "worse" - get an editor!)

When U2 finished their lackluster performance at the Apple keynote, a weird skit began. Cook walked out onto the stage, asking in an overly deliberate voice, "Isn't that the best single you’ve ever heard?" (it isn't — it's one of the worse songs on the album).

Yes, that was a great read. I particularly liked this bit:

Bono had an awkward moment before joining in. He looked at the ground, stuttering through his lines as they announced the partnership. Then, in a moment that was surely off-script, he said, “We are the blood in your machines, oh Zen master Tim Cook."

It was a tense exchange. Apple and U2 are alike in their limitless ambitions, but in the most important way they differ. Apple wants to change your life by fulfilling your desire for efficiency and simplicity. U2 want to change your life by making you believe — in a god, in love, in music, in yourself or, yes, in U2.

I remember thinking the "we are the blood in your machines" line seemed unscripted when Bono said it. And the first thing I thought of was way back when the iPod was first being developed, even before U2's involvement, Apple was running around trying to score licensing deals with all the major labels. Paul McG and a group record execs pushed Apple for not only a percentage of every song sold (of course), but also a cut from every iPod sold. The reasoning was that without the music, the iPod would just be a paperweight (Apple ultimately won this fight). Anyway, I believe that's what Bono means when he said that...and it did seem like a tense moment. Not that Bono wants a % of every iPod or iPhone sold, of course...that ship has sailed. But just how important art and music is to the whole Apple enterprise. Without the artists, iTunes is nothing. Apple is essentially as much as media company these days as they are a tech company.

It's so nice to have so much consensus here on Interference. We can be harsher than the harshest gnatty-hipsters (I know I've been on very critical of the lyrics since POP).

It's a good sign...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom