Songs of Experience XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am betting Larry, because Edge tinkering seems to have pretty much become a part of the process.

So zooropa-esque, then? I'd be happy with that

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

The Best Thing, which, sadly, may be titled You're the Best Thing (About Me)

Actually its "You're the Best Thing (About Me) and Its a Miracle (of Dee Dee Ramone) That I Found You (So I Guess I Have Found What I'm Looking For) And I Want to Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) And Say I Love You (There Still is No End to Love)"

And? How do we even know for sure what the lead single will be?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
We don't know, you're right.. But I'm told The Best Thing is the single, what that's worth

I think they are doing everything this year, single next week, digital album release, various remixes, maybe virtual reality one off? crazy style video, new release ting, more experimental Zooropa attitude to everything with a faster release, less tinkering, more confident.....

Unless they aren't :D Maybe the new way of releasing method etc is not ready until early next year? And album release next year obviously generates ticket sails for the tour, so who knows..?

What I find strange is that if this single (notice it is worded single and not 'song' as in one off?) is a really good one, a catchy high quality U2 song that could give them the relevance etc, then why release it now as a one off and waste a top quality song that logically should be first single off a soon to be released album? not release something awesome and then release the album months and months later. Especially as they kinda did that last album release. Just doesnt make sense to me :scratch:

Bit tipsy right now so I may have missed something here but things do seem to be about to get going, and as folk have said, surely they are not doing just classic songs at these upcoming gigs, that makes no sense either. Come on U2 just let it all go...

Anyone have a working link for The Best Thing? Haven't listened to it in a couple weeks and wanted to give it another go.

:wave:

If it's Edge, and it's about him not being able to let the song go, then that's the most promising option. To me it implies less that they're unhappy/unconfident in the material, and more that he just wants to take advantage of all the time he can before it absolutely has to be released. He/the band do that for every album, and as he said, "u2 albums don't get finished, they just get released".

I feel like the more time you give the Edge, the more he likes to take a step back and simplify or make the song sound more mainstream. Like the cool guitar parts taken out of EBW, or the bluesy guitar solo taken out of Magnificent for the frustratingly simple slide guitar "solo". If the rest of them talked him into just going with what he already has, it could be a great thing.

The best thing. :wink:

I think there's an album coming this year. Let me convince you...

1/ These guys have not given up on relevance and chart position. It's not enough to just fill stadiums. Bono was once quoted saying he respected Radiohead and what they did, but he felt their experimental approach was in some ways a cop out compared to chasing hits (or something similar). Rightly or wrongly U2 still want chart dominance.
In 2020 - not that far away - two of the band members will turn 60. That's a psychological barrier many consumers just won't cross...
Right now they're probably at that last stop before being completely 'old'. I mean, Beautiful Day was big 16 years ago. That means there are lots of people in their early 20s running around today who remember U2 having huge radio play, humming the tune themselves.
Time is just as much the enemy here as "polish". If this album is released 2016 it gives them time for one more before they're 60. I think that matters.
If it's a 2017 release it's that much harder to get another one out pre 2020.

2/ The Best Thing is genuinely catchy. Catchy verse, catchy chorus, easy to remember the words. It really is an obvious single. That hasn't been the case since, well, Beautiful Day really... They want chart dominance. This is their best chance in years. They won't squander it.

3/ Think back to the last few albums. Preceding the release there's heaps of noise, mostly from Bono, about how great the songs are. He's been pilloried on this forum for that.
This time, virtually no noise. Some are interpreting that as a sign no album is coming. It could also be a sign the album is truly great. They know it. They know the songs will speak for themselves...

4/ This is all garbage and I'm really just talking myself into believing what I want to believe...

That first point is really interesting. I guess it's a choice between giving enough time to at least have another album after this one, or making sure this one is as good as it can be (and ultimately, surely they'd never release anything they weren't 100% on)

TBT clearly has a special quality to it. That's not a song you've made if you're 'still in the weeds'.

I feel that if they're a the mixing stage, that's not gonna stop them getting this thing out sooner rather than later. We're not talking about needing 'the big songs' and not having them, it's just a matter of getting the perfect mix. I'm sure anything can happen, but i think if it's simply a mixing issue, that shouldn't put the album into 2017.

FYI they haven't posted anything on social media since sunday. Anytime they go quiet I hope it's the calm before the storm.

I'm on team "Album in 2016".

I just think we are very close to getting a single, which would mean an album is not far behind.

Here is why, forget all of the rumors. The one real concrete fact we know is that a few weeks back a DJ played a new U2 song.

Was it a remix? Probably but can't be sure

Was he allowed to play it? Possibly but can't be sure

Is this song for the album or something else? Can't be sure

Was it played to be part of a video? Very possible but....can't be sure.

The only sure thing is that there is a new U2 song out there and that is the smoke before the fire (album ;) ).

The real question is: will this be the thread?

I am betting no.

I say the single will drop the moment we get to post number 143 in thread 12.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I wouldn't be surprised if they actually play ONE new song at iHeart (i.e. You're The Best Thing (About Me) ) .. and TBT also gets some air play or other form of official release .. but no mention of Songs of Experience just the typical "it's great to be back again .. 40 years and not getting tired ..."

then iHeart goes by .. and we have no clue about SOE ... guess that's a likely scenario

The U2 play would be to drop the single this week, probably Friday, let it sink in a little. Play it next Friday at iHeart. Announce the album, have the album drop end of October, do some promo work, sell the tickets around Thanksgiving / Christmas time, and then start the tour in the spring.

That is standard operating procedure for this band in the pre-Songs of Innocence era, and I think after the backlash from the SOI release, they'll fall back to what's worked for them in the past.

If this doesn't happen, and we here nothing... then for only knows when the album and tour will take place.

(Rather hopefully) I do think the single will be out Friday. Gives it one week to infiltrate radio before getting a boost after iheartradio and then a boost again after the (presumed) DJ Khaled video.

The U2 play would be to drop the single this week, probably Friday, let it sink in a little. Play it next Friday at iHeart. Announce the album, have the album drop end of October, do some promo work, sell the tickets around Thanksgiving / Christmas time, and then start the tour in the spring.

That is standard operating procedure for this band in the pre-Songs of Innocence era, and I think after the backlash from the SOI release, they'll fall back to what's worked for them in the past.

If this doesn't happen, and we here nothing... then for only knows when the album and tour will take place.

possible, but I also think the NLOTH "model" here is doable too. Push it back from Q4 to Q1, media takeovers (Letterman - probably Fallon this time, BBC - probably not after the U2=BBC backlash), etc.

I sort of think the iHeart gig forces them to release a single. Maybe they'll convince that fourth band member, whether it's Larry or Edge, to release it this year, and I will be wrong. But I dunno.

possible, but I also think the NLOTH "model" here is doable too. Push it back from Q4 to Q1, media takeovers (Letterman - probably Fallon this time, BBC - probably not after the U2=BBC backlash), etc.

I sort of think the iHeart gig forces them to release a single. Maybe they'll convince that fourth band member, whether it's Larry or Edge, to release it this year, and I will be wrong. But I dunno.
I think that this is possible as well... that they'll do a one off. But I think the most likely scenario is to jump in now.

They can hop onto the late night shoes and SNL during the fall premier time frame, when ratings are still high.

it makes the most sense, i agree.

everything has been a disaster under O'Seary though in terms of marketing. Wasting the Super Bowl commercial, Fallon's debut, the SOI push... no reason to have confidence in him to do the right thing, or to push the band to do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom