Songs Of Experience XII : RIP U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you expect this Friday at the IHeartRadio festival?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to put a damper on the positivity but my thought is if they have 16 songs on the cooker and they're struggling to consolidate then that pretty much confirms no new album this year. Most likely no single either. This band takes forever with this kind of stuff.

Dont know about it not being this year, but the 16-song quote rules out the possibility of a surprise release any time soon.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

They had at least 14 for SOI. They added Volcano at the last minute, and decided to hold Invisible, Lucifer's Hands and Crystal Ballroom for the bonus disc. I don't see how this is too different.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

In saying, I'm certainly not saying I think the album will drop this month. But I think it supports the idea of a single in the coming days far more than it contradicts it.

I hate to put a damper on the positivity but my thought is if they have 16 songs on the cooker and they're struggling to consolidate then that pretty much confirms no new album this year. Most likely no single either. This band takes forever with this kind of stuff.

This. It would be the mother of all surprise releases for me now.
I'm thinking March/April 2017.

Mind you, I'm still doubtful that they will play on Friday! :wink:

This. It would be the mother of all surprise releases for me now.

I'm thinking March/April 2017.

Mind you, I'm still doubtful that they will play on Friday! :wink:

They wouldn't be playing Friday without a plan, and IMO something is up their sleeves, why would he say he isn't supposed to talk about it yet?

It was pretty good interview. I got the impression that the tour is 2017 is far from a certain thing. Only reason to delay the tour is not finishing the album, so who knows with this band. Guess we'll just have to wait and see for Friday but I'm back in the 'not expecting anything' camp.

It was pretty good interview. I got the impression that the tour is 2017 is far from a certain thing. Only reason to delay the tour is not finishing the album, so who knows with this band. Guess we'll just have to wait and see for Friday but I'm back in the 'not expecting anything' camp.

But if we weren't expecting anything surely he would be saying they have bits of songs or 60 songs? He wouldn't be saying they have 14 ready to go would he?

In saying, I'm certainly not saying I think the album will drop this month. But I think it supports the idea of a single in the coming days far more than it contradicts it.

Agree. Don't see why this negatively affects a single release. But I voted for an album, so against every reasonable instinct I still hope for it on Friday.

But if we weren't expecting anything surely he would be saying they have bits of songs or 60 songs? He wouldn't be saying they have 14 ready to go would he?

He said they have 14 in the cooker. I don't know what stage of completion that is. Nearly done I'd imagine but who knows. Back at that Scott and Scott podcast thing they had 4 completed songs apparently. I don't think the state of completion says anything really, it's whenever Edge is happy enough to stop tinkering.

If the challenges facing them are that they need to decide how to get from 16 to 12 songs for an album, then there will be a single on Friday. There is no reason to not utilise the promotion opportunities presented to them. That is just indisputable logic.

If they do not play/release a new single this week, then the issues are far bigger than he let on.

If the challenges facing them are that they need to decide how to get from 16 to 12 songs for an album, then there will be a single on Friday. There is no reason to not utilise the promotion opportunities presented to them. That is just indisputable logic.

If they do not play/release a new single this week, then the issues are far bigger than he let on.

I honestly don't think there are any "issues" and just think people are looking into things a little to much

I honestly don't think there are any "issues" and just think people are looking into things a little to much

We'll know that by the time they walk off stage on Friday. I don't think we could honestly think everything is fine if they don't use this opportunity to release and push a single on commercial radio. It is everything they have wanted since 2005.

We'll know that by the time they walk off stage on Friday. I don't think we could honestly think everything is fine if they don't use this opportunity to release and push a single on commercial radio. It is everything they have wanted since 2005.

True, but we also know it's U2 and they always overthink things

In fact, if they are looking to whittle down the number of songs, then releasing the single makes even more sense because it will help them gauge what the public will like.

All I know is that this band defies all logic. I mean Edge isn't the only guy making decisions on which songs go on the album. If only God and Edge know when the album is done then it leads me to think that he's still working on the songs. Still you'd think they can at least release the single and take advantage of the radio thing.

I don't know. I think I'm happier expecting a few warhorses. The disappointment won't be so crushing

Everytime Bono talks about a random number of songs being there to choose from I get the feeling we are far from an album release

Everytime Bono talks about a random number of songs being there to choose from I get the feeling we are far from an album release

Haha, true. But at least we went from 60 ideas to 16 songs. Quite some progress :D I guess at this stage anything is possible. It could be done within a few days or many months.

16 songs as a quote means 16 songs. 60 ideas means they have some riffs and some other crap.

Yeah, great ... but if SOE would be ready for release soon, Bono would not talk about it this way (only God and Edge knows ... xx songs to choose from) .. I guess he would rather say something like "I cannot talk about it, but you might see something soon enough"

But what do I know ....

Also, weren't they mixing/tinkering SOI right up to the day before the release?

Also, weren't they mixing/tinkering SOI right up to the day before the release?

Yep, and that to me means that anything can happen. It can be quick or painfully long. Let's hope Edge and god hurry up.

What do any of us know? I am a minute to minute proposition - ask me now and I am sure the single is out tomorrow and they play it at iHeart. In a few minutes I'm convinced the whole thing is scrapped, and we may never see it

What do any of us know? I am a minute to minute proposition - ask me now and I am sure the single is out tomorrow and they play it at iHeart. In a few minutes I'm convinced the whole thing is scrapped, and we may never see it

:lol::up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom